Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 26th August 2008, 16:26   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Indica Vista in any model and version do not come with Airbags and ABS. But they have provided the display for ABS/Airbags in the console since they plan to introduce in 6 months down the line
May be OT:
My March 2003 Indica LSi has display for ABS, SRS etc. The owner's manual came with a disclaimer. Tata has not launched a petrol Indica with the above safety features in India yet.

Hope these become standard soon with all manufacturers.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:36   #17
BHPian

Looks like the Indica Vista Safire has been intentionally tuned to 65PS to extract maximum fuel efficiency figures. Anyways one needs to TD the car with AC on inclines, inclines with humps, half clutch usability in inclines etc. That would give a fair idea about the power delivery.
girish.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 16:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you want performance and does not care for FE and resale, then go for palio 1.6. If you care for other things then Indica is recommended.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Before buying a FIAT, any FIAT, be prepared for more time at the Service Center, in case of an accident or an incident that requires anything more than regular consumables. regular service is not a problem.

If there are a lot of people in the family who will depend on one car for DAILY use, then think twice before buying a Fiat in today's scenario.

See if the Indica Vista has the features that you really require, as against just features. And I doubt if there is any Petrol hatch in India that is as much fun to drive than the Palio 1.6. Atleast on paper, it doesn't look like as if the Vista will match that.

Economy is a different thing altogether.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Take a test drive on the vista and that should clearly help out with your dilema.
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 17:44   #21
BANNED

Since you state that it is in fact the interiors of the Indica that impress you more than anything else, the decision is as simple as what you care for, and prioritize - performance versus interior looks/features.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 20:32   #22
BHPian

whatever the attraction of the Palio 1.6, is it still wise to purchase it considering that it would be phased out soon. moreover its engine is not shared by any other fiat or tata car, which means acquiring critical spares might be a problem in a year or two.

think and make the decision.

at the same time, no one knows the quality of Safire yet. If one is hell bent on Safire, its better to TD it to death first.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 10:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
If you want performance and does not care for FE and resale, then go for palio 1.6. If you care for other things then Indica is recommended.
Yeah i tend to keep the car for atleast 5 years and also i'm not a FE freak orelse i would had settled for an Alto thou i do care for my pockets with M

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Before buying a FIAT, any FIAT, be prepared for more time at the Service Center, in case of an accident or an incident that requires anything more than regular consumables. regular service is not a problem.

If there are a lot of people in the family who will depend on one car for DAILY use, then think twice before buying a Fiat in today's scenario.

See if the Indica Vista has the features that you really require, as against just features. And I doubt if there is any Petrol hatch in India that is as much fun to drive than the Palio 1.6. Atleast on paper, it doesn't look like as if the Vista will match that.

Economy is a different thing altogether.
I would be the one using the car and this wont be for daily use, only intermittently by me. No dependency on this car except for me

I'm quite aware of the service hassels and have read your reviews about your incident too. Somewhere I've read FIAT CSM Mangesh K is trying hard to improve the service, its only the dealers who mess the whole process. He had been in Banglore personally to visit the Dealers to see the progress. He also met some PUG members.

Thanks for your info, architect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Take a test drive on the vista and that should clearly help out with your dilema.
Yeah i would be surely doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Since you state that it is in fact the interiors of the Indica that impress you more than anything else, the decision is as simple as what you care for, and prioritize - performance versus interior looks/features.
Only features are not my priority but its obvious to feel jealous when you see another hatch of your segment and that too TATA giving such loads of features while FIAT still continuin with dated features.

Ofcourse the ride, handling, sustainability matters in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
whatever the attraction of the Palio 1.6, is it still wise to purchase it considering that it would be phased out soon. moreover its engine is not shared by any other fiat or tata car, which means acquiring critical spares might be a problem in a year or two.

think and make the decision.

at the same time, no one knows the quality of Safire yet. If one is hell bent on Safire, its better to TD it to death first.

Palio MJD will be phased out after Vista QJD and GP. However not sure about Palio 1.6 as there wont be any other hatch from Fiat nor other competitor providing this engine. Also somewhere i read in 2010 they are going to launch new version of Palio, i.e. new uno something like that.

Even after Fiats entry closure in India in the past, Palio s10, GTX sustained successfully..and till today are valued for its performance that says it ages lot well...

With GP and Linea, Palio Stile 1.6 would be a unique hatch among them in its own segment thou not in looks and features

Again said, I would be doing a good TD on Safire 1.2 as well..

thanks for all your inputs!

Cheers~
Rudrah
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:48   #24
BHPian

Considering all the arguments stated above, here are my two cents. If you had selected the Palio 1.6 earlier, it simply means that you are an enthusiast who given an opportunity would like to have the wind ruffle your hair instead of steadately motoring along! Agreed that the Vista looks like nice and shiny right now but the glitter will soon wear off. One that happens, you will be probably wishing for more power and pickup from your ride. Even if the 1.6 does get phased out, you would still manage to run the vehicle for another 5 years. The FIAT build quality is great and generally one does not face that many mechanical problems from their engines. So it will age gracefully! Hell, I have been driving a Uno 1.0 for the last 3 years, which has been phased out in 2001-2 and (touch wood) no major issues. So IMO, go for that vehicle that relates to you and your needs.
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:56   #25
BHPian

Considering all the above arguements, here are my 2 cents! If you had selected the Palio 1.6 earlier, this simply means that you are an enthusiast, who given an opportunity will like to have the wind ruffle his/her hair instead of sedately motoring along! So, even thought the Vista and its interiors/features are alluring you right now, in the long run, you will end up craving for the power and performance of the 1.6. Even if they pahse out the 1.6, FIAT vehicles age well! Hell, I drive a Uno (1997) that has been phased out for more than 5 years and (touch wood) have not faced any major issues. You'll always find spares and mechanical help for the 1.6 in the near future. So, IMO, go for the vehicle which suits your driving style and requirements and not for just the eye-candy!
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 15:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you have misgivings about the interiors in the Palio it might be an issue since you will be looking at them whenever you drive the car

Regarding spares the situation does seem better but dealers are still not willing shell out money to stock fiat parts. Its pretty low on their list of priorities. They still prefer to place an order and get it only when its needed and that sometimes runs to a lot of delays. For eg, my car was diganosed with a leaking brake booster and they recommended it to be replaced.Gave in on August 7th and received it only the day before.

OTOH I needed to replace a headlight and it happened to be available and that was replaced in 2 hours. So depends on your luck , if you get stuck needing an uncommon part you might run into long delays. I have another car but I guess anyone else might have found it tough not having a car for a month.

Do check with other people from Mumbai , perhaps situation is better due to closer proximity to the FIAT factory.

Last edited by bottle : 27th August 2008 at 15:54.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 16:24   #27
BHPian

Lets make this simple;

Would you rather drive in a new generation, high on accessories and gadgets, features and the likes car with a mere 1.2l engine (which makes no enjoyment at seeing the centre console)

OR

Would you like to fly in a 1.6l 100BHP monstrous car, one of a kind in its whole segment, though a bit primitive in interiors, but with a legacy, and history of speed?

Personally i would opt for the 1.6.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 16:27   #28
BHPian

Default go for palio

Hey Rudrah,
Go for Palio 1.6.Atleast if you are at the selection process its ok.But having booked a beast,why dont you want to jump back from sheer driving pleasure.
Palio is not phased out for some more time as I heard from Mangesh of FIAT that new interiors are being made for the Palio.And i raised the same doubt of phasing out.He said they started manufacturing Uno from 96-2002.So when they invest on a model,they should produce it atleast for some years.Regarding parts,I have a old version Siena 1.2,I have got all parts from the market in Chennai or TATA A.S.S.Never my car has stood for a day without a parts..So go ahead,Vista is not that great.Palio is great in terms of appearance,boot space,road presence,driving pleasure.

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX
vigneshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 17:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
If you have misgivings about the interiors in the Palio it might be an issue since you will be looking at them whenever you drive the car

Regarding spares the situation does seem better but dealers are still not willing shell out money to stock fiat parts. Its pretty low on their list of priorities. They still prefer to place an order and get it only when its needed and that sometimes runs to a lot of delays. For eg, my car was diganosed with a leaking brake booster and they recommended it to be replaced.Gave in on August 7th and received it only the day before.

OTOH I needed to replace a headlight and it happened to be available and that was replaced in 2 hours. So depends on your luck , if you get stuck needing an uncommon part you might run into long delays. I have another car but I guess anyone else might have found it tough not having a car for a month.

Do check with other people from Mumbai , perhaps situation is better due to closer proximity to the FIAT factory.
Dealers do not stock the spares and prefer to order when required. How effective the TATA-FIAT JV is on Fiat's service is a question till date! The same attitude is when you opt to buy a Fiat car...they are least bothered to sell/promote.

I dont think close proximity to the factory would matter much until the dealer makes a high priority case!

btw is it living with FIAT = living with Luck?? I hope so not..

But I suppose this issue of procurring uncommon spares can occur with MSIL or Hyundai too, right?

probably this sat would go for a TD of Vista. Keeping thumbs up than fingers crossed...

Cheers~
Rudrah
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 20:25   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post

Also somewhere i read in 2010 they are going to launch new version of Palio, i.e. new uno something like that.
Where did you get this piece of information?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote