Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 25th July 2008, 22:39   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
But GP seems to be priced above the B Segment blanquet!
Agree! i'm looking more as an upgrade than a replacement for the Alto.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Guyz,

I have been to native and had driven almost 400Kms on the Alto VX 1.1 including one Cochin and one Idukki trip. Its worth each penny paid for...its really a pocket rocket as everyone yelled

+ I must say AC is the best thing, very adequate cooling and absolutely no power lose due to the powerful 1.1L engine.
+ Then comes the acceleration which is simply superb, even in 5th gear with AC, we feel one there is still another overdrive(6th)!!!
+ Turning radius is amazingly less and very helpful while parking the vehicle in city
+ Disk brakes on the front gives more confidence in stopping the car in urgest situations
+ Fuel efficiency is acceptable comparing the power delivery. As per my analysis its running 14KMPL in mixed drive with AC.

- Less Power to Weight and the tiny 12" wheels makes it scary in high speed drive (above 80KMPH...though its urging to rush high)
- In bad roads, comfort goes for a real toss, assume the small wheels and light weight added with basic shock absorbers are the culprit
- Steering also read the bad surface of the road
- Rear passenger legroom is bit congested
- Lack of power steering was felt whenever the vehicle is idle like when we park or take a U turn after slowing the car.

I changed the seat covers to Camel Tan color soft art-leather and its looking bright. Also changed the front seat head rests with black moulded ones like we have in UNO(it was available in our spare stock and hence no additional cost).

Snaps will be posted next time since my cam had some issues.

Last edited by jacs : 26th August 2008 at 16:16.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Jacs ! That's nice to know that your purchase is VFM. I think upgrading the tyres and wheels can be an option and its a very well deserved upgrade and I think not having a PS is certainly a pain during parking and U turns as mentioned but i think you can live with it .
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Jacs ! That's nice to know that your purchase is VFM. I think upgrading the tyres and wheels can be an option and its a very well deserved upgrade and I think not having a PS is certainly a pain during parking and U turns as mentioned but i think you can live with it .
The fun part is my dad is driving it with ease. I am only finding issue with the steering!!!

Wheel upsizing is in my mind, but seems to be bit expensive affair. What would be the adequate upsize?
Old 26th August 2008, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Smile

Hi Jacs, hope you find this useful. I'm running 175/60R13 Yokos myself, albeit there's some "rubbing" at the rear with 2 people at the back over bad roads. A safer bet would be 155/70R13 or 165/65R13s I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Alto VX 1.1L-altotireprofiles.jpg  

Last edited by im_srini : 26th August 2008 at 18:04.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 19:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well ! Srini had given you the options and currently i have 165/65 R13 Michelin XM1 on a 5.5J alloys and to be safer when fully loaded as the tyres might get scraped with the wheel arches, i got some spacers installed though it might not be necessary for a 5J alloys. Typically for wheel upzise to 13" 12.5K upwards will be the price range for a set of 5 and so will the tyres be around 12.5K upwards depending on the tyres one chooses.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Srini and VJ_MAVRICK. I would consider 165/65 R13 Michelin XM1 on a 5.5J Alloys. Might be in the next change cycle
I had seen this combination on a WagonR parked in our office and it looks good.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Jacs! 165/65 R13 Michelin XM1 is a good tyre and 5J alloys would be ideal as with a 5.5J there might be a slight brushing of the wheel arches by the tyres when it encounters a dip or fully loaded. I upgraded from 5J to 5.5J alloys with the same set of 165/65/R13 tyres and found out that on dips (as the roads are not even) the wheel touches the wheel arches particularly the rear wheels and hence i got some spacers installed and now there is no such problem.
As it is mostly driven by your Father, I suggest you to stick to 5J alloys with the same set of tyres as in that case, there will not be much of a hassle.
Old 9th September 2008, 01:28   #54

Hi Jacs, a rim with a width of 5J or 5.5J will make the steering really heavy for a car without PS. The car might gain show-off value when parked, but will be a real pain to drive around. The real benefit of an alloy wheel: weight-reduction, will be achieved only with the correct size wheel. Over sizing on this front will only burn a hole in your pocket.

Refer the table Srini has published above, the diameter difference between 155/70 and stock is over 1 cm. This would also lead to mudguard scraping. The ideal size would be 155/65 R 13 and Michelin manufactures this size. You would neither need spacers nor worry about bad roads with this one.

Michelin India - XM1

The smallest and lightest alloy wheel in 13" is 4.5J. You will get this size from HR (Hijoin Racing) and Aura. There are very few design options in this size though.

This is the setup I have in my car and it has enhanced the drivability and looks, though the steering has become a tad heavy. My car is equipped with an Electronic Power Steering and am able to feel the extra load inspite of that.

You can see a picture in my earlier post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...tml#post906861 (Alto VX 1.1L)

The alloy rims with the tyres should cost you 25-30K. You will get only peanuts for the old rims and tyres so I suggest you wait till they are due for replacement.
kaushykutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi kaushykutti, thanks for your guidance. I am not considering an upgrade till next change(my dad will sue me) and if driveability maters, I will not touch the stocks as I am not considering to upgrade my biceps
Old 7th October 2009, 11:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Mr Jacs,
I saw a similar car at Vazhakkala in Ernakulam on October 2nd (7349). Was it you?
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 15:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Mr Jacs,
I saw a similar car at Vazhakkala in Ernakulam on October 2nd (7349). Was it you?
Nop! Ours is KL07 AE 2324 and it rarely travel long distance .
Old 9th August 2010, 10:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. I had a 1.1 Alto Spin with me for a few months last year at lucknow. And the car was such a joy thanks to its excellent power to weight ratio. A really quick town car.

Though there is something that bothers me about your car and am surprised how no one thought about it here.

You say that the car has done 25k kms. How come the tyres were worn then?? Ideally the tyres last anywhere between 40k to 50k. The 1.1 I had last year was running second set of tires and it had 53k on the clock and the new set was about 7k kms old.

My baleno has done 36k and its tyres look good for another 5-10k before I may have to replace them. And that is when my driving style does nothing for longer tyre life. Tires on my 800 and esteem too generally lasted 40-50k.

So it surprises me how the front tires were in need to be replaced on a car that had a mere 25k on the odo.

Although the car seems to be in terrific condition from what I can sense from your posts plus only the front tires had to be replaced so maybe the 25k on the odo were genuine. But then it still does not explain the condition of front tires. A car like alto (which is way different from high torque at low RPM diesel machines) will have to be fairly abused to get the tyres worn at 25k.

Do get it confirmed. It surely does sound a bit strange.

You may also check the manufacturing dates of rear tyres and see if they match with the age of the car. Also if you have full service history of the car, you might have an indication if the odo reading was indeed genuine or not.

If there was some other reason because of which you had to change the tires, then surely there does not seem to be anything to worry about.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 9th August 2010 at 11:07.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 13:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi YC.BALENO.CHD,

Thanks, sorry for the confusion here. AFAI remember, car was little more than 35000 on odo when purchased. It was a wrong communication from showroom guys while informing us. Now she is around 51000KMs and still doing great with the same tyres showroom guys replaced near delivery. Only trouble so far is the front right shock had to be replaced few months back. And one small dent on right wheel arch while dad was parking her on a rainy day .

She is now everyones love, ease of parking and the wroom response on city traffic with superchill AC is really a boon.

Last edited by jacs : 9th August 2010 at 13:37.
Old 8th March 2016, 07:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Alto VX 1.1L

Final Update : My pocket rocket is sold after the Nano came home and stole major part of its usage. She has done about 84000KMs at the time of sale which was few months back and was still going mint.

During my 7+ years of usage, only parts changed were Battery (Once), Tyres (Once), Clutch plate (Once), Power windows winder (Once) and AC Cooling coil (Once) in its total 14years of life. Only regular services at Maruti Authorized centres other than the above.

A totally trouble free vehicle and it served us well returning more penny than we invested. Wish if today's Maruti's were equally good and strong.