Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 30th January 2005, 00:03   #1
BHPian

Default Petra - Gonna be my first CAR - THANKS BHP

Hey Guys,

After going through Team-BHP.com, I am totally convinced that I should be buying Fiat Petra 1.6 even though I would be overstretching my budget.

Apart from the car looks, I am really particular about car tyres (broad & huge) & music system.

Tell me pls what tyres I should change at the time of delivery which would really be broad and sturdy.

Also I would appreciate what kind of music system should I get it installed. Whether to buy it from dealer itself (I am sure it won't have good ones) or to get it from some other place. My idea is to get the best of amp and some good (front & rear) speakers so that can use my IPOD to listen to music (...80s) or maybe FM radio.

I am from Mumbai so if someone can tell me the place to buy this muisic set.

Also I would appreciate if someone can fill me up on this discount that delaer is giving me on 2004 petro. Total its coming at around 60K.

Is there any harm in getting this 2004 model.

PLs note that I am a bike rider and have absolutely no clue about cars and accessories, even though I can figure out a lot after reading Team-BHP for the last 3 days.

Also if someone has bought a car in recent times on loan then what is the best deal going around and from which bank. Anurrop is saying 9.5%

Manupriyam

Last edited by manupriyam : 30th January 2005 at 00:05. Reason: Adding stuff
manupriyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 07:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Manupriyam,

Well.....first thing you should do is..... test drive the car if you aldready havent

Tires, well honestly i dont think people can give you a accurate measurement of what the widest tire the petra can take without rubbing is, and thats simply because not a lot of people go all out in modifying the petra.
Are you going to be buying alloys as well? that might help with the clearance of your tires. Id say 195 is a good balance between "broad and huge" and doable.

Suggestion for tires... are you looking for all out sport or comfort with good grip?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 13:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

195 is a perfect size for the petra
205 at maxbut unless you get 15 inchers it doesnt really look good
you can get an mp3 player like pioneer 5650 and to listen to the ipod get your self an i trip
its really cool and very good
it is not worth getting anything but a security systm from the dealer
60k is a very good isount on the car
which dealer
go to opera house there is this lane where you can get everything for your car but you may have to try someother place in opera house for alloys ..
for alloys go into a lane thats comes on the left after pride shop and ask anyone
if you take a right in the lane go over the bridge you come to the main road and then take a right at the first intersection pass on lane and take a left in the othjer and you get yourself into another place which is loaded with car stuff with perfumes to twin turbos

enjoy your ne car
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 22:31   #4
BHPian

Default Thanks - But which alloys

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. The delaer is Anuroop which is giving me the discount.

But he keeps on telling me that he won't be bale to change the tyres or wheels. I guess I have to go to some shop and get them exchanged.

I guess 195 ( tubeless or with tube?) would be good enough. Now what make? And which alloy wheel to buy.

Manu

manupriyam@gmail.com
manupriyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2005, 23:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Manupriyam,

For the choice of alloys check out this thread. (Indian vs Imported Rims.....which ones?)

It makes more sense (money wise as well) to get wheels and tires from an outside tyre shop as soon as you get delivery of your car. They should pay you anywhere between Rs1600-2400 per "used" tyre.

For the best help with choosing the right tires and size, speak to international tyres.
They have the most knowledge when it comes to tyres, however, the only negative point is that they only stock indian brand alloys....so the choice of styles is very limited.

I have Private Messaged (top right of your screen) you their contact details.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 09:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
195 is a perfect size for the petra
205 at maxbut unless you get 15 inchers it doesnt really look good
How does this type upgrading affect the ride comfort. I know it increases road resistance and handling, etc. But I always wondered about the affect on ride comfort. I guess it changes from car to car. What is the maximum width one can use without sacrificing ride comfort more than say 10% on a Petra?

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2005 at 09:13.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 09:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey manupriyam,
dont u read the newspapers.
if u have still not got the car,i suggest u drop your plans.going by the present state of Fiat ,i dont think its the right time to invest in a new Fiat.and since you are buying it on a loan and also since its your first car,i suggest that u just stay away from Fiat and go for some other car like,the esteem lxi,the Wagon-r vxi,the ikon flair or the getz.

the petra may be a superb car,it may be the best car in the whole solar system but right now just run away from a Fiat except that u get it free.

satya
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
what was there in the newspaper???
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
what was there in the newspaper???

nothing serious off late.what i meant to say is that we have been reading frequently about Fiat's condition.
Old 31st January 2005, 11:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1702470200.htm

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/935079.cms

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2005 at 11:27.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam
Hi Guys,

I guess 195 ( tubeless or with tube?) would be good enough. Now what make? And which alloy wheel to buy.

manupriyam@gmail.com
Hey Manupriyan,

195/60 is a good bet. 205 maybe an overkill. 195 width does not foul with the wheel well either. I have put federals on my petra. very happy with it. i have done 11000km on those and very happy with the grip levels. you can accelerate right through corners, even in the wet :-) but my suspicion is that the ride quality has deteriorated a wee bit over the stock.
probably if you put in alloys with the wider tyres, the unsprung mass would remain the same (heavy rim + stock tyre = lighter alloy rim + heavier tyre) that should help retain the performance of the suspension setup.

from what i have asked around about alloys, the fiats come with a very peculiar 98mm PCD rims. Most of the alloys you find in the market (league, HR etc.) are 100mm PCD. The dealer would suggest filing off about 1mm from each hole and thereby make it 98pcd. DO NOT go with that option. You do get 98mm PCD wheels from Aura, Neo, OZ Racing and a few others. Go for those, even if they are more expensive or do not look as good. in the long run filing off from an alloy is not a good option in the interests of safety....

As regards, the health of fiat, from whatever I have been reading, considering the number of fiats that have been sold in India, we should be able to service them. But then it may not be as hassle free as getting a Maruti or a Ford or a Honda serviced.... your choice between VFM motoring fun with a few hassles vs. hassle free motoring
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 22:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey manupriyam,
if u have still not got the car,i suggest u drop your plans.going by the present state of Fiat ,i dont think its the right time to invest in a new Fiat.and since you are buying it on a loan and also since its your first car,i suggest that u just stay away from Fiat and go for some other car like,the esteem lxi,the Wagon-r vxi,the ikon flair or the getz.

the petra may be a superb car,it may be the best car in the whole solar system but right now just run away from a Fiat except that u get it free.

satya
hey which car do u have by the way.i think u are a fiat hater from the looks of it.everywhere i see u dont miss an oportunity to bash them up.if u forgot there are still matiz running in mumbai.Fiat has invested a lot in India,they wont leave like that,maybe they will reduce the scale of the operations and share manufacturing base with other compaines(leyland).IMO
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2005, 22:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
hey which car do u have by the way.i think u are a fiat hater from the looks of it.

hey merve_e,

i ahve a mpfi zen.i am not a fiat car hater.i am a fiat india company hater.
the palio GTX is still my favourite car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
everywhere i see u dont miss an oportunity to bash them up.
you can all my posts .never have i said that the palio or petra sukks.i am against buying a fiat because of the brand name.

i have always been warning everyone against buying Fiat cars because it could happen anytime.now its out.everyone is talking about when FIat will close down.then wat happens to all those who bought it.

regarding matiz,it may still be there ,but then the owners have no other option .
hope this clears your doubt about me being a fiat hater
Old 7th February 2005, 02:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

ok thanks for clearing the doubt.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote