chevy srv 10 3.41%
other small hatch - 800, alto, santro, uva, reva, meva :-) 7 2.39%
yet to be launched or import a sport hatch 12 4.10%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th April 2008, 15:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
MAG / KPZ - agree with your points. But here, I think, the question is different. 'Souped up most' means he is open to any mods and he want the most. Then petrol engine has the upper hand, right? I voted thinking this.
Redfire
The end desired result is more power and more fun isn't it?
When a stock torquey diesel can get an increase of 15-20 bhp with just a plug in box why play around with FFE and filters for a petrol which will only give u a maximum increase of 5-8 bhp and also doesn't turn out to be reliable in all cases.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

It's got to be the Petrol Swift for me.

A stock VDI is still much slower (top speed) compared to a stock Petrol Swift as per manufacturer claims.

For all the Diesel heads out here - After Pete's box what next?

Getz CRDI (and the Verna CRDI) have great engines agreed. And both cars are good as long as the roads are straight. If the Getz handled then it could've been a killer combination with Petes.

But still I'd take a Petrol. There's a different much more exciting kind of 'fun' to keep a high revving Petrol motor in the band and going around doing one's job.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th April 2008 at 15:15.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:14   #48
BHPian

The old zen is my choice. Swift petrol is also worthy contender. Somehow i feel the jap engines adapt better to performance mods, be it suzuki, toyota or mitsu.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i know the revs on the diesels are a something to think about, but then again its an experiment too inviting - the getz crdi sells with all 4 discs and independent suspension in aussie so there is hope to stiffen and stabilize the car
Guess you were replying to my post... Yeah the sell with 4 discs abroad. Iv got a link of a guy who carried out a conversion somewhere in Euro. Will link you when I get home.

I really miss the revs man, that doesnt mean Im no enjoying the car. But then speed was never my objective which explains the heavy shoes snowflake has been shod with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
old zen; seen lot of them modified massively and they do seem to be really capable
One of the sweetest daily drive E-Zens ever would Amitoj's oldie - Goldie. Pure sleeper but very capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It's got to be the Petrol Swift for me.

But still I'd take a Petrol. There's a different much more exciting kind of 'fun' to keep a high revving Petrol motor in the band and going around doing one's job.
Very true. I miss this at times. Which is why I voted Swift-P earlier today
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:35   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

For all the Diesel heads out here - After Pete's box what next?

Sankar,

Thats subjective. A petrol would need some number of mods before it achieved the quoted power increase of a diesel digital tuning box. So, while a petrol engine maybe more mod friendly and rev-happy than a diesel, I feel the nett result would put the driving result of both - a diesel with a digital box and a petrol with lots of mods, to be on roughly comparable levels.

The one ace a petrol has is its high revving than a diesel. But - diesels are getting there.

Last edited by theMAG : 4th April 2008 at 15:37.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:40   #51
BHPian

Voted for Getz crdi- pete it and see if you can see that swift in the rear view mirror.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:45   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Sankar,

Thats subjective. A petrol would need some number of mods before it achieved the quoted power increase of a diesel digital tuning box. So, while a petrol engine maybe more mod friendly and rev-happy than a diesel, I feel the nett result would put the driving result of both - a diesel with a digital box and a petrol with lots of mods, to be on roughly comparable levels.

The one ace a petrol has is its high revving than a diesel. But - diesels are getting there.
A Petrol Swift with lots of mods will be way beyond comparison with a Diesel Swift. DIesel's flat torque curve makes it easier for everyone to go faster. And this makes people believe it's much faster.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:49   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna;
Getz crdi- pete it and see if you can see that swift in the rear view mirror.
Even without pete-ing it, I guess the Swift (P or D) will be far away in the RVM.

@jassi, you want looks and you want performance. IMO Getz-D gives you both. Add a Pete's box and you get more horses at your command. No tension of mods going wrong, engine damage or whatever and the easiest way out. Will surprise many bigger cars too, not to mention the ones on your poll list.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Petrol Swift with lots of mods will be way beyond comparison with a Diesel Swift. DIesel's flat torque curve makes it easier for everyone to go faster. And this makes people believe it's much faster.
Sankar.
I doubt if a Swift petrol with lots of mods (minus turbo) can go way beyond the DDis with petes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Will surprise many bigger cars too, not to mention the ones on your poll list.
The other cars in the poll dont even stand a chance.
Recently while Test driving the Getz D, my cousin couldnt catch me up with a Corolla..

Last edited by kpzen : 4th April 2008 at 15:54.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:59   #55
BHPian

Red face

guys apart from the high revving fun of a swift petrol, can it be reliably tc'd to go beyond the peted getz crdi and on the flip side can the peted getz crdi be made to handle reliably

Also for one I haven't yet got to td a getz d, which means i don't know how lack of high revs would make me feel!! is it so bad that even a petes box wouldn't make me feel good about it
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 16:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sankar.
I doubt if a Swift petrol with lots of mods (minus turbo) can go way beyond the DDis with petes..
I agree. These boxes are also claimed to have different stages of tuning. Imagine it with the highest stage!

Last edited by theMAG : 4th April 2008 at 16:15.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 16:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

With the petes box tuned swift/getz, u'll have a reliable car, whereas a swift with TC, no matter how well its done, will not have the same levels of reliability, and neither will it be much faster than the peted rides even after spending more than thrice the amount. Also u'll lose the warranty too! I really don't think its worth it.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 18:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

IMO the swift petrol has enough and more scope of getting souped up,reason why i am going in for one.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 18:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Haven't driven a Getz or Swift D yet, so can't vote for either. Wouldn't really want to go in for any of the other options. The Palio 1.6 is the best of the lot, but cannot be modded much thanks to the lack of engine space.
So I choose the "yet to be launched" option, with the car in mind being the Fiat Grande Punto (slated to be launched later this year, right?). The only thing is, they're going to use the 1.3 Multijet engine, and the 1.9 isn't even going to be an option.
Now the 1.9 would have been quite something... 280 NM torque @2000 rpm, 130 BHP@ 4000 rpm, top speed of 200 kph, 0-100 in 9.5 secs, and (this is the best part) an FE of 17kpl (12 kpl city, 21 kph highway)... STOCK.

From what I read, the Getz CRDI seems to be a viable option, but upgrading the rubber and suspension is a must. Would also help if Hyundai started offering ABS on it, but that doesn't look too likely.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 19:00   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sankar.
I doubt if a Swift petrol with lots of mods (minus turbo) can go way beyond the DDis with petes.
Hmm.... i don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I agree. These boxes are also claimed to have different stages of tuning. Imagine it with the highest stage!
Even the tuning is done in stages on a Petrol car. Each stage costs more.

The main thing that makes any car go faster be it a Petrol or Diesel it's the Vitamin-M

And the winner for tuning capabilities, provided the Vitamin-M is superfluous, will be a Petrol car.