Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 21st January 2009, 08:32   #31

Congratulations Sam_Boy on buying i10 1.2. How much did it cost OTR?
samdsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 10:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdsouza View Post
Congratulations Sam_Boy on buying i10 1.2. How much did it cost OTR?
Thanks a lot. Mine is a sportz version and in Bangalore OTR price is 4.65 Lacs.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 00:45   #33
BHPian

Congrats.

Do update us the experience with the car & FE.

will help many prospective buyers of 1.2!
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 11:09   #34
BHPian

Default Power delivery of kappa

I have a kappa magna with 5800kms on odo, second service (six months) due this month.

I would like to comment on the power delivery of kappa.

the engine might feel sluggish below 12-1500 rpm, but the fun begins after 2500 rpm, the car leaps forward with no tension to the engine. you can feel the pull on the entire power band. means the engine pulls madly till the rev limiter comes into play, I have done around 63-6400 rpm in second gear, Imagine 90 in second gear, wow. and you wont even feel a thing like strain or over noise from the engine. I tried to do same for the third gear but could not make out the top speed etc as I ran out of road but I am confident that it would be around 125-130 kph.

the power delivery is very linear and rev limiter plays its role to the fullest. The power doesn't fade slowly as you approach higher rpms as in other cars. After 6400 rpm you will feel as if the gas pedal has been released.

I know this is madness to pull a car like this but the engine is so engaging, I can't help it.
mishraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 11:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Congrats.

Do update us the experience with the car & FE.

will help many prospective buyers of 1.2!
Sorry .. Did not follow this thread for some time.

I have clocked 1600 Kms and will write my experience after 2K kms. Well my FE is 13 till date and I use Shell Unleaded Petrol. I expected around 15 but I stay in Bangalore and mostly commute in City traffic so cant ask for more.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 08:47   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hey all,

Have been following all the suggestions given by everybody, and yes we did go for the test drive of the Kappa. Liked it too, and so did she.

@DCEite: However, since most part of the money would come from the lady's father, we have decided to scale down the segment a bit and look at the Santro instead. I know the cons of buuying the Santro (old engine, about to be phased out etc etc), but then if theres anything in that price segment to be considered, it is the Santro or the Wagon R. Amongst the 2, in my books , the Santro wins, though not by a huge margin.

Thats the update from my side.

i10 seems to be out of reckoning for no :(
Since your FIL is financing the car it was kind of you to scale down. But why don't you just let him put in Santro money and you add to that and go in for the i10. I would suggest the 1.1 IRDE since money is a constraint. The Kappa is better but not that great. You can still live with the IRDE.
Nice to know that your lady is from Goa. Driving in Goa is not neccesarily easier in Goa compared to Bangy. The style is different. Average speeds in Goa tend to be higher than Cities because of the relitively open roads. But there are other hazards in Goa which may be non-existant in Bangy and other cities.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 11:02   #37
BHPian

Just reviving this thread as I am pretty aghast and shocked. I am an occasional i10 Kappa sports user which has done about 10k in 1 year. I had a chance to extensively drive i10 1.1 in Delhi for two days recently.

I am pretty bugged that I seem to be downshifting Kappa in city traffic all the while to get a move on in start-stop traffic, however 1.1 engine just seems to cruise through in 3rd gear/2nd gear.

Does anyone have torque & bhp curves of both engines and gear ratios of these cars. I am getting convinced that if your usage is 80% city, its best to go for 1.1 litre time tested santro engine...
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:41   #38
BHPian

Hi Arindam,
Kappa 1.2 is always better engine. Secondly both Hyundai dealers you have mentioned are good. You may better vist both the dealers and try to have a good deal on your car before you buy. See what the dealer offers on discounts, freebies like audio systems(if aftermarket), sunfilms etc. Prefer to choose a dealer near to your residence or office. Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa altogether is a good choice.

Regards,
Yogesh
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 16:39   #39
BHPian

Just have a doubt. Is the 1.2 Kappa as refined as the 1.1 irde.?
Asking this since 1.2 kappa is a relatively new engine with no minor or major modifications after launch.
Got this doubt as my dad was one of the earliest buyers of the 1.1 irde or Epsilon engine when Santro was launched. From day one it wasn't refined or smooth or whatever though it had a good response to the pedal.
Then came a slight modification with Santro Zip and then the Santro Xing with an eRLX( slightly modified same engine). This engine was far better in terms of refinement though it was essentialy the same engine.
So have a doubt whether the new 1.2 kappa is as refined and smooth as 1.1 IRde or we have to wait for a newer version of Kappa from Hyundai ?
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 17:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

1.2 is very smooth. Good refinement - no vibrations or so. A very good engine, if you dont care too much into mileage
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:26   #41
BHPian

I regularly drive both i10s - my iRDE and a friend's kappa.

I have to say that the kappa engine is much more refined and rev happy compared to the iRDE. But I find the kappa engine to be noisier. Can't call it noisy exactly, it has a nice growl (which I really love).

iRDE engine is good enough for city speeds, but at higher speeds kappa is the undisputed champion. Overtaking is a breeze, and there is hardly any power lost even with AC on in the kappa engine. In the iRDE engine, you can feel a dip in the engine power when AC is switched on.

I don't find a major difference in the driveability. Yes you need to downshift when reducing speed, but the gearbox is so butter smooth that you won't mind changing gears.

One major difference is in the power delivery. The i10 kappa just leaps forward when the clutch is released. You need to release the clutch really slowly even in 2nd and 3rd gears, otherwise it gives a forward jerk. In the iRDE, I don't have to maintain such clutch control in gears other than 1st.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:23   #42
BHPian

Kapaaa !! Its new engine with good value. Mileage will be as per your driving skills. so I recommend Kaapa over the older irde engine.
thelightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:40   #43
mkh
Senior - BHPian

I do not think anyone on this thread is looking for a comparison between the two, but for future buyers
I drove the 1.1 and 1.2 before buying and it was an extensive drive( as my friend bought the 1.1)
The 1.1 is clearly ENOUGH for the bangalore traffic and is in fact as fuel efficient and even more( by say 1-2 km/liter)
However from the outside, the 1.1 makes a growling sound, that i totally absent in the 1.2
The 1.2 is a much more refined engine, very smooth in acceleration from 2000RPM above and literally rockets the car forward after 40Km/Hr to about 80 with ease.
As for mileage, i am getting 11-12, my wife is a new driver and we use the AC almost all the time now. I think with an experienced driver it will pull to 13 at the most.
Even after that one can see that the car begs for more, i did not get a chance for a free run but on the outer ring road i have gone to 80-100 and with ease.
For people who are looking at occasional highway runs, its a no brainer to buy the 1.2. Even for people who are in place like delhi( where my dad bought one) where 60-80 speeds are possible, its the 1.2. They get a mileage of 13 with AC easily.
But for places like bangalore, if you are running in city only, its the 1.1 which will serve the purpose. Also note, the re-sale of the 1.2 will be higher, as most of us are not so tech savvy and just go by the face value and 1.2 is a better and more contemporary engine in all eyes hence will fetch a higher value
My buying decision was 1.2 because there was very little difference in the 1.1 and 1.2 cost for me- about 35K and its worth paying that much more for a more powerful engine and better technology.

Last edited by mkh : 21st April 2010 at 11:50.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote