Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2010, 00:03   #76
BHPian

@AvonA7: My mistake. Rate should be 11.5 not 9.5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well vivekgk , couldn't we also calculate it like this??..

Net Price difference between petrol and diesel models = 5.25 - 4.68 = .57 lac.

Net Savings on fuel per annum = 16582 (as per your calculation)

So to cover the .57 lac you spent at the first year you will have to use your car atleast for 3.5 years(approx)
Also if you had invested that extra .57lac wisely and assuming a return of 10% per annum, after three years you save .057*3 = .17 and thats another year of fuel savings.

So any real savings would occur only after 4.5 years of buying the car. By that time, the diesel will start to weigh high on maintenance, so less savings.
Well, I don't actually have that 57K with me to invest it anyplace else, as I'm taking the car on finance. So that's actually a moot point to me. The EMI comparison that I did is what my expenses are. It's not really about 'savings', but net expenditure. Going by that, I'd have saved a lot more if I'd decided to invest 5 lacs wisely and fuelled my 800 with the interest. But I didn't have anything more than the downpayment in hand.

Maintenance costs do not automatically increase after 4-5 years. It depends on mileage too. At the end of 5 years, I will have driven 60 x 1000km = 60K kms only. That's nothing for an Indigo TDi. The car will still be fresh. By then, I will no longer be paying any EMIs either. It's not the age per se, but the mileage that matters. Our 800 is 12 years old but it only has 55K on the clock due to low usage. Still feels great to drive (for a carb 800).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
But then if you use your car more frequently, say double or triple your usage, you can start saving from the 2nd year itself. I guess this is why every one suggests that "Diesel is only for high-mileage users" .
Again, if I drove the car that much, my maintenance costs as well as my fuel costs would be higher. Car resale would also go down. In any case, nowadays a diesel car holds its value better than a petrol. Trust me, I looked for a used diesel car for months before giving up and going for a new one. Difference in maintenance costs isn't that much. Service interval is 10K for diesels, 5K for petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
IMO, a petrol is more fun to drive and better on NVH. Please note that I have also omitted this factor. Actually you will be living with a less fun to drive car for 4.5 years, till the savings appear on a balance sheet.
NVH is subjective, depending on what each person is willing to tolerate. It's not like the diesel rumble is affecting health or anything. ICE drowns out the engine, and the AC (which you can keep on without worrying about FE) takes care of comfort. Todays diesels are very refined, almost as good as older petrols. None of them vibrate much at anything more than idling speeds.

As for fun, a lot of people driving newer diesels would disagree that they aren't fun to drive. Personally, I find the turbo kick very much to my liking, and enjoy working to get performance from it by keeping it on the boil. As someone on this forum wisely said, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I could have gotten the Figo TDCi or the Vista Quadrajet for almost the same amount, and they are very fun cars to drive, both in handling and performance. If fun was purely about bhp and revs, then not many people would have fun, would they? The icing on the cake is that the car still returns good mileage after all the fun. I get 17kpl with 100% AC and a mix of highway and city driving. I'm still running her in, so I keep her below 3500rpm. Still fun!

BTW, have you driven the 1.2L petrol Indigo? The diesel makes 5 PS and 30Nm more. I have driven both I can confidently say that the diesel is way more fun.

And Yes!! Diesel is definitely worth it. You feel the difference every time you fill up at the station, have a look over at the petrol prices at the other pump, and snicker to yourself.

Last edited by vivekgk : 28th June 2010 at 00:15.
Old 28th June 2010, 00:39   #77
BHPian

Another factor is the latest govt. decision to let Oil companies decide petrol pricing but not diesel. Somehow I think that the gap between petrol and diesel is only going to grow. People can't exactly hold strikes when an oil company increases petrol price. They will grease the right palms to ensure that there are only token protests.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:19   #78
BHPian

Today read the following that Diesel prices won`t be controlled by Govt.
Please refer below link :
Diesel will also be freed of govt control: PM - India Business - Business - The Times of India

This indicates and price gap between diesel and petrol would reduce going forward.

Is the high price of Diesel vehicles (at least in hatchback segment, difference of around Rs. 80K - 1.25L for same variant petrol and diesel) is justified?

Going through this forum, I feel most of us buy Diesel cars because of less fuel price/ high usage and very few because of Driving characteristics. Considering this to be the general trend outside Team-BHP also, what do you (all) think, are the manufacturers going to reconsider Diesel vehicles pricing?
Old 1st July 2010, 13:44   #79
BHPian

Saw that in the newspaper. That is depressing news. Still the Govt. can't reduce diesel engine mileage. I don't think that the disparity will vanish. Petrol sells more because of two wheelers, and that is where the real profits are. A price differential in diesel doesn't have nearly the same effect as that in petrol. The Agri and Transport sectors use diesel, and thus costs are likely to remain lower. Diesel prices have a wider and indirect effect on overall cost of living.

Interestingly, there was an ad by the government showing prices for kerosene and LPG and comparing them to other countries prices, but there was absolutely no mention of petrol/diesel prices in other countries. Probably doesn't want people to know that Petrol sells for less than Rs. 30 a litre in other countries. Most of the money we pay is going towards the government as tax. If they want to reduce loss, all they have really have to do is lower tax!

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on the new petrol vs diesel thread (Would you still buy a Diesel car if Diesel was priced closer to Petrol?).

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2010 at 11:21. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread