Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th June 2008, 17:06   #16
BHPian

My 2 cents would be to keep the Palio and wait for the Nano to come around for your wife, I just sold my no problem carb zen for a very very small amount, just din't have parking for 2 cars, it's not worth selling a no problem car for no reason.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 17:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Use Palio for yourself for another couple of years as GTO has mentioned. If your wife is hell bent on car, then buy her a used M800 or Alto. It would suffice the requirement. OR ask her to drive her 2 wheeler. (I suppose)
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 17:46   #18
BHPian

deepak, keep the car(palio is a great car none the less and even you vouch for it), buy a nice Maruti Zen/Alto for your wife.
pick up a Linea diesel (if available) once its launched.

Edit :- just as everyone has mentioned,dont sell a good working, problem free car for a price of a peanut.

Last edited by gods-envy : 5th June 2008 at 17:47.
gods-envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 17:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Keep the Palio - It does not have great resale so instead of buying a 2nd hand car for your wife - give the Palio to her. This way no parting ways

As for you - well - if you can afford an entirely new sedan - then the perfect one with loads of torque and power is the Verna Diesel. If you want to wait, then I can suggest wait for the Linea, being a Fiat Owner, you'd probabaly love it. It does look better than the Verna and should be a little cheaper too !!! So it's the Verna or waiting for the Linea.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default It's there right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
. The legendary turning radius of this vehicle is quite a bother for me too, not to speak of her.

Palio's repairs, as and when they start manifesting, will cost me a bomb. Of course, I have done only about 28k kms in 4.5 years, which is nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

How do you know his Palio has low mileage?
How do you he has handling niggles?

Note from mod. EVery member is free to give any recommendation. Personal attacks and accusations on members is strictly prohibited
I know because read his post. If you read his post you would not have to ask questions like this.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 22:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dan, I had read Deepak's post, but your usage of words like 'low mileage' and 'handling niggles' were bit misleading!

Anyway, I am sorry for getting it wrong!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 22:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

Keep the palio for wifee, buy the new car for yourself. Its a no brainer since adjusting to a bigger palio is far better and easier, than buying a 80 grand worth risks.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 05:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Keep the palio for wifee, buy the new car for yourself. Its a no brainer since adjusting to a bigger palio is far better and easier, than buying a 80 grand worth risks.
Yeah, this gets my vote.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 12:40   #24
BHPian

Buy a nice *new* Alto/Santro for your wife, keep the Palio for yourself And keep it a surprize...

*Waits for pats from all the ladies around...*
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 13:20   #25
BHPian

As many of'em suggested, it's better you have your Palio with you (you don't have cry now selling it off ), and better wait for the launch of TATA Nano or Tara Tiny, may be first first your wife can learn how to drive a car without gears and then go for something with gears when she feels confortable, as of now, keep all what you have and watch for the lanuch of the gearless vehicles, just a suggestion
kingshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. All your inputs have been very helpful to me to make this decision. To some of you, this looked a very trivial decision, but I had to think about it for quite some time. I discussed with my wife and we have now decided to keep our Palio for some more time. I will get my bike done and will use that whenever necessary and in the meanwhile, I will try and get my wife to be comfortable driving my car. This will mean win-win for both of us and we will go for a new diesel car in a few more months' time, probably right in time for Diwali.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 18:35   #27
BHPian

Deepak,

Keeping the Palio for your wife is fine! BUT you switching to a BIKE? I am not too sure about this decision for the below mentioned reasons:

01. Safety: Absolutely unsafe. Period. After being thoroughly protected by the little tank, it'll be very difficult to feel secure on a bike. Considering the Bangalore traffic, it would be very difficult to commute to office this way.

02. Rain: Absolute HELL. There is no way you could ride on Bangalore roads when it is raining. Drivers tend be more impatient during showers. Imagine the early morning office ride!

03. Pollution: Dust/CO/CO2 and what not. You don't want dust in your eyes (even with the helmets on) and poison in your nose. NO A/C.

04. Cops: Practically every damn Bangalore Cop now become an enemy. You've got to handle them.

05. Luggage: You literally can't carry anything on a bike. You'll have to come back home, then probably wait for your wife to bring back the car and the do the shopping.

06. No Music: Do I say more?

I am sure that there are many more reasons not to go for a bike. The only positives, I see here is that you tend to save on fuel (which is least of your worries) and the fact that parking is relatively easier.

I suggest:

01. Retaining the Palio.
02. Buy a used Zen (they cost a bomb compared to a used Palio) for wife.
03. Wait until the Linea/Punto/xyz (what ever you like) has established itself in India (maybe a year after you buy the Zen).
04. Sell the Zen after wify has mastered Zen and is ready for Palio. (It would still fetch you a good amount!)
05. Buy a brand new Diesel Sedan.

Note: In case your wife is already a good driver and does not mind familiarizing with the Palio at this point of time, you could even consider buying a used Palio for dirt cheap instead of the Zen.

Just a suggestion .
Safety 1st .

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 14th June 2008 at 18:36.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote