Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th September 2008, 22:46   #16
BHPian

There are a couple of old diesel palios with a couple of friends, tommorrows tribune willl have their ads, but I got pissed with spare parts issues of the palio. I also happen to know bout a 2005 petra, good condition , pm me or call me in the afternoon tommorrow at 9356661616 and i ll guide you there.....

But still my advise is No way to a used diesel car with more than 15-20k on the odo with this kinda requirement. you are a student , spending it on an old pile of metal will give u worries. Go for a used Wagon R or a Santro, and maintain it well. it would be within your budget, would cost less to maintain and are regarded as quality cars

Last edited by rohitgaur : 27th September 2008 at 22:53.
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 08:48   #17
BHPian

Palio - spare parts problem
Lancer - Less average and expensive spare parts.
Indica - Don't want to buy it but i think it is the only option.

Another Indica DLG or DLX turbo is going to be a good one..

One thing, can any one tell what will be the approx price for a 1 1/2 or 2 year old indica DLG or DLX turbo.
GoodDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 17:34   #18
BHPian

Be ready for a minimum of 3lacs for a 2 yr old Indica DLG car. DLX would cost another 20k more. Of all you would still get a minimum 30-40k run Indica only for this price. And thus you will have niggle issues in few days. Hence your best bet would be a WagonR or Santro which will cost around 2.5lacs and would have run 40k. To tell you a fact 40k for Hyundai or a WagonR is not much. They will run lots still on it.

Anup
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 02:21   #19
BHPian

the lancer is available in the diesel version and so is the opel astra.the latter will come very cheap at around 50 000/-.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 07:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

an opel astra TDI is going to be an even bigger white elephant than a palio D. he might as well buy a Peugeot 309 GLD !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 09:25   #21
BHPian

Pitch for your dad's indica...
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Be ready for a minimum of 3lacs for a 2 yr old Indica DLG car. DLX would cost another 20k more. Of all you would still get a minimum 30-40k run Indica only for this price. And thus you will have niggle issues in few days. Hence your best bet would be a WagonR or Santro which will cost around 2.5lacs and would have run 40k. To tell you a fact 40k for Hyundai or a WagonR is not much. They will run lots still on it.

Anup
Actually, My running will be minimum 2-3 K Km/month. So, a petrol car is going to rob my pockets. Thats the main reason i am not going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
the lancer is available in the diesel version and so is the opel astra.the latter will come very cheap at around 50 000/-.
Astra is a really nice car but i think its spare parts are much more expensive as compared to lancer.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:51   #23
BHPian

Try if you can lay your hands on the OEM Zen D or the Esteem D, not the retro fitted ones , but the Maruti made Diesels have a reputation even in the case of the Zen. Leg space in Zen is Low but here some compromise.

One actually far fetched option is the Tata Sierra, I mean less tha 2L, your Height, Running and Spare availability , but that wuld be feasible if it is checked thoroughly by someone very thorough with TATA
I recently came across on Turbo Sierra in the Carbazaar , the guy was asking for 2.2 L and It was a Bottle green Beauty , very well maintained. My dad put his foot down on a sierra, else it is a Perfect Chandigarh Car, good for Gedi, Jatts, and CAR o BARcheers:
Most of all It looks Good if maintained well and has snob value still and has some style
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 16:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

someone here was selling one for 1l. ( he already had an offer for 80k i think)
Old 30th September 2008, 16:44   #25
BHPian

the astra might have expensive spares but dude your intitial investment is not going to be more than 50k.maybe even less.i know a guy who got one astra tdi,2000 model for 30,000/-.that leaves more than one lakh for in hand doesnt it?
Old 30th September 2008, 16:47   #26
BHPian

dude u could also think of cielos which are available damn cheap,at around 50,000 and fit them with LPG
Old 30th September 2008, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
...But still my advise is No way to a used diesel car with more than 15-20k on the odo with this kinda requirement. you are a student , spending it on an old pile of metal will give u worries. Go for a used Wagon R or a Santro, and maintain it well. it would be within your budget, would cost less to maintain and are regarded as quality cars
I hope you realise that a diesel car that has run less than 20k km would have to be less than a year old? I would be extremely grateful if you could suggest such a car for less than 2 lakh.
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 17:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
the astra might have expensive spares but dude your intitial investment is not going to be more than 50k.maybe even less.i know a guy who got one astra tdi,2000 model for 30,000/-.that leaves more than one lakh for in hand doesnt it?
Now, that is something which is changing my mind. Astra prices are in 50K to 100K in chandigarh.

The main thing is of the spare parts. I mean things which will need replacement regularly. Like

1. Brake
2. Suspension
3. Head lights
4. Bumper

etc. etc..

Does anyone know any place from where i can get Astra spare parts prices?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
Try if you can lay your hands on the OEM Zen D or the Esteem D, not the retro fitted ones , but the Maruti made Diesels have a reputation even in the case of the Zen. Leg space in Zen is Low but here some compromise.

One actually far fetched option is the Tata Sierra, I mean less tha 2L, your Height, Running and Spare availability , but that wuld be feasible if it is checked thoroughly by someone very thorough with TATA
I recently came across on Turbo Sierra in the Carbazaar , the guy was asking for 2.2 L and It was a Bottle green Beauty , very well maintained. My dad put his foot down on a sierra, else it is a Perfect Chandigarh Car, good for Gedi, Jatts, and CAR o BARcheers:
Most of all It looks Good if maintained well and has snob value still and has some style
Can't buy Sierra or any other SUV.
But a Zen diesel is really a good recommendation.

Quote:
dude u could also think of cielos which are available damn cheap,at around 50,000 and fit them with LPG
As already said. My parents are not going to allow me to use a LPG or CNG car.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:14   #29
BHPian

here is what i suggest you should do. It may sound way off but its worth the effort.

1. How long do you plan to keep this car?
2. A Palio D or Astra, though cheap to buy will have lack of spare parts, and will give you absolutely no resale value at the end of your usage. Add ot that the mental agony you will go through to maintain it.
3. 2-3k kms / month. That ways you will need a service in every 2 - 2.5 months. Again, a diesel is supposedly more expensive to service than a petrol.

Also the diesel car that you will get for this budget won't be a crdi, crde, mjd, ddis, tdi, and the likes. I am assuming this will give you niggling issues.

I suggest you go back to an excel sheet, and do a real time calculation. I think a wagon R, santro or the likes should be a good option.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 18:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

you, my friend, have an impossible set of constraints.
In plain english, this is known as wanting to have your cake and eat it too