Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 23rd February 2009, 09:33   #1
BHPian

Question Palio Diesel 1.9 Used?

One of my friend is intrested in buying a Used Palio.I have seen a vehicle along with my friend on Saturday.

Vehicle Details: 2003 Model Black Clolor,53000 KM driven,New Tyres Direct Owner.

Exterior: Looks Good except gap at Bonnet and front bumber (Owner said Flower pot was fallen on the bonnet and the front mirror also replaced)

Interior: Maintained well

Engine & Drive: The test drive was good.I noticed that A/C is not effective.

Now I need your suggestons:

What should i check before going for the vehicle like the major service needs @ 55000 KM

What are the general Problems occur in Palio Diesel????

Is it a good bet at 1.9 Lakhs @ hyderabad??

Can i go for this vehicle keeping in mind the worst service of Palio??

Maintenance cost and Spare parts Availability??

We are planning to close the deal by to day.Please give your expert advices ASAP.
manne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:01   #2
BHPian

1. Ask the owner if the fuel pump has been recaliberated or not as the pump would need this post 50K kms.This would set you back by 8to 20K depending on the work that needs to done on the sensors of the pump.

2. Check for uneven wear of tyres..if visible then the suspension might need an overhaul.

3. 1.9D Palio has a very strong engine and is a very capable car.

4. Service is available at Concord and Malik cars in Hyderabad, however some parts may not be available off the shelf.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:11   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

have a look at gary.brant's and rohitgaur's threads on the palio 1.9D used car ownership.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ed-my-car.html (I loved and hated my car)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...d-history.html (The Yellow WASP 1.9D is history)

it is not a trouble free car, maybe if Fiat support was good, it would have been recommended. but....
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:44   #4
BHPian

The Palio 1.9D is a very robust and capable car. We own one since the time it was launched (its an August '03 ELX) and it has served us very well. As I've lived with it for so long, here are a few points that require concern:

1) Though the mechanicals are sound, some of the common problems are Fuel Pump failure and a/c gas leakage. The former occurs due to poor quality diesel, usually at pumps outside city limits. Replacement is an expensive affair.
The aircon gas has to travel through many bends which are prone to crack over time. Your local car a/c guy can take care of it.

2) We have had serious issues with our Fiat dealer re: poor sales and service. Keep in mind that there is no relief even after Tata have taken over. They would only service those cars that have been sold by them. That's what we were told. We get our car serviced at our local workshop.

3) The consumable parts are easily available, no issues with oil and diesel filters, lamps, fan-belts, mirrors etc. Engine and suspension parts are also readily available.

4) The excellent torque available makes this a very city-traffic friendly car. You can virtually be in any gear without needing to change frequently. But one of the biggest drawbacks is the huge turning circle, making it a pain for U-turns in congested areas.

5) Decently maintained cars return good fuel economy. Ours gives us a comfortable 12-13 kmpl. It is usually driver-driven in city areas only with full-time aircon. But owner-driven cars with some highway run as well should return 15 kmpl plus.

6) 1.9L is a pretty good price for the car if its maintained well. I've seen nice examples go for as high as 3L.

cheers and good luck for your purchase,

Vikas
LOVE HER(ALD)! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend you stay away from Palio Diesels because of huge maintenance costs involved and because of Fiat's bad A.S.S !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 13:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mithun, did/do you own a Palio D?
OR just making some baseless comments here?

Last edited by finneyp : 23rd February 2009 at 13:54.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Mithun, did/do you own a Palio D?
OR just making some baseless comments here?
@finney- Did you, or do you own a Palio D?

There's no need to allege that a fellow member is making baseless comments.
There are 2 links in my post that inform anyone who wishes to know, the risks of owning a Palio D.
Both of them were Palio Downers. Care to attack them for making "baseless comments"?

The thread starter need to be aware of the shortcomings of a car and a company before he buys it. He asked for opinions, he got it. What he wishes to do with the advice is upto him, but attacking anyone who dares speak a word against the "F***" brand, that is uncalled for.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@finney- Did you, or do you own a Palio D?

There's no need to allege that a fellow member is making baseless comments.
There are 2 links in my post that inform anyone who wishes to know, the risks of owning a Palio D.
Both of them were Palio Downers. Care to attack them for making "baseless comments"?

The thread starter need to be aware of the shortcomings of a car and a company before he buys it. He asked for opinions, he got it. What he wishes to do with the advice is upto him, but attacking anyone who dares speak a word against the "F***" brand, that is uncalled for.
What is wrong with that question.

Unless or until someone has been closely linked with a product. How can he have an opinion about its working and issues.

I can always say car X looks good or bad.
As I can see it.

But how can I comment on its upkeep unless I have owned it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, Us tata owners are qualified to comment, since its the same A.S.S whom we are complaining about. I know how bad it gets for us. Can only imagine how worse it can get for a non tata customer there
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:29   #10

@bblost- there is absolutely nothing wrong with that question, which is why I posed the same question to it's originator. Maybe I'll get a good answer from him.

My contention is that the comments are not baseless. Refer to the 2 links in my first post. I dont think its fair to expect either rohitgaur or gary to turn up in every palio D enquiry and warn potential victims. The info is already on the forum. I just passed it on.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

+1.

If someone has made a judgment based on the info available on the forum, he is very right in commenting.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
+1.

If someone has made a judgment based on the info available on the forum, he is very right in commenting.
Lets stick to the thread and help out Manne ....

@Manne: Check for the price .. If you get a real deal and feel good inside the car.. go for it ... With every used car these kind of issues will pop up. So take a good mechanic with you and check if you need to spend something on the car.

Follow your heart. Thats the shortcut.
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I seem to have read both the threads mentioned here and yes, they are full of problems.

All the Palio D owners I have met in real life (and almost all of them are close to 1 lakh kms of ownership, some at 2 lakhs) have reported issues with FIP recalibration. Apart from this, not much.

I think at 53k kms, expect some repairs ahead (AC issues, FIP issues and maybe suspension issues.) Get the electricals (esp alternator, battery etc) checked thoroughly to know any other surprises in store.

By Delhi prices, you would get that car at about 1.5 lakhs, I think, as petrol 1.2s of the same vintage go for 1 lakh -1.25 lakh. Assuming some expenses you get a good car for less than 2 lakhs with good FE and diesel economy.

That apart, it's the usual Palio, love it, or hate the A.S.S.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

FIP recalibration is a FACT.

Secondly, there was a nice gent off PUG - who was selling his 1.9D - immaculate and all that, but he had spent some 2.5Lakh in maintaining his car in the 70k km he had driven it. I should know - because I was going to buy it

But then, if a car needs 2.5L of TLC, I wouldn't buy it.

Then again, i've heard of Palio D that have done 2L km just like that. My only point - be very very careful.

PS; speak to the padosis and they can tell if the car has ever stood at home for a month - if so, avoid it
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:13   #15
BHPian

The Best thing would be a Palio D owner himself providing a good feedback on the ownership experience!

Manne, my suggestion would be note these comments and also search the forums for issues related to Palio D. You will get plenty of info both the goods n the bad ones!

I'm surprised to see only 1 user that too a Newbie a owner of Palio D has put a unbiased feedback!

Waiting to see more...

Good luck on your buy...and let us know what you decided.

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote