Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th July 2008, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Go for the i or the Star?

Hey People one of my friend is looking for a hatchback 4 -4.5 lacs budget.
His running will be around 800 km max p.m. He s thinking to go for the i10 1.1 or wait for the A-Star. But im convincing him to go for the i10 since i dont like the looks of A-star. What are features in i10 Era ??? Thanks in Advance! Cheers!
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 10:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Why NOT the Spark? Anyday you'll manage the LT or atleast the LS which is more feature laden. Except a weeee bit slower engine (i10 does respond a bit quicker imho) and beige interiors!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 10:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Spark was first in the list , but thanks to regular discounts from GM he had removed it from his list. He can wait till Diwali and thats why A- Star is also considered.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

what is wrong with discounts? The current prices are one of the lowest ever. It can't get any more VFM. I mean, max 5-10k here or there. Why exclude a pretty decent/cheaper car for that reason?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 11:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Hey People one of my friend is looking for a hatchback 4 -4.5 lacs budget.
His running will be around 800 km max p.m. He s thinking to go for the i10 1.1 or wait for the A-Star. But im convincing him to go for the i10 since i dont like the looks of A-star. What are features in i10 Era ??? Thanks in Advance! Cheers!
I would suggest him the i10

The big diffrence here would be size. A-star is expected to me marginally smaller (just a tad bit) than i10. ALso just like most new cars by Maruti while it may be a VFM product unless Maruti takes some quality measure i don't expect it to be well put together (atleast in camparison with i10).

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 29th July 2008 at 12:00.
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 12:26   #6
BHPian

I think my requirements are very similar, to karan's friend... but i guess my travelling will be less than 800 kms too, approximately 500 on a higher side. It will be my 1st car.. these is so much option with so less difference in pricing, its so dam confusing yaaa. I will follow this thread closely.
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 12:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
I think my requirements are very similar, to karan's friend... but i guess my travelling will be less than 800 kms too, approximately 500 on a higher side. It will be my 1st car.. these is so much option with so less difference in pricing, its so dam confusing yaaa. I will follow this thread closely.
I think i10 is a better option in that range. Though i think it kinda overpriced. It looks better , good interiors i think 1.1 Era would be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
what is wrong with discounts? The current prices are one of the lowest ever. It can't get any more VFM. I mean, max 5-10k here or there. Why exclude a pretty decent/cheaper car for that reason?
Phamilyman, the problem is that he feels that Spark will fetch kinda bad resale as GM is regularly giving discounts. Imagine people who bought Spark in the beginning. Spark is a wonderful city car no doubt. But the thing is he s planning to keep this car only for 3 yrs max ! So resale might be an issue.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 29th July 2008, 13:57   #8
BHPian

Karan: see again its confusing, I10 is a good option but then its overpriced, so i can look at 1.1 era, now if i am looking at a 1.1 engine Getz Prime 1.1 is also good, again i am confused.

1st thing on my mind is budget (which is upto 5 lakhs), 2nd space for 5 people considering, occasionally my in laws are also going to accompany for some trips like dinner and stuff. Currently we are 3 adults and 1 infant. Me and My wife will be driving mostly. Again, my job is about Ad sales so i am usually on the bike or more faster mode of transports i.e. Train. Hmm so many things to consider.

I did look for 2nd hand hondas too so that i could spend on wheels and ice, but then finding a honda 1.5 or vtec is like looking for a good girl to suit ur family heheh in other words (achi Dhulan).
Old 29th July 2008, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sohail Bhai - I think Getz 1.1 is a tad underpowered for its size. Getz has excellent legroom so it would be a perfect car for 3 adults in the back seat. If you do zero in Getz do book it ASAP as i20 is around the corner and expect i20 priced lil higher than Getz. i10 meets all your needs but Getz 1.1 scores high on interior space.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:33   #10
BHPian

After several suggestions on spark (on different threads) I did consider Spark to buy as my second car. Checked out the car. I know many of you on this forum like it, but as said by 'karanraheja' price alterations & heavy discounts do really create a sense of insecurity in terms of the value of the car. Second I found too less space inside - rear seats have curved edge and doesnt give enough thigh support. rear space is just too less and since the rear windshield curves in a high angle, the space looks smaller than any other hatchback. hate the central console and whenever I see Daewoo Matiz go beside me when I am driving I wonder why at all they changed the console on Spark. Aesthetics, space & comfort, have a major minus
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 15:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

If he can wait, then he should.
Who knows, i10 might see a price correction after the launch of Astar / Splash.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 17:49   #12
bkm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
After several suggestions on spark (on different threads) I did consider Spark to buy as my second car. Checked out the car. I know many of you on this forum like it, but as said by 'karanraheja' price alterations & heavy discounts do really create a sense of insecurity in terms of the value of the car. Second I found too less space inside - rear seats have curved edge and doesnt give enough thigh support. rear space is just too less and since the rear windshield curves in a high angle, the space looks smaller than any other hatchback. hate the central console and whenever I see Daewoo Matiz go beside me when I am driving I wonder why at all they changed the console on Spark. Aesthetics, space & comfort, have a major minus
To me spark is quite spacious , central console is unique and gives a high end feeling to interior. Already at a very good price , no further discount can be expected . Out and Out Spark is the most worthy buy at the offered price. No doubt.superb ride quality , Decent mileage etc
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 18:25   #13
BHPian

karan : dont call me bhai... hehe police is on a lookout for bhais now a days hehe. Anyways i take in ur suggestion, as i mentioned earlier also that budget is the main thing. i also enquired about swift its something close to 4.76lakhs and with accessories like front power windows and other jazz would be at 5 lakhs approx. As wifey is little inclined towards swift, she is currently using a santro, so now wants a change. By the way Swift in ur avtaar looks nice as well as in the gallery.
Old 29th July 2008, 18:55   #14
BHPian

central console has no advantage to the driver, because the panels are not in the line of sight of the driver. If it does give a high end feeling, perhaps true for some, but has no functional advantage.
i10 definitely has good console and easy to reach gear lever, built in player.
For example comparing the steering and horn press- i10 has the horn access on the spoke of the steering.. and with spark its central and cumbersome.
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 19:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Sohail Bhai - I think Getz 1.1 is a tad underpowered for its size.
I used to think the same until I drove the Getz 1.1

I am not saying that its fast, but its throughly drivable in my opinion. It does not feel underpowered.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote