Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 25th November 2008, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Default Shortlisted i10 magna(kappa) and Swift LDI

Hi,

As my waiting for the launch of A-Star is over and I am not interested in buying a A-Star anymore now.

I have 2 cars in my final list and I need BHP guy’s advice on which one to go for.

Please advice me as I need to book any one of them ASAP. My daily run would be around 50-70 km and on weekends would be above 100 km
  • i10 Magna (Kappa) = Price = 405970 less 13k(discount)= 392970 (Ex SR Chandigarh)
  • Swift LDI = Price = 487016 (Ex SR Chandigarh) (No discount on it and waiting period is around 3 months now).
Also I would like to know how much average does both cars gives in city and on highway.

Thanks in advance.
tarunmadhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Its between an old diesel and a new petrol with a price difference of 1lac.

i10 Kappa if you dont mind petrol.

Check other threads where we have the same discussion.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:16   #3
BHPian

I think your high daily running itself would tilt this decision towards the swift Ldi.

The cars you are comparing are not in the same price and segment bracket. If you can wait and have the budget, wait for the release of hyundai i20 also, if not consider the hyundai getz crdi also.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its between an old diesel and a new petrol with a price difference of 1lac.

i10 Kappa if you dont mind petrol.

Check other threads where we have the same discussion.
I was reading somewhere that Swift diesel gives around 20km/L.
I added swift diesel because of its good looks and engine power.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Anyday, the running cost/km (without maintenance etc)should less compared to the diesel given the price 7 higher mileage these Diesel engine give.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I think your high daily running itself would tilt this decision towards the swift Ldi.

The cars you are comparing are not in the same price and segment bracket. If you can wait and have the budget, wait for the release of hyundai i20 also, if not consider the hyundai getz crdi also.
Thanks for the reply, do you know what would the price tag be of i20, and when is it going to be launched?

Don't want to go for a getz, due to its low resale value.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Thanks for the reply, do you know what would the price tag be of i20, and when is it going to be launched?

Don't want to go for a getz, due to its low resale value.
Nobody knows the price yet, so waiting is the only option. It may get launched by Jan 2009 latest.

The resale value of petrol getz is lower than swift, but I do not know whether the same would hold true for Getz crdi. It may even sell for a premium over swift ldi , when you sell it.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Nobody knows the price yet, so waiting is the only option. It may get launched by Jan 2009 latest.

The resale value of petrol getz is lower than swift, but I do not know whether the same would hold true for Getz crdi. It may even sell for a premium over swift ldi , when you sell it.
Just saw the price of getz Crdi which is Rs 564734 (Ex SR Chandigarh)which is too much.

I can spend Max till 5 Lakhs.

Can any Swift LDi or i10 Kappa user share the average of there cars?
Old 25th November 2008, 12:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was reading somewhere that Swift diesel gives around 20km/L.
I added swift diesel because of its good looks and engine power.
The FE of my Swift diesel is about 20 kmpl. The average running costs come to about 2 bucks a km including servicing cost and oil and filter changes every 5000km instead of the recommended 10,000 km.

The cars that you have selected are arguably the best in their respective segments and fuel options. I think its a straight call between petrol and diesel, purely depending on the number of miles you plan to crunch.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can any Swift LDi or i10 Kappa user share the average of there cars?
I am buying an i10 Kappa. You can expect around 12kmpl before the first service and around 14kmpl after that in city runs. On highways, expect around 15kmpl.

This is based on discussion with a few i10 owners and is a conservative figure.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 12:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Please advice me as I need to book any one of them ASAP. My daily run would be around 50-70 km and on weekends would be above 100 km
  • i10 Magna (Kappa) = Price = 405970 less 13k(discount)= 392970 (Ex SR Chandigarh)
  • Swift LDI = Price = 487016 (Ex SR Chandigarh) (No discount on it and waiting period is around 3 months now).
For your usage, you can go for the Swift LDI, which would save a lot of money. Consider Tata Indica Vista too. Its VFM.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 13:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The FE of my Swift diesel is about 20 kmpl. The average running costs come to about 2 bucks a km including servicing cost and oil and filter changes every 5000km instead of the recommended 10,000 km.

The cars that you have selected are arguably the best in their respective segments and fuel options. I think its a straight call between petrol and diesel, purely depending on the number of miles you plan to crunch.
20 kmpl is in city driving conditions ? what about the build quality of swift LDI. I think the LDI has no RPM meter in it. Will i be missing it if i go for a Ldi?
Old 25th November 2008, 13:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
20 kmpl is in city driving conditions ? what about the build quality of swift LDI. I think the LDI has no RPM meter in it. Will i be missing it if i go for a Ldi?
Your running requirement suggests to go for a Diesel Hatch
You need a car ASAP (Define ASAP - 1 Month, 2 Month or 15 Days???)

If you are looking at only those two cars, you don't have a choice but to go for a Swift LDI & wait for 3 months (See if you can pull strings their)

2nd Option : You can book a Plaio - MJD (My Choice) or a Tata Vista - Quadrajet, where the waiting period is not so much, & I'm sure there wont be any regrets in any of these two
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 13:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
20 kmpl in city, but good roads. Almost Chandigarh like. All my 34k kms have been done in Delhi and NCR, save a trip to Neemrana and Yamuna Nagar.

LDI has no Tacho and no power windows. While the former is nothing to miss really, PW do make life a little more comfortable. Other features and bells and whistles like seat belt warning etc. Central locking is also missing but that can be compensated to a large extent by using an Autocop system. Wheel caps and black body pillars will not cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks.

The major disadvantage with the LDi would be no option of ABS.

Edit:
There are rattles in the car. But the combination of power and economy of the car offset this advantage in my point of view and hence I went ahead and got it.
Also, what is your definition of build quality ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-quality.html (Your definition of Build Quality)

What is your monthly running ?

PS: I have not driven or sat in an i10 and am no way recommending the Swift over it. Just giving you my opinion of the car I have experienced.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th November 2008 at 13:42.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2008, 15:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift anyday. The i10 has horrible body roll (in comparison only) and lacks that lovely turbo kick
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote