Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 08:08   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default U-VA for 4.2 L. You should be crazy to not consider this...

I am not a sales man. But I wanna highlight cars which actually can be called as cars. If you are a first time buyer then take the time to read this post in full.

I know most of the first time buyers are newbies in driving. They thing that i10/santro/estillo/wagonR/Spark are THE cars for the city, and are very easy to drive. Also, you got irritated by your friends who already own a car because they don't even care to talk about these cars with interest. First thank me that I have taken the time to speak about these cars and why all those experienced drivers don't even consider them as cars.

These small cars are designed to meet the needs of a new driver. In other words, they have capitalized on the fear factor of the newbies.
- These cars don't have the Power or the torque, and hence give an extreme sense of safety to the driver
- These cars are nimble and light and have a really light steering. Which makes the newbies think that they are designed for the city
- These cars will have elevated seats with no thigh support, which puts the driver at a high position in the car hence giving a clear visibility of the road at all angles.
- Offer excellent mileage and good space for its size. (side effect of the above three points)
- These cars have small tyres, and have sharp turning radius which offers Zip driving. The newbie things that Zip driving is superb. But don't understand that its the instability, i.e the Roll of the car which seems like Zip driving.

Basically, the above factors give a sense of easiness to the driver.

But wait, you will definitely wont be happy after few years of driving that car. You will think again why you dint go for those bigger cars which where offered at great prices.

Consider Getz/U-VA/Palio stile. Ask any owner or experienced driver. He will say that these cars are perfectly engineered cars taking care in all aspects of comfort, stability, power and safety. Basically, these are called Cars.

Of course, as a newbie you wont feel the ease in driving these cars initially.
But as you grow and let your fear go away, you will be happy that you made the right choice.

Hope this post highlighted some valuable points. And please drive slowly when you are in a new car. Its tough to drive slow, but easy to drive fast.

Last edited by ritz830 : 21st December 2008 at 08:14.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 08:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,680
Thanked: 1,423 Times
Default

hello!

Is this a wikipedia page for 'What are called cars? '

Whats the thread title got to do with the rest?
jkdas is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 09:05   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Talking Thank you!

You really have a chip on your shoulder against small cars dont you?
If you like the Palio, the U VA etc- then say so, by all means, but, that is no reason to run down all the cars in the segment that is smaller.

Since you are so enamoured by the performance of the U VA- may I ask, what are the performance figures for it? Are they significantly better than the smaller hatchbacks that you so callously derided for being "newbie cars"

Source-http://www.cardekho.com/
The UVA takes a lethargic 16.2 secs to the ton
Has tiny 13 inch wheels just like the wagon R which is quicker to the 100 by a full 2 secs.

The getz takes 14.6 secs to the ton
also has tiny 13 inchers

The Palio 1.1 stile takes a 20.1 sec eternity to get to 100
also has 13 inch wheels
Source-http://www.cardekho.com/

I think the puny 800cc alto is quicker to the 100 than this poor cousin of the mighty GTX. The older model 1.1 alto would run rings around all these so called "real cars" with more "power"


BTW a small turning radius , light steering, good visibility, high seating position etc are all features that sensible persons choose when buying a city car.
Mileage- most of us like paying less at the petrol pump.

what would be your criteria?
Let me guess
large turning circle-making you take 3 point turns on 4 lane roads
heavy steering-to make your arms as powerful as your powerful car?
low seating position and poor visibility - because ignorance is bliss?
what you cant see, obviously cant hurt you!
Low mileage- Makes you feel you're driving a big thirsty, "powerful" car

Both the Getz and UVA roll like all other cars you have made fun of, if not more. The Palio-is a class apart in suspension setup, agreed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
I am not a sales man.
I'll take your word for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
First thank me that I have taken the time to speak about these cars and why all those experienced drivers don't even consider them as cars.
Thank you, O great and experienced one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Basically, the above factors give a sense of easiness to the driver.
I was so stupid! Why did I want a car that lets me have a sense of ease and comfort after a hard day at work? I should go for a "CAR" that is a real "CAR"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Basically, these are called Cars.
What an absolute Pearl of wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Hope this post highlighted some valuable points.
Yes it has! It definitely has!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Its tough to drive slow, but easy to drive fast.
Another gem !

Last edited by rippergeo : 21st December 2008 at 09:07.
rippergeo is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 09:29   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Really, The 0-100 doesnt matter man, it matters only when you do a drag race without any traffic. Torque should be available at the right speed.

Its like comparing Toys VS Cars.

Have you test driven the U-VA/Gets/Palio? compare that with any of those toy cars. Then you would not hesitate to be as confident as I am.

Trust me or not. If you are a newbie, Your second car will not be one of these toy cars. Especially, when you are not buying a car having in mind that your kid(or another newbie) will also be driving it, or you use the car for >5km trip.

The future will be ruled by total highway driving. You need a Car to do that job.

Last edited by ritz830 : 21st December 2008 at 09:44.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 09:38   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,079
Thanked: 2,036 Times
Default

buddy, different people have different needs with their car. they choose the car not on its size but on how the car suits them and fulfills these needs.
once a man drives a uva/palio for 2-3 months, he totally gets used to the car and will be at ease even in dense traffic, its all the matter of getting used to the vehicle.
there may be some who need these compact cars for easy parking, elevated seating for easy of entry/exit and much more reasons.
i feel its nothing to do with 'what is a car'....
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 09:50   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
buddy, different people have different needs with their car. they choose the car not on its size but on how the car suits them and fulfills these needs.
once a man drives a uva/palio for 2-3 months, he totally gets used to the car and will be at ease even in dense traffic, its all the matter of getting used to the vehicle.
there may be some who need these compact cars for easy parking, elevated seating for easy of entry/exit and much more reasons.
i feel its nothing to do with 'what is a car'....
I understand about the Ease of Parking and elevated seats for Elderly people. Obviously, these are reasons which a newbie gives when he is not good at driving or parallel parking. Dude, all I am saying is that your fear of driving should not hamper your decision.

And, U-VA/Getz/Palio really dont have that low seats which Esteem or Accent have. These are Global cars, and are engineered considering all the people and their needs. The H-point , seating position is perfected in these cars.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,079
Thanked: 2,036 Times
Default

buddy, what you are saying is right. but thats what even i said, its not necessary that a person who buys a santro or wagonR is not good at driving. i have been driving since 11 years but i will still prefer an i10 in that class, not a uva or palio. its not because i am afraid to park it (i park a scorpio daily!), its just that these vehicles appeal more to me.
in city, more than seating comfort and engineering, what you need the most is 'convenience', that the cars like alto, i10 and santro offer in plenty.
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:01   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,056
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Why you want to stop at U-VA/Getz/Palio ? Look further man.
IMO The real cars are Civic, Laura, Jetta, Superb, Accord etc. Basically, these are called Cars.
Anyone not driving one of those is not driving a "CAR" and is an "inexperienced driver".

Last edited by DCEite : 21st December 2008 at 10:03.
DCEite is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:04   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
buddy, what you are saying is right. but thats what even i said, its not necessary that a person who buys a santro or wagonR is not good at driving. i have been driving since 11 years but i will still prefer an i10 in that class, not a uva or palio. its not because i am afraid to park it (i park a scorpio daily!), its just that these vehicles appeal more to me.
in city, more than seating comfort and engineering, what you need the most is 'convenience', that the cars like alto, i10 and santro offer in plenty.
Dude, that is the reason I said they are toys. Toys are called toys because people love to play with it. Think about 10 years from now.

In the past 5 years my whole driving experience has changed.
- New super fast highways
- Lots of one-way to ease traffic

In a span of 10 years from now, you will find everyone driving at fast speeds and minimum traffic jams.

Look at A-star, its lot more like a car and built for the future. It offers good driving position, smooth ride and noise damping.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:04   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,473
Thanked: 14,528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Have you test driven the U-VA/Gets/Palio? compare that with any of those toy cars. Then you would not hesitate to be as confident as I am.
I have driven anywhere between 50-100 different ca.. I mean automobiles. But I haven't driven U-VA/GetZ/Palio yet. What does that mean, I don't know, I am lost for words...
Samurai is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:09   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Why you want to stop at U-VA/Getz/Palio ? Look further man.
IMO The real cars are Civic, Laura, Jetta, Superb, Accord etc. Basically, these are called Cars.
Anyone not driving one of those is not driving a "CAR" and is an "inexperienced driver".
Lol, dont over emphasis please

U-VA, Getz, Palio are global cars. They are globally accepted to be good in city and heavy traffic.

I just wanted to point out that these are good cars which offer much better VFM than those very small cars. For a few thousand more you get to feel the actual thing. Please don't get offended by my extreme confidence on this topic. Afterall, there is a reason for it.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:10   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have driven anywhere between 50-100 different ca.. I mean automobiles. But I haven't driven U-VA/GetZ/Palio yet. What does that mean, I don't know, I am lost for words...
These small cars(uva,gets,palio and ofcourse the swift) offer great VFM than the very small cars
ritz830 is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:21   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,473
Thanked: 14,528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
These small cars(uva,gets,palio and ofcourse the swift) offer great VFM than the very small cars
You mean UV-A/Getz/Palio offer more VFM than 800/Alto/Santro. Sorry boss, I think I am simply losing the plot here. It is like watching the movie "No Smoking".
Samurai is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is like watching the movie "No Smoking".
Or maybe new movie - "smoking"
normally_crazy is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 10:26   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 1,244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post

I know most of the first time buyers are newbies in driving. They thing that i10/santro/estillo/wagonR/Spark are THE cars for the city, and are very easy to drive. Also, you got irritated by your friends who already own a car because they don't even care to talk about these cars with interest. First thank me that I have taken the time to speak about these cars and why all those experienced drivers don't even consider them as cars.
That's so not true

Is this like going up the toughness level in a PS2 Game or what? The more experienced the driver is, the more powerful (or big or whatever) his car should be?

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your post but this is what I have gathered from some 1st time car driver-owner friends of mine,

* Yes, they want to buy a hatchback to start with due to ease of driving and parking
* Don't want to buy a new sedan, coz they are not confident of driving them with ease in city
* Buy a second hand sedan @ new hatchback prices. They don't seem to mind a few dents they might make in a used car

Mind you am using the word HATCHBACK here, which is from M800 to Fabia. Whether it's a A or B segment car is mostly dependant on the budget I feel.

PS: And what is this talk about experienced drivers? I guess a decent percentage of them would have started to drive in their dad/friends/cousins M800, Santro, alto etc.

Last edited by kiku007 : 21st December 2008 at 10:31.
kiku007 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should we consider Acceleration to Braking ratio seriously? Shan2nu Technical Stuff 9 12th September 2009 17:12
Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India? sabret00the The Indian Car Scene 31 28th July 2008 15:23
Whom do you consider greatest automobile manufacturer? sbasak The International Automotive Scene 34 27th February 2006 13:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks