Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 16th February 2005, 21:56   #16
BHPian

HAS to be a wagon r got both in the family n used both telling you overall wagon r is definitely a better bet if not wait for a swift that'll tear all the competition apart
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 22:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
A WagonR would be a good value for money. I own one, and i manage to leave everybody behing (except skodas and ikons) on signals, and the car is very peppy...
You mean better than Palio/Petra too... That I find hard to believe.

Anyway, I think the original poster didn't exactly mention his requirement while soliciting advice. It would be better if he mentions what he prefers in the car, like ride comfort, sporty handling, performance, FE, VFM, peace of mind,etc.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2005, 22:49   #18
BHPian

hi cd,

definitely the palio or the petra - esp since now with the 2billion dollar payoff from gm, fiat should be able to pull back on track -

the fiats are fantastic cars - if you have the budget go for the petra 1.6 - it's beats all in it's price range

dceite is right about the getz ac - it sucks - the people in the back do not get chilled out at all - will be an even bigger problem in the summer

just to put my money where my mouth is - i have recently purchased the palio d elx for 5.4 lacs. it is supposed to be delivered in a day or 2

after driving all cars, there was no doubt in my mind - which was the winner
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 00:01   #19
BHPian

thnx ppl but NO fiat.... ne other cars ford ikon is a good option too but which 1 will i get in that ... the flair?? according to my budget
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 01:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Cheatingdeath, i would like to warn you about buying Getz.
I have read several reviews on Mouthshut.com and other websites by people who have bought this car.
And the reviews aren't any good. One of the Major problems with Getz is its AC. Come summer, and you will know what i mean to say. There is going to be a huge uproar about its AC which takes ages to cool and is way too bad even compared to Santro's AC.
2nd point is about its Boring engine. Though the gearshift is great, the engine is the same old boring Accent one, and with that much weight, the car is too sluggish.

A WagonR would be a good value for money. I own one, and i manage to leave everybody behing (except skodas and ikons) on signals, and the car is very peppy and practical for a tall guy like me. Dont be concerned about its bad exterior looks (dabba thing). Get inside it and just turn your head upwards, you will learn the meaning of "space". Santro is too low in height compared to WagonR and its a Korean engine so its sucks big time anyway.

WagonR with ABS+AIRBAGS is a good combination of FE+Performance+Saftey+VFM..
go for it...
or else look for a Ford Ikon or Tata Indigo.

cheers
The Santro is a Korean engine but, is a great performing engine, the seating of the Santro is tailor made, good frontal visibility. Though the A pillar does intrude during corners. Overall a great car, though it ain't drop dead gorgeous.
I agree with the reviews on the Getz, its no great car. This is a all show, no go car. Its sluggish to say the least. Palio1.6 or the Petra are great cars on the other hand, if it were'nt for the Fiat reputation.
The Ikon has one crap of an engine, low tech engine, surprising its still selling, must be the Indians fantasy with owning a BIG CAR.

The wagonR does have a very peppy engine but, all that TALL BOY thing ain't good for high speed runs and turns. A good engine has been wasted.
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Would you be able to get a new Getz for this price? I don't think so.

Dunno abt the prices in Mumbai, however in Delhi the on road price for GL and GLS comes to 4.77 and 5.03 lacs, excluding any discounts.

Tarun
Tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 11:24   #22
BHPian

[quote=dceite]Cheatingdeath, i would like to warn you about buying Getz.
I have read several reviews on Mouthshut.com and other websites by people who have bought this car.
And the reviews aren't any good. One of the Major problems with Getz is its AC. Come summer, and you will know what i mean to say. There is going to be a huge uproar about its AC which takes ages to cool and is way too bad even compared to Santro's AC.

I own one and have not exp. that. Went for a drive to Rajasthan this saturday, which was pretty hot in Delhi. Had ac all the time up and running for about 600 odd kms. No issues at all, though you may argue that its not peak summer. And santro's ac being bad, never heard of it.

2nd point is about its Boring engine. Though the gearshift is great, the engine is the same old boring Accent one, and with that much weight, the car is too sluggish.

I agree that 8-10 bhp more would add that pinch of salt for some fun drive, but no way its boring. Its not meant for performance driving however does its job pretty well. I am preparing the first exp with getz, will post as
soon as its done.
Went with my friend for some car shopping on sunday. We test drove the accent GLE, baleno lxi, Flair, getz (my own) & NHC. At the EOD, we narrowed down to only two options Getz or NHC ( if his dad does a bit of financing). Till date this car does not has any competition in 5 lac range.

Tarun
Tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 11:51   #23
BHPian

hmmm... i really dun know now there aint many options here... well mainly this car will be drivin by my mum and my sis ... as fer me and my dad we have are own rides ... so i want a car which is pretty decent in performance no race modes ... a pretty good FE ... i like the wagon but fer its looks ... the car is great... the getz well its one car with some room in it .. and its not outdated... but if the ac doesnt chill ... its a problem....it being a korean doesnt bother me much as i have a tornado ....which i am very happy with .... can some 1 confirm on the ac thing .. well i see no cars without a prob... i just have to select my probs rather than the car... is there any other car in the market with that price tag
Old 17th February 2005, 12:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WagonR with ABS+AIRBAGS is a good combination of FE+Performance+Saftey+VFM..
go for it...
or else look for a Ford Ikon or Tata Indigo.
Tata Indigo? No way! The gear shift sucks big time. Not good for lady drivers! I am using Indigo and Petra for some time now and I can tell you that by experience.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 12:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath
i want a car which is pretty decent in performance no race modes ... a pretty good FE

... is there any other car in the market with that price tag
If you can wait till May, then I suggest that you go for the Suzuki Swift. It looks so much better than the Getz (as seen from the pics of course)! Space-wise, I think they would be similar. The Swift will have the Esteem engine, which is time-tested and pretty much flawless. Also, Maruti service is pretty much the best in Indai right now. your call!

~Sonic
sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 13:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

since its going to be lady driven i suppose they want a car that is -
light to drive
good a.c.
convienient
SAFE
good to look at
lots of cubbyholes

am i right CD
well the getz and wagonR are the best but even an accent GLE wont e bad if you can strech your budget
ask them to drive getz and santro and see what they like
my sister prefers her viva to our ikon and palio and all our cars as it is easier to drive (lighter)
i dont think they will like ikon or indigo as they are a bit heavy to drive when compared to the accent. maybe an esteem VXi
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 13:55   #27
BHPian

yaa lambo u got tat rite an esteem vxi is a good option ... well i already have a tornado ... so no more accent ... so lets c ... if small is the car they want then may b getz wud b a good option or else the esteem wad say lambo
Old 21st February 2005, 01:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Getz vs Wagon R? There's really no contest here, Getz wins hands down.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 10:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

well i havent driven the GETZ orthe mpfi esteem yet but i am guessing you should go for the getz.
its safer and smaller and maybe easier to drive..
i dont think a city is in your budget so it has to be getz...
the esteems a bit cramped and low and needs a certain atheletic ability to et in and out of
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 14:31   #30

Default Getz and Swift

Someone was advising about Swift which will be fitted with tried and tested esteem's engine.

But consider the 'SAFER' weight of Swift (which is more than 1000 KG like Getz/palio) and when that tried & tested engine of Esteem has to pull 200-300 Kgs more it is not going to be giving the same performance like Esteem.

Think again
skamb is offline   Reply With Quote