Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2005, 14:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Abhay, i would suggest indigo above indica as the price difference is around 50K and you get a better engine with better ride and silence.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

I do not want to go for diesel variant as I really want the smothness in driving ( that's reason I was waiting for a second good HONDA, but in vain)

Based on the threads I am getting idea's on pros and cons.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
How are the chennai roads.

The road I used to travel is very good one & recently laid.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:26   #19
BHPian

I don't understand why you are even thinking about zens and santros, with the swift getting launched in a couple of weeks time..

The swift matches all the criteria that you've mentioned below and will give you a dashing image as well..

Cheers,
Manish.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:50   #20
BHPian

man23ish - his 1st criterion is price less than 4L...dont think the Swift comes under that or the fuel economy thingie either.

tsk, same again....the price of Indigo is too far above the budget...

surprise, Zen or Santro both are good for your requirements as is the wagonR ...now it depends which you personally like more...I recommended Indica (P) not since I own one..but its a nice little car for the money altho it wont beat the others on the economy thing..but its spacious, stable, and has enough power.

ps: sorry I had not read tsk's post on page1..Swift less than 4L at launch ?

Last edited by Abhay : 12th May 2005 at 14:52.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Its a simple one. First of all, forget Santro but only if you dont ever want to cross 80kmph in your life. WagonR is a better bet, feels in control and ready for more even at 120kmph+ . You can revv it harder than santro, and it does respond!

For outright performance under 4 lacs, Zen - no match here.

Otherwise, wait for the Swift.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th May 2005 at 14:53.
Old 12th May 2005, 14:51   #22
BHPian

I guess after reading all the points, you would have a better idea about what to go in for, and your original list of requirements would have changed. Why don't you put your new set of requirements again after some thinking?

To answer your original set of requirements:

1. Budget Ex-Showroom price is below Rs.4 L: Alto, Zen, WagonR, Indica, Santro, Palio(?)
2. Wants to hold the car for atleast 5 yrs: all are good enuf
3. Average driving per day would be 35 kms ( single hand): Snatro and Indica would be best over bad roads ... marutis tend to let a lot of noise come in
4. Good FE & Low maintenance: Zen and Alto lead in FE. Dunno about Indica. Indica has higher maintenance amongst these
5. Driving smothness: Tricky Q. for city, Santro, for highways Zen or Wagon R. For handling, Zen, for ergonomics, Maruti.
6. Looks & Ownership pride: Looks-wise Alto, Zen, Indica. Santro and W-R are no competition. Ownership pride I think all are more or less equal except Tata cars which suffer from the brand image of Tata and Diesel engines.

BTW, what factors contribute to Owner's pride?

Best car to learn driving: second hand Fiat/Ambassador. bang it anywhere, and once you have mastered these cars, you can drive anything. Plus they are cheaper to buy as well.

Hope this helps.
Simran

Last edited by simran : 12th May 2005 at 14:58.
Old 12th May 2005, 15:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

And if FE does bother you, why look at anything other than a Maruti?..
My wagonR gives me 14+ with a mix of ac/non ac city driving... and i guess zen is even better as far as FE goes..

one of my friend owns a xing xp, and he gets around 11-12 kmpl with nearly my style of driving... but at the same time, according to him, Santro has good initial kick (0-40kmph) when compared with wagonr..but the wagon is more of a enthusiastists car with better revv happy engine..
Old 12th May 2005, 15:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the Indica petrol here. Its within the price, the newer models look pretty nice, the car is extremely comfortable, can take really really bad roads (I've seen one going through a panchayat road that an Amby couldnt manage!), has plenty of space and DOESNT FEEL LIKE ITS BUILT WITH RECYCLED BOURNVITA CANS.

You want your car to last 5 years - 3 year old Wagon Rs I have seen with my friends are in such pathetic condition with rattles and squeaks all over. I dont know much about the Santro except that I travelled on the backseat and didnt like it at all.

Zen - if you want to keep the car for 5 years, it would be an 18 year old model at the end of those five years. Except for the engine there's hardly anything going for it in this age.

The Indica's downside is fuel consumption thats not up there with the rest. On the other hand, I think maintenance bills are much smaller than those for other cars.

Think it over, and do let us know what your decision is.
Old 12th May 2005, 15:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

As far as rattling goes, TATA indica is not far behind my friend. My friend's Indica windows rattle when he turns up the volume of his casette player... and some strage noises start coming from the suspension after about 15 months of driving...
In the end it all depends on how a person drives the car...

See today's Hindustan times. TATA steel congratulates Maruti Suzuki for making the 5 millionth car (WagonR). Got a nice looking photo of wagonr too.. So the "Bournvita steel" is actually made by TATA..??..!!..
Old 12th May 2005, 15:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
See today's Hindustan times. TATA steel congratulates Maruti Suzuki for making the 5 millionth car (WagonR). Got a nice looking photo of wagonr too.. So the "Bournvita steel" is actually made by TATA..??..!!..
Dude if Maruti wants bournvita steel, why wouldnt someone want to sell it to them? Jokes apart, a steel manufacturer only supplies steel to the specifications required by the customer (in this case the different Auto Companies) so lets not assume that all cars that are supplied steel by TS have the same skin.
Old 12th May 2005, 15:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
4. Good FE & Low maintenance: Zen and Alto lead in FE. Dunno about Indica. Indica has higher maintenance amongst these

5. Driving smoothness: Tricky Q. for city, Santro, for highways Zen or Wagon

6. Looks & Ownership pride: Looks-wise Alto, Zen, Indica. Santro and W-R are no competition. Ownership pride I think all are more or less equal except Tata cars which suffer from the brand image of Tata and Diesel engines.
#4, no doubt Maruti-Suzuki lead the way here..Indica has less FE (due to higher weight mainly) but I dont know why you say it needs higher maintenance.. Each piece can have its own problems..its down to a little luck and taking good care of the car...

#5 - what do you exactly mean by smoothness ? I get the feeling that "magazine lingo" is being taken too seriously...if you mean the engine makes some noise when revved ...then isnt that what an enthusiast wants..why buy a quiet engine and then plonk a new exhaust for sound!
I know that sounds stupid but I dont really get th smoothness/refined thing..its a bloody engin with moving parts...is it supposed to tick over w/o letting you know its running, sorry I dont really get the point.
As for highway driving the Indica is a very able car.....(talking from experience here....have done Pune-Goa non-stop in 8.5 hours, very steady cruising at 110+ kph) ..Zen is a ncie handling car though and have never heard the virtues of good handing from Santro/wagonR people.

#6 looks - Palio is easily the best followed by Indica in my opinion...then the zen/alto/santro/wagonR
As for thee "except Tata cars which suffer from brand image and diesels" , well we are talking abt the petrol car here ...as for the brand image..its like a kid in college who is conscious what brand of jeans he wears...its how the car fits your requiremnts and what other 1st hand owners think about that product is more important than what most non-owners who say what is wrong with it.

Anyways just my opinions...I am not plugging that car as I said that for your requirements and teh 2 cars you seem to have short-listed the Zen woiuld be my choice...
Old 12th May 2005, 16:10   #28
BANNED

Hey Suprise,

Guess you have lost hope of the OHC.. hehe anywayz why aren't you considering the WagonR and Swift??
Old 12th May 2005, 16:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

Thats what overdirve says. 3.7lakh ex-showroom for base(Power steering/P.windows/AC and no other features).
Old 12th May 2005, 16:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
#4, no doubt Maruti-Suzuki lead the way here..Indica has less FE (due to higher weight mainly) but I dont know why you say it needs higher maintenance.. Each piece can have its own problems..its down to a little luck and taking good care of the car...

#5 - what do you exactly mean by smoothness ?

as for the brand image..its like a kid in college who is conscious what brand of jeans he wears...its how the car fits your requiremnts and what other 1st hand owners think about that product is more important than what most non-owners who say what is wrong with it.

For #4, that is precisely my point. If you consider luck and everything, a Maruti/Hyundai will have less problems than an Indica statistics-wise. The JD survey would confirm the same.

Smoothness can be defined as the power delivery to the wheels while driving normally is without jerks and does not involve undue attention of the driver. This means that for a normal driving style, the car won't trouble the driver with jerks or high-revs. Palio is sluggish and therefore not as smooth.

As for brand image ... well, its formed over a period of time with the perception of many people. It may be wrong, but it does contribute to 'pride of ownership'. your understanding/definition of brand image is wrong. What you are talking about is herd mentality. Brands for cars are formed after they are tried and tested in the market by real people.

Comments, anyone.

Simran
Closed Thread