Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 02:43   #1
Default Spark, Santro, i10 or others - FE important - 1500kms/month, Rear seat not important

Hi fellows, need some advice on purchasing a small car. Any help is appreciated. Please share your views on making the choice (especially FE).

Shortlisted the following :

A) Spark PS :(base model with power steering) : Rs 3.28 on road (I think they are now including a 3 year maintenance package with it)

B) Santro GL : (base model with PS) : Rs. 3.47 on road

C) Hyundai i10 - D-lite : (base model without power steering) : Rs 3.60 on road

D) Not considering : Zen Estilo (family doesn't like the looks at all), Indica (want a reliable and trouble free car), Alto (rather underpowered with 800 cc and with AC, especailly to be driven on the Delhi-Gurgaon highway).

Requirements/ Points of consideration

1) Fuel Effeciency : FE is important, even if the car is a bit more expensive. Please inform about the FE of the cars you are aware of (City usage).

2) Budget Approx. 3-3.5 on road. Prefer not to extend beyond that, unless some amazing running costs justify it.
(Accessories extra, Power windows etc. isn't important)

3) Usage Pattern :
* Approx 1,400 to 1,800 kms/month. This may possibly reduce to about 1000 kms after about 6 months
* Expect to use this car only in the city.
* Rear Seats almost never to be used.
* Typically not be used over 80 kmph
* 9- 10 months a year with 100% AC (to be used in Delhi)
* Expect to have the car for about 5 years or more. May be used a lot lesser after about 3-4 years.

4) Other points :
* Reliability is important.
* Roomy feel to the cabin helps (found the Spark lacking on this)
* Ease of driving helps. (Have heard that the Santro is easier to drive than the i10. Any comments on that ?)

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

At that price range i would stick to the Spark. Its got the best ride comfort in the list and is easy in the city. THe F.E also seems to be good enough. I think this also has one of the best front seats in terms of comfort and drive position. The 3 year maintainence promise is an added advantage. I'd say this should right away be your choice.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar dilemma

Would suggest that you avoid Santro as i10 is its next gen.
Old 11th March 2008, 11:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Please absolutely rule out the non-PS version of ANY car, including i10. I think a Santro with PS will be much more comfortable than an i10 without PS.

I think Santro is the best best bet out there. And a CNG kit with 50k extra would bring down your running costs a lot.

Any particular reason why you chose to neglect Wagon R ? It offers a package very similar to the Santro but I find the driving position and room to be a little better.
Old 11th March 2008, 11:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would still choose the Santro over the i10, even if the latter is a later gen model. Quite frankly, the only thing that I liked about the i10 over the Santro were the interiors. I've owned two Santros, and have no complaints.
And I agree with Eddy - PS is very important. You'll be surprised how heavy even a small car can feel without a PS!!
No idea about the Spark since I've not driven it. Rear seats are good, but that's not a priority for you.
Old 11th March 2008, 11:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mods there is a similar discussion going on here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-4-5lakh.html.

please mearge both the threads for ease.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:18   #7

Hi, I would suggest the Wagon R Duo. Though it will cost a little more, the running cost will be reduced to almost half of others.
And since Mileage is important to you, I would assume that the re-sale value after 3,4 or 5 years is also important to you. If it is true, I would suggest Duo or i10. Santro/Spark might not have good re-sale value.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:27   #8
Team-BHP Support
Exclamation Thread Closed

Hi monishdesign

There are several threads running which will help you in taking a decision.

Please search the forum.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread