Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th May 2008, 10:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another reason why this makes sense is that someone else takes the depreciation hit. If you buy a new Palio 1.6, in 3 years you will stand to lose about 3 lakh rupees. Remember....Resale Value is the silent killer (Click for Ajmat's awesome thread.
A new palio 1.6 is like 4.7ish post discounts in gurgaon today. Are you saying one can get a 3 year old GTX in under 2 lakhs? I sincerely doubt that.

Yes, it will lose resale faster than participants on Sahara one's weight loss show, but still...
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 11:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

ok ok, I am completely stunned.

Carwale.com tells me that a palio 1.6 used ONE month (Apr 08), 1000km, is just worth 3.12 lakhs. Either they are completely messed up, or I need to buy a used palio 1.6 asap

Crazy!
Old 27th May 2008, 15:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ok ok, I am completely stunned.

Carwale.com tells me that a palio 1.6 used ONE month (Apr 08), 1000km, is just worth 3.12 lakhs. Either they are completely messed up, or I need to buy a used palio 1.6 asap

Crazy!
Mast! Count me in dude! Carwale...here i come!!

Not sure how exactly Carwale judge the resale value but along with the Year, kms done, the most important, Manufacturer of the car matters. You can best see the difference when you choose a Fiat car of year 2006 or so with X kms and a Maruti car of year 2000 with the same X kms!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 00:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke with a colleague who had a 2003 1.2 sports, in still quite a decent condition.
Turns out he bought it in mid 06 (3 years, 70k km then) for 2 lakhs all incl. he's only driven some 10k since then but just not serviced it either till he ran over a whole bunch of rocks.

Doesn't seem like really bad resale to me. Tsk bhai, what say?
Old 28th May 2008, 13:19   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A new palio 1.6 is like 4.7ish post discounts in gurgaon today. Are you saying one can get a 3 year old GTX in under 2 lakhs? I sincerely doubt that.
Whichever 1.6's are there on the market go for anywhere between 1.5 - 2.4. In the recent past, I have never seen a Palio 1.6 go higher than that.....even if it is only 3 years old. No one wants to buy the Palio 1.6 new and thus, hardly anyone wants to buy a used Palio 1.6. The demand is too miniscule.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 13:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke with a colleague who had a 2003 1.2 sports, in still quite a decent condition.
Turns out he bought it in mid 06 (3 years, 70k km then) for 2 lakhs all incl. he's only driven some 10k since then but just not serviced it either till he ran over a whole bunch of rocks.

Doesn't seem like really bad resale to me. Tsk bhai, what say?
infact i too bought a 2005, 1.2 sports from a friend.
it had run about 35k, and i effectively gave 2.65 lakhs for it.
i think this was a decent price.some say i paid a little more,but thats ok.
at the end of it, i have a complete peace of mind with this car
gods-envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 15:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiam View Post
Why not TD Palio MJD?

I wanted something very similar. Drivers car, fun to drive, good handling yeda yeda. I've booked MJD. Its a car you might love as well. In my opinion, Fiesta and Fusion would be sluggish compared to MJD. Also, Fusion might look dated very soon.
Does the Palio look very Futuristic ??
Pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 01:55   #38
BHPian

Today I went and took another test drive of the swift, the sx4 and the fiesta.

I just can't get to like the sx4 even after multiple test drives, but on the other hand I just loved the swift. Once you're inside the cars you can't really tell the difference between the two based on the interiors. They look just the same to me(I was comparing zxi models for both). The sx4 definitely has more power but I felt the swift handled much better. I felt confident taking turns and the engine was responsive. On the sx4 I felt that I had to rev the engine to a higher rpm to get some power and it made a lot of noise as well. I'm no expert but that's my opinion after 3 test drives.

After this I went on to drive the fiesta. The moment I sat in the driver's seat I knew this is it! It was like everything fell into place. I got that feeling that this is the car that I want and this was the feeling that I was looking for. My mind was arguing about a lot of things like ford's reputation and high cost of servicing etc.

The swift seemed like a great value for money and it had a good balance of everything including a host of safety features. I was aware that a newer version of the fiesta is almost here but after a lot of bargaining the dealer was giving me close to 50000 discount. Now the gap between the swift zxi and the fiesta had really narrowed down. And also swift's rear seat space and comfort was a bit of a let down.

So in the end I decided to go with my heart and booked a white 1.6 sxi

Even at this point I had a few choices to make like
1. Whether to wait for the new version
2. Whether to go for the zxi or the sxi(I was getting a 10-15K further discount on zxi).

The reasons why I decided to go for the available car were
1. I liked the swift and I could have gone for swift zxi and saved some money but after the discounts the gap between the two had narrowed down quite a bit.
2. If I waited for the new version I would definitely not get any discount and its likely that the prices might even go up so then I will be tempted to buy the swift again because I would be reaching the top end of my budget or even stretching it.
3. One of my initial requirements was to have safety features. If I ignored them I was getting a car within a lac of the price of the swift. Still I decided to go for the abs and the airbag version as you never know when you might need them.

So my search for a new car is finally over. I'm getting my baby delivered on Sunday And I have to thank team bhp here for all the information and help that I've received while taking this decision!

I went to the dealer's stock yard in the afternoon and the car they showed me seemed fine. The odometer reading was 19.

Now, I have one question, the yard was in Faridabad and would be around 25 Kms from the main showroom. I was told the car will be driven to the showroom by a driver. I was also told that these drivers are trained by ford india. Should I trust them to drive the car to the showroom or should I go there and get the car myself?
zuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 02:16   #39
BHPian

Congrats Zuch! Fiesta 1.6 is a nice car. You will enjoy it.
Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 10:58   #40
BHPian

Congrats Zuch

Finally you won your car by your heart and i'm sure you would enjoy more with your decision!

Do post in your feedbacks/reviews and pics ofcourse....

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 11:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great news, Zuch. Welcome to the Fiesta 1.6 sxi club! You are surely going to love the car each and every time you drive it.
I too was in a dilemma last year, and was torn between the NHC Vtec and the Fiesta 1.6 sxi. My mind favoured the former,while my heart was inclined to the latter.
I did my heart a favour
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 12:17   #42
BHPian

It is one amazing piece of machine to drive. I really hate to get out of the car on reaching my destination and want to drive more!!!

You'll just love it.

Dont worry about the driver driving it from the yard to the showroom. They do it for so many cars and should not be a problem. Just inspect the car once more, when it reaches the showroom and before it goes for the registration. Insist to the dealer that this is important for you because once it gets registered, you are no more in a position to demand.

But dont keep worrying about these things.. it should be allright.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 14:06   #43
BHPian

@Torque123, @rudrah, @vnabhi, @praveen_v
Thanks a lot guys. A lot of your comments and experiences in the forum have led me to take this decision with confidence.

@praveen_v
Thanks for the tip. I guess I was getting a little paranoid. I'll inspect the car today as I have to complete some paperwork at the dealership.

I'm excited as hell.
zuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 08:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch View Post
@Torque123, @rudrah, @vnabhi, @praveen_v
Thanks a lot guys. A lot of your comments and experiences in the forum have led me to take this decision with confidence.

@praveen_v
Thanks for the tip. I guess I was getting a little paranoid. I'll inspect the car today as I have to complete some paperwork at the dealership.

I'm excited as hell.
So you've also gone ahead and bought the existing version. I myself can't wait. Will think for one more day (today being Sunday) maybe I'll also buy it tomorrow. Do post an initial review when you get it?
docsinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 17:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey Zuch,

I remember that you were still deciding about the car when we met during the TBHP meet. Fiesta 1.6 SXi, wow! I have always heard that the Ikon and the Fiesta are great driver's cars. When I first drove the Ikon 1.6, I was zapped. If the Fiesta petrol is anything like that, wonderful! Enjoy!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote