Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 28th January 2009, 12:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

My swift has not yet rusted and its 4 years old n in Chennai too...
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 12:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a relief.

I should post some pics so you can see how mine is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 13:36   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

These aren't really problems, not enough atleast to warrant a change of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
1. As all of the world knows, it rattles badly. Numerous trips to service station and they manage to fix it temporarily.
Most Japanese cars will rattle on our roads (as does my OHC Vtec). I agree that build quality is an issue, but just turn up the stereos volume for heavens sake! Or visit a professional shop to get damping material installed. There are ways to remove rattles.

Quote:
2. Power steering not good enough and lack 'feeling'. I am sure I would have loved hydraulic power assist.
I personally think the Swift has a decent steering.

Quote:
3. Suspension noise ...seems so much hard and noisy
Agreed. But it is that very suspension which gives the Swift its enthusiast-oriented handling. Try softer rubber and deflating the air pressure by 2 PSI in the city. May help with the ride quality.

Quote:
4. My swift has a 'mood'. Suddenly she will be so silent and refined on a particular day and will continue to be so for a couple of days. But again it gets back to normal 'sound' machine..
Obviously, you need to get her checked up. This isn't an inherent problem with Swifts.

Quote:
I am kind of person who likes absolutely silent car. So I am going for FIAT which I believe build strong cars
The Palio doesn't score very well on the NVH factor. Plus, Fiats come with their own set of niggling problems and will never match Japanese long-term reliability. That said, the Linea is a nice sedan though certainly not an enthusiast machine (due to the engines limited power).

My point is : Run an extensive evaluation before changing your car. These problems are hardly significant enough.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 13:59   #34
BHPian

Guys, I think the Getz is a well built car. My car has done 27,000 Km in the last 3 years and there are absolutely NO rattles at all. The shock absorbers still make the 'squish' sound when going over uneven surfaces.

The negative is that one can feel small shocks that are transmitted to the steering wheel while going over rough patches. And the other issue is car being sluggish at low RPMs even though its powered by a 1.3 L engine.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 14:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These aren't really problems, not enough atleast to warrant a change of car.
My point is : Run an extensive evaluation before changing your car. These problems are hardly significant enough.
I agree with GTO.

All said and done, I guess you are trying hard to convince yourself to sell off the Swift. Maybe you should try to address the issues rather than blaming everything on the car
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 11:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Don't post hearsays... post only if you have an experience!
I am not posting any hearsays my friend. Everyone has his own story to tell and his own experience.

I have driven the Swift extensively for over 5000 kms. I do have a fair idea of what it's FE is ( when I used to top up )

This of course does not doubt the FE you are getting. I also know a lot of people who swear by their Swift's FE.

But on the other hand I also happen to know a few swift's which fair badly on the mileage part.

Cheers !
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 12:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
But on the other hand I also happen to know a few swift's which fair badly on the mileage part!
1st of all "badly" is a highly subjective term. For someone who's upgraded from a Alto/800, an FE of 11/12 is very bad. Likewise say for an Accord owner, he'd definitely swear by it.

Also FE depends on a lot of factors - driving style, traffic conditions, temperature, presence of sunfilms.. etc etc. Add to it - Bad maintenance.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Hi, in concern with the earlier post, if you are fed up with the numerous trips to Service stations, dont gor for Fiat also, it will eventually add up with further frustration.

Rather go for a New Honda & have peace of mind for years after (you will remember me for this!)

Or at max, go for a Hundai Hatch / Verna (D) for the same.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 15:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Hi, in concern with the earlier post, if you are fed up with the numerous trips to Service stations, dont gor for Fiat also, it will eventually add up with further frustration.
What made you say so?

Fiat's problem is not with number of trips to service station, it's more of what you get after getting back car from service station. There are so many Fiat owners (including yours truely), who don't visit the service station apart from regular servicing.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 16:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
27,000 kms and 2 years in May 09, am happy with my swift! Rattles were well taken care at last service and holding good for last 2k kms. Front suspension bushes i suspect is at the end of its life, thanks to my kind of brutal driving (read as full flat out driving through craters), but a change of strut bush kit should bring her back to her prime, which will be done in 30k service. No part has fallen off till date, apart from few mud guard trim clips, surprisingly they also seem to stay in place since 20k kms LOL.

Everytime i take her out on a nice long trip, she brings a big grin on my face

So i am 98% satisfied with the car!
Hi Jaggu, i was wondering how you came up realizing the issue is strut bushings? Are you referring to the upper strut mount bushing?

Well, i have clunk sound from the front over rough roads, and I am unable to find out the cause. It could be the Stabilizer Bar also.

So once you find out the fix let me know through PM, I just got back from the workshop after i had asked them to replace the strut mount bushing (which is inclusive of some kind of bearing also) as it was also my guess that the problem is with bushings as the sound seems to be coming from area close to the bonnet and behind the dash. It turns out they did not replace the bushing , because they said they were fine as they pulled the strut out. They say it is likely the Stabliser bar.

Well for now i brought the car back, will see what to do. I have 16,000KM.

Last edited by aerohit : 7th February 2009 at 16:06.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 18:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
What made you say so?

Fiat's problem is not with number of trips to service station, it's more of what you get after getting back car from service station. There are so many Fiat owners (including yours truely), who don't visit the service station apart from regular servicing.

well i said because i know many persons who had a bad experience with Fiat *** (even in THB also there are so many threads on it).

in Maruti also, there are small niggling issues & bith can not come even closer to Honda's solid build quality & Problem free peace of mind driving for yrs to come.

So, if a person is already suffering, well Honda is the only way out (may be Toyota in higher segment!)
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote