Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th March 2009, 00:12   #1
BHPian

Default Going in for a Vista Quadrajet. EDIT: Bought & 2.5k-km done!

Hi everyone,
After much deliberations (and a lot of help from Team BHP) i have finally decided that I am going to go for Indica Vista. Though I have driven other small hatches for the last decade or so, this is going to be my first own car.
Swift Vdi and Vista quadrajet were the main considerations for me as I travel more than 1500 Km a month. Vista appealed more to me since its a better value for money car.
Ok. The plan is to get Aura quadrajet cavern grey which should be with me by monday.
Never having had a Tata car as also a diesel, I just wanted to be sure that I do everything right. I did go through the Buying a new car section as well the tips about running in etc.
My problem though is that I am in Delhi and I am going to get the car from Punjab. The distance would approximately be 400 km. Since the highway is nice, usually I would drive fast. But having gone through the running in thread I dont know what kind of driving should I follow, how many breaks should I take, when should I change the oil etc.
Apart from that what other precautions should I take while I venture into the world of diesel engines? Also anything special/ different with Tata cars?

PS: Mods if you feel this is the wrong section to post; kindly move this thread to the appropriate place. Thanks.
travelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 08:34   #2
BHPian

Where in Punjab are you buying this car from? Please do post detailed break down of OTR price as I am also considering buying Vista Quadrajet. Are you getting any discounts or freebies from the dealer?

Last edited by Navneet : 14th March 2009 at 08:50. Reason: Spellings
Navneet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 08:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

COngrats. Though the manufacturers mntion that there is no need to run in your car its always better to maintain around 60-70 max speeds during the first few thousand kilometers. This is for all the mechanical parts to run in properly and to avoid excessive wear and tear. Also make sure that you dont stick to one particular speed for long durations while taking the highways. Keep increasing and reducing speed once in a while to enure different engine speeds.

The Vista is surely good value for money. But why are you buying it from panjab.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 09:01   #4
BHPian

I am buying the car from Cargo Motors, Hoshiarpur.
I havent had a talk personally with the dealer, hence I can only give a rough estimate. The rough breakup given to me is
Ex showroom price - 475000
Registration - 9500
I am getting a discount of 1800 or so on insurance.
The dealer is giving me mats and a couple of other things.
Will detail everything tomorrow or day after, once I have the car and the invoice with me.
Old 14th March 2009, 09:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
But why are you buying it from panjab.
For one, my permanent address is in Punjab and whenever I plan to sell the car, it would be there only, so a Punjab registration number would help.
However a more immediate and important reason is the difference in Registration costs which amounts to 12-13k.
So even if I deduct the difference in cost as well as the one way fuel costs to Delhi, I still save a sizeable amount of money. The only concern for me is that the run in process should not suffer.
Old 14th March 2009, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think it would be nice if you did not rev the engine too much. speeds are okay, but keep an eye on the tacho. Keep it below 2k during run in, and in case you are going to exceed it , ensure that the engine is at running temperature ( towards the middle) and is not too cold. And avoid sustained running at revs close to or above 200o RPM. At least this was what you did for the TDI. not sure about the quadrajet.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 11:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
I am buying the car from Cargo Motors, Hoshiarpur.
I havent had a talk personally with the dealer, hence I can only give a rough estimate. The rough breakup given to me is
Ex showroom price - 475000
Registration - 9500
I am getting a discount of 1800 or so on insurance.
The dealer is giving me mats and a couple of other things.
Will detail everything tomorrow or day after, once I have the car and the invoice with me.
In today's Chandigarh Tribune (Page 19), there is an ad by TATA dealers about 10K Exchange/loyalty Bonus on Tata Indica Vista. Cargo Motors, Hoshiarpur is also one of the dealers listed in the ad. See if u can avail this discount.

Please keep us updated on your purchase. All the best.
Navneet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 12:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

oh nonsense. My car has had no difference prior or post running in.

I've still stuck to the 2500 RPM barrier - in run in - i used to max out at 2400 rpm.

Don't go by the limiting belief. 2000 RPM barely engages the turbo - its there for a reason - to be used.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 15:15   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My favorite diesel hatch! Congrats. Do update us with a detailed ownership report once she is delivered!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal! Nice choice!

Enjoy the ride! Do post your intial impressions after you get the car.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 23:32   #11
BHPian

in software people say we need a couple of releases to have stabler product, hold good in auto industry too i guess !! )
this new vista looks neat and very much VFM. i really like the looks, seems like the fiat punto.

do post the photos.
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 23:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

not to scare you right now , but go through the
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-problems.html (Indica Vista - list of Known problems)
and add the list of issues people have faced there to your PDI list
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Good luck!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 07:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
not to scare you right now

You may get a more VFM car right now, but in the long run a SWIFT VDi or LDi may be a better choice.

Presently the LDi ex-showroom price in Delhi is 4,67,000/- and the VDi is around 5 Lakhs.
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 08:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
travelex : .. But having gone through the running in thread I dont know what kind of driving should I follow, how many breaks should I take,
gemithomas : Though the manufacturers mntion that there is no need to run in your car its always better to maintain around 60-70 max speeds during the first few thousand kilometers.
@Travelex & @Gemi : Check your owners manuals for running information : They ask you to vary the speeds during the running in period. Speed here will mean engine speeds, not vehicle speeds. This gives the engine a chance to work a different speeds.

What you can do to achieve this is to drive in 4th & 5th at the higher speeds, alternatively.

@Travelex, suggest you take breaks about every hour during this trip.

Reg oil changes - just follow the service schedules, and you should be good.

Oh, Congrats. Wishing you a long, happy & trouble-free ownership of this car.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 09:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

In my ikon's owner manual, it was also mentioned not to exert the car to heavy braking during the initial 1000kms. I suppose it would hold true for other cars as well.

All the best with your purchase decision. In the brief chance i had to check out the Vista in the showroom, Tata has made great leaps and bounds in terms of their quality of interiors.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote