Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 13:02   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Help Required: Getz prime or UVA or palio 1.6

Hi Guys,

One of my friend is seriously looking for a car and obviously he is in a big confusion.

He has test driven the following cars

1) AStar - looks very under powered and high price tag. so ruled out
2) i10 & i20 - he does not like the shape of these cars
3) Swift - same as point no.2

He has finally shortlisted the following cars and planning to test drive ASAP

1) Aveo UVA
2) Getz Prime
3) Palio 1.6

His requirements are as follows

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10
2) Decent mileage
3) Good A.S.S
4) Reliable
5) Should include all the safety features
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs
7) only hatch back

Please consider the above requirements and suggest what are the pros and cons of cars above.

Thanks,
Pradeep
pradeepdayanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 13:26   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepdayanand View Post
Hi Guys,

One of my friend is seriously looking for a car and obviously he is in a big confusion.

He has test driven the following cars

1) AStar - looks very under powered and high price tag. so ruled out
2) i10 & i20 - he does not like the shape of these cars
3) Swift - same as point no.2

He has finally shortlisted the following cars and planning to test drive ASAP

1) Aveo UVA
2) Getz Prime
3) Palio 1.6

His requirements are as follows

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10
UVA is spacious. And with those 60:40 split, its extra benefit.
2) Decent mileage
13-14 is decent? if so UVA

3) Good A.S.S
Umm, not sure in Chennai.

4) Reliable
UVA & Palio

5) Should include all the safety features
UVA - High end should have

6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs
UVA - Not sure of actual price, but should be

7) only hatch back

Please consider the above requirements and suggest what are the pros and cons of cars above.

Thanks,
Pradeep
I am not commenting on Getz, because I have not tried.

Palio & UVA should score almost equally on the above points. But mileage will be lesser in the 1.6 Palio.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 13:43   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

you could also consider the skoda fabia dude.
gives decent mileage and has all the safety features.
1.6 palio is an amazing car too.mileage will be around 10-11km/liter but the car is pure driving pleasure and is quite spacious too and looks great in ferrari red colour.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 13:44   #4
BHPian
 
Firebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai / EC1M 3NH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

If he wants safety features then, Palio 1.6 goes out of the list as you only get is the Seat belt

UVA LT Option Pack - Driver side Airbag and ABS
Getz GLX - ABS

both are good options

Now your Points

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10 - Both are big, Getz has bigger Boot than UVA, UVA has bigger inside than Getz. I guess both are good at this.
2) Decent mileage - UVA scores here by 1 or 2 kmpl more
3) Good A.S.S - Hyundai is good at that, however you cannot ignore free maintainance package from CHEVY
4) Reliable - Both are good
5) Should include all the safety features - Getz - ABS, UVA - ABS and Airbag (D)
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs - Both on the plus side of 5.5 but less than 6.00
7) only hatch back - Yes they are

If he is still confused tell him to consider the proximity from the dealer or service station. This helps a lot.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:28   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
If he wants safety features then, Palio 1.6 goes out of the list as you only get is the Seat belt

UVA LT Option Pack - Driver side Airbag and ABS
Getz GLX - ABS

both are good options

Now your Points

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10 - Both are big, Getz has bigger Boot than UVA, UVA has bigger inside than Getz. I guess both are good at this.
2) Decent mileage - UVA scores here by 1 or 2 kmpl more
3) Good A.S.S - Hyundai is good at that, however you cannot ignore free maintainance package from CHEVY
4) Reliable - Both are good
5) Should include all the safety features - Getz - ABS, UVA - ABS and Airbag (D)
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs - Both on the plus side of 5.5 but less than 6.00
7) only hatch back - Yes they are

If he is still confused tell him to consider the proximity from the dealer or service station. This helps a lot.
i second him on this, its between getz and uv-a, go down to dealers and check the deals,rates,test drives again and decide which one suits bill and need perfectly.CHEERS!!
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 14:34   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 594
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Have not driven UVA but drive Getz. Good car petrol milegae is around 11 to 12. Highway it gives 14 to 15. Good space, sterring adjustment available in case you want to adjust. Boot space is good. Can accomodate one suitcase and 2 medium size bags.40:60 seat ratio help you to create more space if needed. Sturdy and relaible.
Now Getz comes in 1.1 and 1.3 so your friend can check both the options.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 24th March 2009 at 14:37.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:05   #7
BHPian
 
rudrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepdayanand View Post

He has finally shortlisted the following cars and planning to test drive ASAP

1) Aveo UVA
2) Getz Prime
3) Palio 1.6

His requirements are as follows

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10
2) Decent mileage
3) Good A.S.S
4) Reliable
5) Should include all the safety features
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs
7) only hatch back

Please consider the above requirements and suggest what are the pros and cons of cars above.

Thanks,
Pradeep
As already suggested by Mjothi and Firebird, I'll add my 2 cents to your list:

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10
UVA is spacious. And with those 60:40 split, its extra benefit.
Palio - Spacious with great ergonomics and okay interiors.
Getz- Decent spacious with good boot.
2) Decent mileage13-14 is decent? if so UVA
Palio 1.6 - 9.5-11 in City, 14+ in Highways
3) Good A.S.SUmm, not sure in Chennai.
Same here - not sure. Search for Palio threads
4) Reliable
UVA & Palio. Not sure about Getz

5) Should include all the safety features
UVA - High end

6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs
UVA - safety pack would cross 5.5 budget
Palio 1.6 - within 5Lac with Alloys, Tubeless tyres, fog lamps, leather steering grip and gear knob
7) only hatch back

I'll add another point to your list:
8) Driving Pleasure - Palio Stile 1.6 Sports

Best to decide is to Test Drive the 3 cars, check the features it provides for the money you willing to pay and if they meet your requirement!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:19   #8
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10 (Getz / U-VA)
2) Decent mileage (Getz / U-VA)
3) Good A.S.S (Getz, and Getz only)
4) Reliable (Getz, and Getz only)
5) Should include all the safety features (Getz?, U-VA)
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs (Getz / U-VA/Palio)

Palio may be a bit more fun to drive,

But if you consider ***, reliability & the most important peace of mind for many years, than "Hyundai" GETZ is the car of your choice.

Palio (with a TATA service) & U-VA (an unsuccessful model and more importantly its from GM!) better if you avoid.

Moreover, with recent price cut & with good beige interiors, GETZ is now more VFM.

Best of luck.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 24th March 2009 at 15:20.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 15:43   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Update

We both TDied UVA few minutes back. Man the space is huge and very good in comfy..

The dealer brought a 2008 1.2 LT car and told us that there are additional features added to the new 2009 UVA.

He said the following features are added

1) smoother gear shift
2) ABS
3) Driver side airbags

and the cost is 5.73 L with a deduction of 28 K it comes to 5.45L. Looks to me a good deal though..

This price includes alloy wheels and tubeless tyres, free insurance, free mandatory accessories and so on.

Regarding the suggestion for Skoda fabia, my friend is not happy with the performance of skoda in india. So, ruled out

UVa owners,

1) How much would be the maintenance cost for UVA?
2) Quality of service in chennai?
3) Is UVA VFM?

Thanks,
Pradeep
pradeepdayanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:15   #10
BHPian
 
rudrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10 (Getz / U-VA)
2) Decent mileage (Getz / U-VA)
3) Good A.S.S (Getz, and Getz only)
4) Reliable (Getz, and Getz only)
5) Should include all the safety features (Getz?, U-VA)
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs (Getz / U-VA/Palio)

Palio may be a bit more fun to drive,

But if you consider ***, reliability & the most important peace of mind for many years, than "Hyundai" GETZ is the car of your choice.


Palio (with a TATA service) & U-VA (an unsuccessful model and more importantly its from GM!) better if you avoid.

Moreover, with recent price cut & with good beige interiors, GETZ is now more VFM.

Best of luck.
You seemed to be a hugh Getz fanboy.

If you say U-VA is a unsuccessful model so is Getz too. Both are handful in numbers on the road.

Have you owned a Palio and serviced with TATA-FIAT recently or U-VA serviced with GM to comment like that?

Fine, they may not be like Hyundai or Maruti A.S.S but no way to term 'avoidable'. As for FIAT and GM, they are pretty responsive to resolve the issues.This i say after my recent 2nd service with TATA-FIAT when minor problems were unresolved and immediately the dealer took care of in the 1st complaint itself.

Please don't generalize if you haven't owned these cars.

Last edited by rudrah : 24th March 2009 at 16:16.
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:40   #11
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

With i10/i20/Swift out, I guess your friend wants a more conservative looker! So why not the Fusion P? Its a decent cross-over and being in Chennai will be cheaper than other places but will hit 6L (after discounts). Its a practical choice w/ a boot equivalent of a sedan. You cant go wrong with it...

Buying used makes sense if you choose a Palio 1.6
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:46   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepdayanand View Post
and the cost is 5.73 L with a deduction of 28 K it comes to 5.45L. Looks to me a good deal though..

This price includes alloy wheels and tubeless tyres, free insurance, free mandatory accessories and so on.
Did you checked if this 28K is including the Cashless scheme? or either one of them?

The reason is, sometimes dealers do mention about the cashless scheme, but later say that it is either cashless OR cash discount. So, just check and make sure.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 16:53   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

The Getz is available at very sweet deals nowadays. The 1.1 variant I think.

The AVEO UVA also advertised a few days back in TOI about some 30k savings.

Both the above cars are decent hatchbacks.

Out of the above, both cars are spacious with AVEO being a bit better than Getz in terms of space. Both have decent engines, Getz 1.1 is a bit underpowered.

I have not driven the 1.6 Palio so cannot comment.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 17:03   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 356
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

i dont see much UVA at least in bangalore. so according to me, given the success of GM in India, my choice would be between getz and palio. at least tata and hyndai A.S.S is more reliable than GM.
Why pay more to GM when u r getting a better/peppier engine for much less.
is ABS is a must ???( personally dont think so)
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 17:33   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 257
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepdayanand View Post
......UVa owners,
1) How much would be the maintenance cost for UVA?
2) Quality of service in chennai?
3) Is UVA VFM?...........
Can't say about quality of service in Chennai but the GM service people here were responsive and helpful during the routine services. My UVA has been good VFM - about 15 k km without any major issue.

Reverse gear was rough initially but you mentioned you were told the gear shift problem has been ironed out in the 2009 model. Even if that is just sales talk, it was more an inconvenience than a problem and should go off by itself with use.

It may not be a remarkable car in any single aspect (other than interior space for a hatchback) but neither does it have any serious flaws for a car of its class.

Good build quality and brakes.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is better Getz Prime 1.3 or Aveo UVA amdefacto Hatchbacks 46 14th July 2010 00:57
Forget Swift-- Aveo UVA or Getz prime which is better? raghutk The Indian Car Scene 21 10th August 2007 23:17
Getz Prime or Palio Stile luvjascha Hatchbacks 15 30th April 2007 22:00
Getz prime 1.3 is overpriced than previous getz ( old one )? hrishig The Indian Car Scene 3 30th April 2007 10:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks