Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2005, 16:36   #31
BHPian

Ok surprise congrats U hooking on to some thing this time. U have been hunting for 3 months now and hope you find you destiny for next 5 years. WHAT A RIDE!!!! Ok if you ask me in petrol cars
zen vs santro ---- zen why?

FE , seating(my style and your style if you like the OHC seating) and overall package.

out of the box- try wagon r, easy to drive in crowded places like parrys, pondi bazaar...etc.. and if you wanna alternate do try for second hand zen d, or palio d -you might like it

Palio d has more torque ( ok dont again start a thread with palio d or zend please)
Old 12th May 2005, 16:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
Palio is sluggish and therefore not as smooth.
Palio may be sluggish, but not smooth? I don't agree.
Old 12th May 2005, 16:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
Smoothness can be defined as the power delivery to the wheels while driving normally is without jerks and does not involve undue attention of the driver. This means that for a normal driving style, the car won't trouble the driver with jerks or high-revs. Palio is sluggish and therefore not as smooth.
Simran
If it is sluggish, why is it not smooth (according to your definition of smoothness)? Yes, I find my 1.2 Palio sluggish, but I find it very smooth.
Old 12th May 2005, 17:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just now I stepped out of the my first meeting with Hyundai Guy. Here goes what the sales guy put as an advantage against Zen and Wagon-R (Primarily on Zen)

1. Seating Comfort
2. More Boot space
3. Larger tyres, hence more road grip
4. Impact protection beams on the front side doors
5. Engine sub-frame, which will dislodge the engine position to bottom, once this frame is crushed due to head on collision there by protecting the damage to the engine & people seated in front
6. Collapsable steering
7. Ventilated disc, which will minimize the damages (wear and tear) to the units of the braking system
8. 2 yrs unlimited kms warranty to all the technical parts (i.e for the first 2 yrs any technical problem will be rectified at free of cost without taking the kms done into consideration)
9. The only car that is certified by the India Govt for a seating capacity of 5 persons

Tomorrow Iam going to meet Maruti guy to get his views on both Maruti Wagon-R and Zen.

After that, Iam going to take print out of this complete thread & decide.

THanks for all your feedbacks

PS: Also he had offered the following

first year Insurance, Single sony CD player, Front two sony speakers, Keyless entry with Burlary alarm, Basic acces, Sun control film, Teflon coating. All these worth Rs.30K (according to the sales man figure). Anyway Iam not going to get carried away by this freebies
Old 12th May 2005, 17:37   #35
BHPian

I would strongly recommend the WagonR over the zen and santro

But if you can wait a while, swift is one car worth thinking about.
Old 12th May 2005, 18:13   #36
BHPian

1. Seating Comfort: Sit and see
2. More Boot space: True
3. Larger tyres, hence more road grip: and less mileage too!
4. Impact protection beams on the front side doors: New Zen has these
5. Engine sub-frame, which will dislodge the engine position to bottom, once this frame is crushed due to head on collision there by protecting the damage to the engine & people seated in front: New Zen has this as well. See the Zen brochure kept with the dealership
6. Collapsable steering: I think Zen has this, but am not sure
7. Ventilated disc, which will minimize the damages (wear and tear) to the units of the braking system: dunno
8. 2 yrs unlimited kms warranty to all the technical parts (i.e for the first 2 yrs any technical problem will be rectified at free of cost without taking the kms done into consideration): This is good.
9. The only car that is certified by the India Govt for a seating capacity of 5 persons: Zen also certified. Wagon R not certified.

And for the Palio guys, I had said the user should not have to think during normal driving. His wish should be the car's command (normal driving, not ripping). From the current cars under discussion, the Palio wld lose on the smooth rating since the car just won't pull when he wants it to(compared to compeition). Am I clear here?
Old 12th May 2005, 19:46   #37
BHPian

the wagon also is a good choice specially the new one i think its a 1.1 ltr it has great pickup and is very economic also and it is definitely better than the santro xing and fiat palio both these cars have bad fuel economy figures
Old 12th May 2005, 19:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

here you go. i am getting a fuel efficiency of around 11.5 with ac on partially in bumper to bumper bangalore traffic of bangalore on my palio 1.2 nv. on the highways, i have got around 17. that is pretty decent according to me. yes, i admit that palio 1.2 is very sluggish. but a fuel guzzler; for its size, no.
Old 12th May 2005, 19:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Personal experience with both the cars says the santro xing is a better overall package...you cant go wrong with it.

Drifter
Old 12th May 2005, 22:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

1. Seating Comfort :my bet WagonR
2. More Boot space: WagonR
3. Larger tyres, hence more road grip : Santro (BUT wagonR vxi has same tyre width as santro)
4. Impact protection beams on the front side doors: WagonR has it
5. Engine sub-frame, which will dislodge the engine position to bottom, once this frame is crushed due to head on collision there by protecting the damage to the engine & people seated in front: WagonR has it
6. Collapsable steering: WagonR has it
7. Ventilated disc, which will minimize the damages (wear and tear) to the units of the braking system: WagonR has it
8. 2 yrs unlimited kms warranty to all the technical parts (i.e for the first 2 yrs any technical problem will be rectified at free of cost without taking the kms done into consideration): WagonR has it.. even extended warranty of 4 years..
9. The only car that is certified by the India Govt for a seating capacity of 5 persons
: Who gives a damn!.. wagonR RC says seating capacity=5.. so no problems here infact i would recommend you to read the May ACI article on this 5 seat controversy

Moreover, wagonR sales have seen a 57% increase in the last one year (source aci)

And one more thing.. dont expect maruti people to explain the advantages/disadvantages of wagonR over Santro.. these people are not too good at marketing there products...Hyundai people are more clever in this regard...

Last edited by DCEite : 12th May 2005 at 22:08.
Old 12th May 2005, 22:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

dude by your post it looks as if you think the wagon r is the best and only car in the world.
agreed that wagon r is a good car, but dont project it as if the others cars are nothing. Try fitting 5 people of average build in a wagon r and see...dont you think that will matter to the buyer? But you say

Quote:
: Who gives a damn!.. wagonR RC says seating capacity=5.. so no problems here infact i would recommend you to read the May ACI article on this 5 seat controversy
Everyone knows a person will be more comfortable in any other car other than the wagon r if there are 5 people in the car...barring the alto, 800.

So please dont think just because you own one makes it the best choice for everyone else as well....

Sorry mods if i've stepped over the line here.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 12th May 2005 at 22:25.
Old 12th May 2005, 22:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

See.. as far as seating 5 in the back is concerned.. i advice you to have some experience in both Santro and WagonR. Santro is 122cm and WagonR is 121cm. So a 1 cm doesnt make much difference. I have sat in both, driven both, and found the seats of Santro Hard also..

And please dont talk things like i own something so i will say its better. My brother (yes my real brother) owns a Santro. And it was me who recommended this car to him 2 years ago. But today, with the kind of FE he gets, he repents his decision..

Its not about being biased.. its about being practical.. its about being smart..

P.S. I know you own a Hyundai CRDI. I consider that car as one kickass one.. the engine surely rocks(infact its performance is better than Accent petrol...) .. thats what i mean by being practical and smart thinking...
Old 12th May 2005, 22:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

The width you are talking about is the width of the car...which does not necessarily translate into better space inside the cabin...im not saying the santro is better than wagon r or vice versa...both cars are selling arent they....just that different people have different requirements.

My previous comment was just an observation. If you felt bad i apologise.

And by the way, i dont consider the accent a very good car myself...but it fits my requirements...
whenever i recommend a car i always give its pros and cons as well.
so the next time you recommend a car...make sure you do the same.
No hard feelings.

Drifter
Old 13th May 2005, 00:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

zen all the way dude , infact i ve owned both of them simultaneously till we decided on gettin rid of the santro .
i musn't have driven the santro more than 20 times in the 2 yeras of owning it even though it was a flly loaded model as compared to my base model zen .
i don;t remeber one single time i took my santro for a spin willingly , it was always my last choice . and comapratively i don't feel like seelin my zen even right now .
the santro is a mroe of a commuter s car like all other hyundais , the zen s more about fallin in love with almost everything it offers . it s a car that one would love to drive around .
i hope i 've not been to biased as i yet own a zen .
another option could even be the indica petrol , good engine , spacious interiors and it's well the budget .

manson .
Old 13th May 2005, 09:45   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Santro is 122cm and WagonR is 121cm. So a 1 cm doesnt make much difference.
But the wagonR rear seats are more than 1 cm narrower compared to the Santro. Reason? Jap safety norms which make thicker sheet metal, safety beams etc. the norm.

GTO
Closed Thread