Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th April 2005, 20:07   #1
BHPian

Default Shifting to MUMBAI...Need help with my Car

Hi Friends,
I will be moving to Mumbai from Kolkata in a couple of months and need your inputs on the following :

- I have new 1.2 Palio, bought & registered in Dec'04 in Kolkata, paid 5 year Road Tax.
And I plan to bring the car alongwith me.

Ques: What are the formalities to be completed once my car is in Mumbai... like ROAd TAX ?
-any Inter-state transfer charges (from West Bengal to Maharashtra)
- Is it compulsory to get the registration chagned from WB to MH (if yes, what documents required?)
- Can I simply pay the Road Tax only and retain the WB number?
- Within what time period should I have to pay up the Raod tax atleast for using the car in MH ?
- What is the APPROXIMATE road tax amount which I might have to pay for a Palio Nv 1.2 ELPS ?

Thanks guys for your help.

P.S : Also does any know or recommend any Car transporter ... I am very scary of them because one of my friends Santro had been damaged extensively while shipping it from Kolkata to Delhi.... had to spend over 45K to get the car in road worthy condition!!!
arijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

I moved my car from Mumbai to Delhi for about 7k. The car was damaged a bit. I got it done from some local company as they let me put some things in the car too. Iv heard that Aggarwal Packers are the best. Look them up. Anyways I'm running my car here with no problems . But then again Maharashtra is more strict check it out. I dont think you have to change your registration. My family had registered a M800 from Daman & Diu (the cheapest place i think) and drove it in Mumbai without any hassles.However now I think its a lot stricter with the authorities comming to your housing society and catching people with Thane registration too . However since yours is a genuine case I guess you might not have to do much. There are a couple of Delhi registrations running in my building. Dunno if they had any problems.However one thing is for sure Maharashtra and Mumbai are a lot stricter than other states. Damn !!! I miss home. Anyways enjoy your stay in the best city in the world and try and contribute as much as possible to the city. Jai Maharashtra Jai Mumbai

Last edited by khanak : 5th April 2005 at 20:52.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 21:01   #3
BHPian

i think the best thing to do is get your mumbai address endorsed on your blue book... and pay the tax for mum.. its life time out there .... also why do you want to get it transported to mum by a transporter... having a car like fiat... drive it down to mumbai ... i think u should enjoy it!!
amitava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 21:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

i would suggest you to drive it down yourself , or hire a driver for the same as your car is definately exposed to damage if you transport it through a truck or something .

for the paper work i think you need to get a NOC from the RTO office in your city and come to bombay and pay the taxes and the octroi too .
a cheaper option would be to let it be registered on WB number if you have an address there !

manson .
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess ittl be fun to drive it down but I guess youll be using up a lot of your tyres and I dont know how good the roads are
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 22:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit
Hi Friends,
I will be moving to Mumbai from Kolkata in a couple of months and need your inputs on the following
1. Driving down to Bombay is out of question. Couple of months from now??? You're talking about peak summer right through your route.
2. Get in touch with Leo Packers (www.leopackers.com). I did, 14 years back.They take special care for cars.
3. Come fast. I'll be able to meet you more often since I travel to Bombay pretty........
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 10:05   #7
BHPian

check out these "Agarwal packers". They are supposed to be pro's in moving stuff.

www.agarwalpackers.com/home.htm

www.calcuttayellowpages.com/adver/100773.html

Dunno what/how they go about wid cars though
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 13:06   #8
BHPian

Have moved my car from mumbai to bangalore and back last year on account of job transfers....

mumbai - blr was done by CROWN... they are the best in the industry.. expensive tho'.. dint matter to me coz the office picked up the tab.. excellent service.. and as luck wud have it... there was a small accident that happened when these guess were driving the car to their godown after pickin i up from my res.. and guess what... they did the requisite to rectify the minimal damage....

blr- mum was done by Interem... again a decent company... no issues whatsoever....

when shifting.. u need to note that the car is typically transported in a truck to the outskirts of mumbai and then driven down from thereon... the transport peice is generally clean.. its the drive which causes most problems...

u also have the option of having ur transportation insured.. the car insurance typically wudnt cover this... the insurance might jack up ur transportation cost a lil.. but is worth it...

cheers
vivaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 14:50   #9
BHPian

I used Agarwal for transporting my car from Pune to Bangalore.... No problems whatsoever. This was last year
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 17:35   #10
BHPian

I tried Leo Packers for Calcutta to Bangalore shift several years - Excellent

Same Leo for Hyderabad to Bangalore shift a few years ago - Damaged my Car.

They paid for the repairs, though. Left me very upset. I have decided never to use them again.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 19:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
They paid for the repairs, though. Left me very upset. I have decided never to use them again.
Ooops. Didn't know this current state. Arijit, please check out clearly about your car transportation. Whoever you're going with.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all your inputs.

Rudra-da,
Have checked out the LEO website

And definately, we will meet now (though maybe after couple of months

..and yes, I agree with you, driving down during peak summer through Orissa/Chattisgarh and then thru Maharastra heat...... (yes yes guys, I know my cars got powerfull a.c ..but still..)

Scuderia,
Have checked out the Agarwal website... Agrawal is ISO certified company....hence I would give preference to them.

Will be asking for quotation from these two as well few others. And I might use a single co. to transport even the household items also.
Old 7th April 2005, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Arijit,

Leo did not have a direct office in Calcutta. Do not know the status now. They had an affiliate call LS Quick Packers & Movers. Their office was in Sardar Shankar Road near Lake Market. The owner is Mani.

I do not know if the same arrangement continues.

All the best.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 17:32   #14
BHPian

Default URGENT- Mumbai INTRACITY Distances

Hi friends,
As mentioned, I am relocating to Mumbai and have come back after my first trip from Mumbai...doing house hunting & job hunting !!!

I need following info from you.....to finalise the house hunt!

01.Road Distance between :
a) Kandivli (e) <Thakur Village> and Prabhadevi
b) Sanpada (Navi Mumbai) and Prabhadevi

02.Apprx. journey time (by road again) between above two points
during normal office hours.
I would be leaving home say at 0800 hrs in morning and
returning from Prabhadevi starting at 1830/1900hrs?

03.any good road map sites of Mumbai & its suburbs on the net
alongwith the distance chart (intra-city/suburbs)

I need to close the deals by Tuesday - 10th!!
Thanks for your help
Arijit
Old 9th May 2005, 18:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Arijit,

dont know the exact distance in kms but anyways let me try,,,

kandivili - prabhadevi - will take you 50 - 60 mins in normal traffic conditions. roads are under widening slowing down traffic both ways. while returning from prabhadevi - kandivili will take you more time about 75-90 mins depending on traffic IMO. the route about which im talking is through the western express highway to bandra - mahim - shivaji park - prabhadevi.

sanpada - prabhadevi - 8 am start will take you 50-60 mins and the way back i think will be faster than going to kandivili. the route will be sanpada - chembur - sion - dadar - prabhadevi. you will have to pay a monthly toll of 670 bucks or 40 bucks a day on this route.
Caution - you have to pass through sion which is very notorious for traffic and with the proposed flyover at the sion junction i dunno what is going to happen. but i can help you out with alternate routes

as far as housing is concerned - kandivili is in the western suburbs where most of the action takes place while sanpada is nearer to the palm beach road and the mumbai - pune expressway which means better driving pleasure.

other than that both places are nice and comfy , have bigger houses , sanpada being the more spacious i guess ......

hope this helps - and let us know when and where you shifting and if you need any help we are here !

cheers

ps - Check out www.mapmyindia.com for routes - i think you should get it there !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th May 2005 at 18:34.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote