Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 26th September 2008, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Default Advice on second hand diesel car

Hi,
I am a student and i am looking to buy a second hand diesel car. My budget is nearly 1.50 L. So, can you please suggest me a car which is have good average cause i am going to drive the car approx. 2-3K per month. I want a car which is comfortable and which does not feel like a bull cart.. and also i want a car which is spacious cause i am 6.3 ft and my other friends are als

Is there any car which will come in this price range with the mentioned requirements?
GoodDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Indica V2. But it does drive like a bull cart. So you might be disappointed.

Palio 1.9 D is another option, but be prepared for spare part/service related troubles.

Zen D - Cramped for space, and everything outdated.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 19:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

2L should be your budget for a remotely decent Indica turbo, but with 55-60k on the odo.

Palio WILL have issues with spares if not maintained well. Ask rohitgaur about spares issues - I know of delhiites whose cars have stood idle for want of timing belt etyadi.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 19:24   #4
BHPian

only Indica you can get in that Budget. But if you want to go for Petrol you can get decent 2001 model Wagan R or Santro.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 19:39   #5
BHPian

indica is the best choice considering the running costs n service availability
benkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 19:56   #6
BHPian

You can only get a 2001/2002 model for your budget mate. 1.5 lacs seems less to own a diesel car meeting all your requirements. Either you will have to go for a 80k 90k+ driven car which would be around 2001 model, or else you will have to increase your bedget to 2.5 for a post 2003 model V2 which would have run around 50k+. But yeah all those V2 wewre slow enough and you will not find this turbo/ high torque and all.

Anup
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 21:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Maybe Indica V2. But it does drive like a bull cart. So you might be disappointed.

Palio 1.9 D is another option, but be prepared for spare part/service related troubles.

Zen D - Cramped for space, and everything outdated.

I was thinking about the Palio 1.9 D but this spare part thing is worrying me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
2L should be your budget for a remotely decent Indica turbo, but with 55-60k on the odo.

Palio WILL have issues with spares if not maintained well. Ask rohitgaur about spares issues - I know of delhiites whose cars have stood idle for want of timing belt etyadi.

actually, my real budget is 2L but i was looking to save 50 K for repairs and upgrading (seat covers, rims, tyers, music system etc. I mean what ever i can get in that 50K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
only Indica you can get in that Budget. But if you want to go for Petrol you can get decent 2001 model Wagan R or Santro.
My dad have 2007 Indica DLG Turbo. So, i don't think that there is any point of getting the same car. As of petrol cars, I don;t think that they are going to be easy on my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
You can only get a 2001/2002 model for your budget mate. 1.5 lacs seems less to own a diesel car meeting all your requirements. Either you will have to go for a 80k 90k+ driven car which would be around 2001 model, or else you will have to increase your bedget to 2.5 for a post 2003 model V2 which would have run around 50k+. But yeah all those V2 wewre slow enough and you will not find this turbo/ high torque and all.

Anup
Budget raised to 2L and Indica is not an option..

Thanxx a lot for your replies... I am looking forward for more.

Regards,
GoodDevil.
Old 27th September 2008, 10:59   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you aren't keen on the Indica, the Palio D is your best bet. You could also consider buying a regular petrol car (Zen, Esteem etc.) and retrofitting a CNG kit for that kind of running.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

if you have a DLG turbo and want something else, its going to be tough. the only other alternative is to get a petrol vehicle with LPG/CNG
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 11:34   #10
BHPian

I live in Chandigarh and we don't have CNG here. My parents ain't gonna allow me to use a LPG car.
Diesel is the only option..

What about Lancer... (if i again stretch my budget a little bit more)
Is Lancer diesel pickup equal to Indica DLG Turbo?
Old 27th September 2008, 11:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

forgot another option, a premier 137D - you should be able to pick one up dirt cheap and mod the hell out of it
The lancer has lower power 65 bhp and torque -12.5 Nm compared to your dad's indica which has 68 and 13 respectively

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th September 2008 at 12:01.
Old 27th September 2008, 11:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDevil View Post
What about Lancer... (if i again stretch my budget a little bit more)
Is Lancer diesel pickup equal to Indica DLG Turbo?
It's quite unfair to compare to compare India with Lancer, however, still pickup and snob value Of Lancer D is far better then that of Indica Turbo. On the other side, you might have to compensate with High value spares and less mileage when compared to Indica.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 12:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

of course ,with the lancer you can remove the Diesel badging , and rice it up,
Old 27th September 2008, 17:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
It's quite unfair to compare to compare India with Lancer, however, still pickup and snob value Of Lancer D is far better then that of Indica Turbo. On the other side, you might have to compensate with High value spares and less mileage when compared to Indica.
I think i can replace all bad parts for once, but i just lancer to run better then Indica Turbo.

Thats all i want..
Old 27th September 2008, 22:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Go for either Palio D or Lancer. TD both the vehicles and choose.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote