Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th April 2010, 14:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@S2:
I really appreciate your patience in testing the cars.
But, for family do you really need a performance oriented cars?
No offense please.

I think for 10laks you have lot of options today.

What exactly are you looking at Performance Driven Cars for a family?
BTW, you missed Suzuki Swift K-Series Engine.
See the whole point in wanting a performance oriented car for the family is because- 1. We have space just to park 1 car in my building and to be honest we donot require another car, 2. My parents drive the car in the day and me at nights generally, 3. Even my father loves driving and wants a car with a good engine and good driving pleasure. Infact he loves the city but for 10L we were not getting good VFM from that car with ugly grey interiors and also my mother does not prefer a sedan.
I really dont want to go for after market fitments to improve the performance later on for the new car like the way i did with my zen and hence looking for a car with decent perfomance.
Yes we did look at the swift but the sheer numbers on the street made us want something a little more exclusive.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 11:09   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since your budget allows it, go for the i20 diesel. It's the most powerful, and quickest, diesel hatchback in the market today. Plus, the kind of quality on offer can put cars a segment above to shame.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 11:25   #33

+1 for the i20 diesel.

Take a test drive before you write the i20 off. The 1.2 is for the masses

Powerful engine, beauty of a gearshift, light clutch and easy to drive in the city. Hyundai also added a 6 speed transmission in the latest version.

The steering is lifeless though. Absolutely zero feel.

Even though I specifically wanted an AT which isn't available, I would have bought the CRDi i20 if it weren't for the steering.

~foodie
foodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 14:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since your budget allows it, go for the i20 diesel. It's the most powerful, and quickest, diesel hatchback in the market today. Plus, the kind of quality on offer can put cars a segment above to shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie View Post
+1 for the i20 diesel.

Take a test drive before you write the i20 off. The 1.2 is for the masses

Powerful engine, beauty of a gearshift, light clutch and easy to drive in the city. Hyundai also added a 6 speed transmission in the latest version.

The steering is lifeless though. Absolutely zero feel.

Even though I specifically wanted an AT which isn't available, I would have bought the CRDi i20 if it weren't for the steering.

~foodie
Yes that car was on my mind but my parents donot want a diesel for some unknown reasons. Also as i said earlier the i20's (1.2p) interior was not to my taste and also the suspension I felt, was on the softer side. I have not driven the diesel so i cannot comment but i guess it would have a similar set up right? Moreover, we all loved the Polo and have left our hearts with that car ever since we left the showroom after the td. So my question is that is this car coming with a 1.6L and when? Also i had heard on an episode on autocar show (bloombergutv) regarding the Fabia with a makeover and a new heart coming our way in Sept. So is there any chances of a bigger engine than the 1.2 market?

Last edited by S2!!! : 30th April 2010 at 14:25.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Was just curious to know at what speeds do you / father intened to drive the car on an average and when deciding to push it.

On average I would expect 60-70, on top end you would be the best judge. But would you be looking at speeds post 130-140.

The reason why I am saying this is, because, a 1.2 car is also more than decently capable of quenching your need to cruise at 100-110, and you should not feel any difficulty. And a few more hatch backs that are in the sub 1.4 cateogory should also suffice.

Many a times, we see people talk of 1.2, 1.4. 1.6 2.0 as though they are looking at circa 200, but ultimately touch just 120 max. Or some people who say they just want 4X4, at any cost, but whose vehicle has only seena rough patch of road that can be the closest to off-roading.

So the point, I am trying to make here is, if you like the 1.2 Polo, please go in for it and it will definitely keep both you and your dad happy with its response. No point spending more on a 1.6 if you are never truly going to realize its potential
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 15:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Was just curious to know at what speeds do you / father intened to drive the car on an average and when deciding to push it.

On average I would expect 60-70, on top end you would be the best judge. But would you be looking at speeds post 130-140.

The reason why I am saying this is, because, a 1.2 car is also more than decently capable of quenching your need to cruise at 100-110, and you should not feel any difficulty. And a few more hatch backs that are in the sub 1.4 cateogory should also suffice.

Many a times, we see people talk of 1.2, 1.4. 1.6 2.0 as though they are looking at circa 200, but ultimately touch just 120 max. Or some people who say they just want 4X4, at any cost, but whose vehicle has only seena rough patch of road that can be the closest to off-roading.

So the point, I am trying to make here is, if you like the 1.2 Polo, please go in for it and it will definitely keep both you and your dad happy with its response. No point spending more on a 1.6 if you are never truly going to realize its potential
I do understand what your point is but it is just the feelling of having that power under your right foot which is making me eager to go in for a car with a bigger engine. I have a stage 1 Zen right now and not like we rip the car all the time. Infact the car does not even cross 80 on a daily basis. But it is just those times when you are on the signal 1st with an empty road ahead of you when you do need those 0-100s or those times when driving on the expressway where you intend to take the speedo till a point that it cannot go further. Its more of a feel good factor than a necessity and since we are replacing my rev-happy zen then why not with something much bigger and much better. Afterall its going to be with us for another 6-7 years or even more!
Also if we book the polo right now, we would anyways have to wait till Sept for delivery (as informed to us by the sales person, Downtown VW). So i rather wait and check out if there are more powerful options coming our way right?

Last edited by S2!!! : 30th April 2010 at 15:24.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

A small update. Since I have waited for quite a while now, Yesterday we decided to just go ahead and book the VW Polo Trendline and have been promised delivery in the month of Oct. Anyways I have told the sales guys to update me as soon as they get to know anything regarding the 1.6L variant. He said you may transfer your booking from the Trendline to the 1.6 Highline at your will. So in any case Polo all the way!
Old 5th May 2010, 12:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
So is there any chances of a bigger engine than the 1.2 market?
i20 does come with an AT which comes with 100 bhp 1.4 L petrol.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

One more update: felt that the Polo was not really worth waiting for 5 months so went ahead and took delivery of my brand new RITZ on saturday. Bye Bye Polo...Hello Ritzy