Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 9th May 2008, 11:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
As I learnt it, the ORVMs should have your car in 1/3rd of the mirror space, which comes to like 33%.
The guidelines for using RVM(As per New Jersey driving manual or Toyota user manual [donot remember the source exactly, but one of them] as I remember)

The inner end of side RVMs should start from rear door of your car.
Center RVM should cover most of your rear window.

That will minimize blind spots.
There will be blind spot for sure, and do look over your shoulder before shifting lane.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Though I learned driving at age of 18Yrs. During last 16 years,
so you are 34 years
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 13:33   #48
BHPian

Any car is fine, and it's good that you're getting a new car so you hopefully won't have any maintenance issues intially. Swift is a small car and small cars are ideal for the first-time driver especially in crowded cities like mumbai. You don't have to worry about how powerful the engine is, everything depends on the way you drive.

Always follow traffic rules, wear that SEATBELT. Don't get bothered or frustrated by people, vehicles, things, animals cutting into your lane - don't panic when you hear a 200 dB honk from the backside. If possible have a co-passenger with you for the first month and avoid crowded areas.

Always keep in mind that vehicles around you will make mistakes intentionally or unintentionally so you have to keep all your senses intact. BE very wary of trucks, buses, public and private taxis - always give them the right of way as the own the roads in mumbai. Don't ever hand over your car keys to the valet.

In short just pay attention to anything that moves, keep your distance and you'll be fine
carzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 16:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

I learnt driving many years ago...then I didn't drive at all for 12 years before starting off on an Alto and moving on to a Palio!

Just some small pointers apart from the regular stuff already mentioned:

1. Most important: Relax and be comfortable. Get a good seating position, know all the controls well. Don't Panic.

2. If you're not sure of whether there is enough space ahead of you (or behind) for the car, then don't move. I use the reference for the car ahead of me. If a Swift ahead of you can go, yours can as well. Keep minimum clearance on the driver's side in tight situations and you will always have enough space on the left.

3. If there is a doubt, slow down or stop. Nobody can force you to go ahead faster than what speed you are sure of. Even if they honk like mad.

4. Size is a question of getting used to. Simple. It took me equal amount of time to get used to the size of the Amby 12 years ago, the Alto, the Palio and the Ikon. So don't worry about the size.

5. Have an idea as to how much your car protrudes sideways from the window glass, especially on the left. For a Swift, its almost 4 inches or more. For the Palio its lesser. That's important (even if your ORVMs are open).

6. IMO, Parking Sensors are not such a great idea for beginners! Use the three ORVMs judiciously, instead. You will learn the correct way.

Happy Driving. And buy the Swift, its a good car to drive!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 18:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
3. If there is a doubt, slow down or stop. Nobody can force you to go ahead faster than what speed you are sure of. Even if they honk like mad.
Be cool, drive with your windows rolled up - no one can distract you with their mad honks...
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 00:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
@Rajat...Mate is it possible to get parking sensors fitted ??
Definitely Bro....

U get pretty cheap parking sensors in market and give u a small display where it shows you how much distance u are away frm the nearest object... sensors are attached at the front and rear bumpers near its corners....

There are sensrs with camera visuals too, but IMHO the simple beeping and bar-displaying sensors are enough too...
thx
Rajat

Note from Mod : Please take the time to use proper punctuation and not..type..like...this. Also please avoid the use of SMS language (any1 = anyone, dat = that, etc).

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2008 at 00:56. Reason: Please see note in post.
rajatkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 09:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
so you are 34 years
OT: You are brilliant! Eligible candidate for "Panchavi Pass"
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 15:41   #53
BHPian

Default Questions on learning to drive Verna CRDi SX

Hi Folks,

This is my first post in this forum. I have bought a Verna CRDi SX last week. However i am a newbie and i have driven a car only 3 times in my life.

I do not know driving at all but i am trying to learn in my new car. I would be glad if you could let me know what are the precautions i need to take so that i may not damage the engine.

I have already scratched my car on the right side with a big scratch.

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th October 2008 at 15:52. Reason: Search please
sammycoolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 15:54   #54
Team-BHP Support

@sammycoolster: Learn the basics at a driving school, preferably in a saloon car of similar size. Once you are comfortable start using your car, ideally with a person who can guide you before venturing out alone
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 16:07   #55
BHPian

Default it takes about a day to figure out driving

do go to a driving school, get a license and once you have a license you can drive any car in the world new old long short. Driving is one the most easiest and pleasurable acts in the entire world, provided you follow traffic regulations and inspire other to follow.

do not get into the mold of buying a second hand car to wet your feet, you would have wasted precious money and will be craving for a new car in the end. Ownership of a bad second hand car can actually put you off driving in some cases

Happy driving!!
sabnavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 17:49   #56
BHPian

I had the same dilema when booking my first car and that too a Palio 1.6 Sports!

I never had a single practice to car driving however i ride a Bike so atleast had the road judgement!

So booked the car and in the waiting period joined the Training school. Training got over in 20 days and after a week straightway got my hands on my Palio and tell you after a month people are amazed to see i drive confidently! So the key to achieve anything in this world is Confidence

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 09:59   #57
BHPian

Folks,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. However i am able to drive the car in traffic and i know the basics now.

However i just would like to know if there is anything that i have to do as a new driver to , not damage the engine cos i know it happens a lot with new drivers.

How durable is verna Crdi SX in this regard. Thanks.
sammycoolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:34   #58
BHPian

As long as you change gears correctly, around the 1.5 or rpm mark u'll be doing ok. Even though you've already learnt, according to me driving schools just make it tougher because most of them have an independent clutch and brake with totally ruins your clutch release etc. Anyway getting back to your question, I dont think you need to worry much about damaging the engine, change gears correctly, dont over rev the engine and try not to do wheel spins(it used to happen to me sometimes). Happy driving, don't worry about people honking, remember in most places the speed limit is 50 so you are probably doing fine. Enjoy yourself.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 17:04   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

1.5K RPM mark for changing gears? in a B7R?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 17:31   #60
BHPian

sammycoolster if ur taking driving lessons from a driving school ask them to train u in a diesel car,so that u get a hang of the clutch (because u drive a diesel car)
reddy6980 is offline   Reply With Quote