Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 6th December 2008, 20:34   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Palio MJD/ New IKON TDCi or Wait for Linea

Hi folks,

After a long search for an used Lancer(D), I decided to go for a new Diesel car. I have sorted out few cars in my wish list.
1. Fiat MJD (SDX)
2. IKON TDCi
3. Linea
4. Indica Vista Quadrajet

Out of this I test drove Palio MJD and Vista and was satisfied with Palio. I feel still there is a lot to be improved in Vista's build quality. So I dropped this from my list.

I got a quote of 5.29 L OTR Chennai for Palio and the sales person at VST motors promised me to give some goodies(a pioneer MP3 player+extra accessories) if i confirm the order.

In between i got a quote with a discount of 11.5K for new Ford Ikon TDCi and the OTR chennai comes around 5.88L.

I think both of the above cars are at the fag end of their lifespan and in near future they may be withdrawn from the production.

Now my big questions are
1> Weather i should go for any of the two cars or should I wait for Linea?
My budget is around 5L and can stretch upto 6.5 for a better car of higher segment.

2> If you advice me to go for any of these above two (Palio/Ikon), is there any possibility to get some smart discounts fro the dealer.Please advice me on these front.

3> Is my selection is wrong at all. If it is so Please advice me with some other option.

4> Please let me know the cons in going for the Palio.Many people scares me about Fiat's Service and Cost of Spares. Palio MJD owners can please provide me some info.

Thanks in advance.
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 09:34   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Hi folks,

After a long search for an used Lancer(D), I decided to go for a new Diesel car. I have sorted out few cars in my wish list.
1. Fiat MJD (SDX)
2. IKON TDCi
3. Linea
4. Indica Vista Quadrajet

Now my big questions are
My budget is around 5L and can stretch upto 6.5 for a better car of higher segment.

2> If you advice me to go for any of these above two (Palio/Ikon), is there any possibility to get some smart discounts fro the dealer.Please advice me on these front.

3> Is my selection is wrong at all. If it is so Please advice me with some other option.

4> Please let me know the cons in going for the Palio.Many people scares me about Fiat's Service and Cost of Spares. Palio MJD owners can please provide me some info.

Thanks in advance.
I'll try to answer the questions one by one:

1. The Linea, as the rumour mills go, should be costing more than 6.5L, especially for the MJD version. So it might not be in your budget. However, if you can wait a while, the launch dates are not far off and you cans see for yourself what it costs.

2. FIAT is giving MP3 + 2 front speakers free with the Palio. There was an adverstisement in the newspaper concerning this. I do not know whether the same applies in Chennai. So if you are getting a free MP3 player, it is probably in sync with the company's scheme of things. In that case, I feel you can try to bargain a little more on the discounts. Earlier, when I had asked for a quote of the 1.6 sport, i was told around 5L. Today, with the market low, the same is costing me 4.7L OTR with the free MP3 + speakers mentioned.

3. Your selections contains a hatchback and a sedan. If I may, why dont you have a look at the Getz CRDI. There are quite good reviews about it on this forum and if you can stretch your budget to 6.5L, you might get it at that price. As far as sedans go, there is also choice of the Indigo CS also. If you can wait a bit, I'm guessing the Grande Punto should be in India by early next year and it should be sporting a MJD avataar.

4. Both the cars shortlisted by you have pretty bad A.*.* reviews. Although Ford is picking up and so is the Tata-FIAT JV, you are the best judge to decide which is better in your city. Maybe some member from Chennai can shed some light on this point. The spares, according to Bangalore folk are pretty easily available for the MJD. However, rare or chronic replacements do take a while (read a month).

I hope this has helped you in some way.
Drive safe
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:07   #3
BHPian

Linea is launching very soon but would be beyond your budget. the MJD variants would start at around 8 lakhs.

if you are not interested in Vista, go for Palio MJD - it costs less, is now discounted, has a few goodies thrown in and the price of spares have been slashed recently. the problem with spares is only for the old palios (pre-Stile era).
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the Palio is good, unless you want a sedan (the Ikon is really well made). Plus many engine components shouldnt be different from Vista, so that means easier serviceability. In South India, there's decent A.S.S all over. Mail PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups for more.

Plus, all those savings will cover the "extra" spare cost several times over. And please realize you are paying for quality. Take that from a SwiftD owner. Its worth paying 1.5 times for a bumper thats un-flimsy. Just make sure you have an A.S.S with Indian parts (NOT Brazilian).
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Which segment are you looking at sedan/hatchback?
How much are you ready to spend?
How long do you keep the Car?

If you are looking to buy a hatchback - Go for Palio MJD, you can go for Swift DDiS or Indica Vista MJ.

If you are looking to buy a sedan - I'd advice you not to go for a Ford (although it's a very well built car - it's very outdated), You can wait for linea - although it's going to be around 7.25 OTR. If your per month mileage is not that much you can go for the Ford Fiesta petrol. The extra money saved on linea would help pay the difference between petrol & diesel costs for around 4 years...

Hope this helps... and I have not confused you further.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 19:58   #6
BHPian

Palio has best design. But I just asked a BOSH service center man. He still comments that Palio parts hard to procure and have big delays.

I would not mind calling one of the Fiat's authorized centers and enquiring the same.

Please do post if anyone have had good experience in procuring the parts. No delay??
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:11   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Which segment are you looking at sedan/hatchback?
How much are you ready to spend?
How long do you keep the Car?

If you are looking to buy a hatchback - Go for Palio MJD, you can go for Swift DDiS or Indica Vista MJ.

If you are looking to buy a sedan - I'd advice you not to go for a Ford (although it's a very well built car - it's very outdated), You can wait for linea - although it's going to be around 7.25 OTR. If your per month mileage is not that much you can go for the Ford Fiesta petrol. The extra money saved on linea would help pay the difference between petrol & diesel costs for around 4 years...

Hope this helps... and I have not confused you further.
+1 to sonirohit
As he has mentioned your choice is purely dependent on your criterion. If you are looking for a good hatchback the Swift DDiS with its all-round package serves the purpose. If you are looking for a sedan I would advise you to wait for the Linea. Ford Ikon TDCi has a very good engine with the peppy 1.4L DuraTorq engine with top-notch acceleration and handling. But it loses out on After Sales Service , Build Quality etc... So for a Hatchback the Swift DDiS VDi or ZDi and in the case of a sedan the Linea will definitely be worth the wait. And also do not forget ; The diesel has a huge initial investment and you will find it's value only in the long run ; So, the distance you travel per month plays a key factor.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Ford Ikon TDCi has a very good engine with the peppy 1.4L DuraTorq engine with top-notch acceleration and handling. But it loses out on After Sales Service , Build Quality etc... So for a Hatchback the Swift DDiS VDi or ZDi and in the case of a sedan the Linea will definitely be worth the wait.
I'm surprised you actually ridicule the build quality of the Ikon, but recommend the Swift. A look around the forum would be an eye-opener to anyone who think the Swift offers better build quality. Agreed one is a hatch and the other a sedan, but its the part about the 'build quality' i was referring to.

If one has a flexible budget, the choices only keep increasing. Fix a limit on that first, and then deciding becomes easier.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th December 2008 at 22:18.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Hi folks,

Now my big questions are

Thanks in advance.
1. Linea is way off your budget
2. Possibility of getting higher discounts is December/Jan, when they want to clear their 2008 stock ASAP. Jan would offer higher discounts, if any 2008 stock is carried over. So if you are fine with 2008 manufactured vehicle, you can bargain quite a lot in Jan.
3. I haven't heard of any issues with the Palio MJD owners. The retro-Palio does have issues with the spares, but the new one would come with 3 Yrs warranty.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th December 2008 at 22:23.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaush,

Unless you are joking, I don't see how you can even try comparing Ford with a Swift. Try this - take a swift on a bump at 20 kph, then an Ikon. Hear the sound inside the cabin. there is immense value in a reasonably well made car.

and sorry, I still don't trust Tata, so Ikon or MJD i'll suggest.

Most importantly, see which A.S.S within 10km of your house is decent, THEN consider the mfrs. Mfr just means you have more doors to knock on. That the idiots behind the doors are equally incompetent is the sad reality.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I'm surprised you actually ridicule the build quality of the Ikon, but recommend the Swift. A look around the forum would be an eye-opener to anyone who think the Swift offers better build quality. Agreed one is a hatch and the other a sedan, but its the part about the 'build quality' i was referring to.

If one has a flexible budget, the choices only keep increasing. Fix a limit on that first, and then deciding becomes easier.
Ikon is a well built car - but the only problem is that it's "GROSSLY OUTDATED"

If i was to buy a car right now - I'd go for a Palio MJD - it now comes 4.26 Ex Showroom delhi (something which is 60 K less than a Swift LDi, palio MJD now comes with a USB/MMC/SD card MP3 Player + 2 front speakers.
OTR MJD would come out to be a cool 70K less than DDiS, spend that 70K on Damping - to give a solid thud and upgrades like tyre upgrade, ICE and what ever is left invest in a good Mutual fund - which should cover the maintainance costs after 3rd year...
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 10:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Ikon is a well built car - but the only problem is that it's "GROSSLY OUTDATED"

If i was to buy a car right now - I'd go for a Palio MJD - it now comes 4.26 Ex Showroom delhi (something which is 60 K less than a Swift LDi, palio MJD now comes with a USB/MMC/SD card MP3 Player + 2 front speakers.
Huh? Wasnt the Palio also in the equation? Arent they both equally outdated? I dont want to comment any further.

As for the ICE options, once you have the car in your hands, it can be customised to your own priorities. I dont see one having the upper hand over the other, just coz it comes with a USB/MMC/SD card MP3 Player + 2 front speakers.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 12:05   #13
BHPian

go for the swift vdi for pure driving pleasure.. second only to, perhaps , the ikon which should be ur next choice! superb chassis, amazing mileage and a boot add up to a very interesting offer indeed....
chuck the palio, been too long in the tooth... indica vista also a good option, but it surely cannot match the proficiency of Ford and Maruti Suzuki

cheerz.
arsenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 03:26   #14
BHPian

Smile Update on Palio

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

Today the sales person from VST motors called me and said the prices have come down about 11,500 for SDX after the 4% Cenvat cut.

When I test drove a SDE I found the panel gaps at rear was quite wider (comparable to Indica). Is this normal in all Palios? I just need your view.

And the colour offered were Furnace Red, Black, Silver and Blue. I like to have sunset Orange. Is there any way of getting a car with our prefernce?
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 05:57   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Boss,

don't settle for anything less than the SDX. PM streetlife for more! You can wait aout ten odd days for your color - but sunset orange - ain't seen that on the roads! is it a color of the old palio?