Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 1st October 2008, 00:32   #31
BHPian

@tekno
sometimes you get cars that are used by retirees, nris esp in chandigarh like cities..... for example there is a palio d 2004, 28k on the odo, but that is not the question here.

ok evil, let us find you a zen d now
rohitgaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 10:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you, my friend, have an impossible set of constraints.
In plain english, this is known as wanting to have your cake and eat it too
As this is my frist car, i really need to know all the options i have within my budget. I don't want to buy the car in hurry and repel for the same later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
here is what i suggest you should do. It may sound way off but its worth the effort.

1. How long do you plan to keep this car?
2. A Palio D or Astra, though cheap to buy will have lack of spare parts, and will give you absolutely no resale value at the end of your usage. Add ot that the mental agony you will go through to maintain it.
3. 2-3k kms / month. That ways you will need a service in every 2 - 2.5 months. Again, a diesel is supposedly more expensive to service than a petrol.

Also the diesel car that you will get for this budget won't be a crdi, crde, mjd, ddis, tdi, and the likes. I am assuming this will give you niggling issues.

I suggest you go back to an excel sheet, and do a real time calculation. I think a wagon R, santro or the likes should be a good option.
1. Will be keeping this car for 2 years.
2. I have driven Astra. It is really a nice car and also have nice interiors. I dont really care for the resale value but i do car for the ownership cost. (specially spare parts)
3. Like, Following are some calculations i did (please correct me if i am wrong)

Santro/WagonR - 15kmpl @ 55INR per liter petrol = 3.66 per km
Palio - 15kmpl @ 34 INR per diesel = 2.26 per km
Astra is going to be a lot more expensive to maintain but its initial cheap cost is going to compensate it.(i think)
So for it - 9kmpl @ 34 kmpl per diesel = 3.77 (which is more than a petrol car).
Indica Turbo - 15 kmpl @34kmpl per diesel = 2.26 per km
Indica is the best option as it is sturdy, spacious and also the maintenance cost is not that much but it is going to be out of my budget as respected members say it is 3+.
I have no idea about zen diesel.... as i have never driven it.
Lancer - 10 kmpl @ 34 per liter diesel = 3.4 per km
(i can do repairs in parts, I mean repairing one thing after another but in parts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
@tekno
sometimes you get cars that are used by retirees, nris esp in chandigarh like cities..... for example there is a palio d 2004, 28k on the odo, but that is not the question here.
ok evil, let us find you a zen d now
NRI cars - Yes, but the asking prices is always way out of my reach.
Retirees cars as an option but all the ones i got are only petrol zens.
GoodDevil is offline   Reply With Quote