Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 22:57   #1
BHPian
 
cruiser_1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Suggest a used car for 2.5 lacs

Hello guys, I have been in this forum for some time now and this is my first thread. I am planning to buy a used car for 2.5 lacs. My usage is going to be 64 kms daily with around 100 kms in the weekend.I am looking for a car that will fit my budget and will be easy on pocket to maintain. I am looking for a good fuel efficiency too


For a diesel option, I can stretch a 30K more.. I am tall at 6'3'' and healthy and so please suggest a car for me.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

I guess an Indica Diesel in good condition would be most suited...
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 23:15   #3
BHPian
 
breezydrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 709
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

[quote
I am tall at 6'3'' and healthy
[/quote]

An Indigo will suit your requirement.

Last edited by breezydrive : 1st April 2009 at 23:16.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:48   #4
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

With your usage, it has to be either diesel or CNG!

Also it has to be well maintained one (relatively new), as you also require less strain on your pocket.

four suggestions:

1. In diesel you have limited options. used Indigo, Indica, Swift (if you are lucky).

I have seen a 2001 safari being sold at 2.3 lacs!!! (but it is heavy on pocket)


2. In CNG version, you can find a good number of used decent hatches (Santro, Wagon R etc).


3. Also you can buy good hatch around 2 lacs & spend 30-35K for a new CNG kit. (you will get a relatively new hatch of 2005 onwards around 2 lacs!!)


4. Last suggestion (if you can wait, wait for Nano!!!)

So, its up to the availability of the car. Best of luck for finding.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 2nd April 2009 at 10:53.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,745
Thanked: 89,342 Times
Default

Diesel is best for your kind of running. Look no further than the Palio D, Indica and Indigo.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I would suggest a Diesel Indica or Wagon converted to CNG if you don't require boot. Diesel Indigo or Esteem converted to CNG would be more practical option.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:23   #7
BHPian
 
cruiser_1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Thanks for all your suggestion guys. I believed Indica will be the best bet and I am getting similar suggestions from you guys too. I just have following queries,

1. I am able to find Indica NA 1.4 Diesel with mileage > 50K being sold for around 2.5 lacs. What will be the regular maintenance that should be done around this mark? If possible can you give some rough estimates?
2. Indica Turbo and Indica Dicor are other options, but looks like both are discontinued. Can I still opt for these versions if available?

My pockets will be fully empty once I get the vehicle and I cannot be able to carry on any major works for atleast 2 months. Thats the reason I am asking you the above queries. Please pour in your suggestions, so I can go ahead with my buy. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:40   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Thanks for all your suggestion guys. I believed Indica will be the best bet and I am getting similar suggestions from you guys too. I just have following queries,

1. I am able to find Indica NA 1.4 Diesel with mileage > 50K being sold for around 2.5 lacs. What will be the regular maintenance that should be done around this mark? If possible can you give some rough estimates?
2. Indica Turbo and Indica Dicor are other options, but looks like both are discontinued. Can I still opt for these versions if available?

My pockets will be fully empty once I get the vehicle and I cannot be able to carry on any major works for atleast 2 months. Thats the reason I am asking you the above queries. Please pour in your suggestions, so I can go ahead with my buy. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
I believe Diesel maintenance actually starts after 50K only. Try to pickup a vehicle which ain't abused ie. a private vehicle rather then taxi and one with extended warranty.

Do try to pickup a Indica Trurbo as regular Indica without turbo will be sluggish to drive.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:23   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,275
Thanked: 448 Times
Default

I suggest you stay away from turbos and CRDi engines unless you get one in perfect condition. The NA Indica or Palio D is the best bet. However, make sure the car is not in a condition where you end up spending 50k-1 lac immediately after buying it (esp in case of the Palio D). Get it reviewed from a comptent mechanic and demand the entire service history.

I think you will get privately owned Indica DLS for this price. But I suspect nobody sells a diesel car before 50-70 k kms.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:00   #10
BHPian
 
cruiser_1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I suggest you stay away from turbos and CRDi engines unless you get one in perfect condition. The NA Indica or Palio D is the best bet. However, make sure the car is not in a condition where you end up spending 50k-1 lac immediately after buying it (esp in case of the Palio D). Get it reviewed from a comptent mechanic and demand the entire service history.

I think you will get privately owned Indica DLS for this price. But I suspect nobody sells a diesel car before 50-70 k kms.

Thanks Architect, I will keep it in mind during my search.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,920 Times
Default

I would stay away from used diesel cars. Rather buy a used OHC for 2odd lakhs and plonk in a LPG kit.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I would stay away from used diesel cars. Rather buy a used OHC for 2odd lakhs and plonk in a LPG kit.
I think for his height for for the daily running, OHC will be a quite uncomfortable

i would also like to suggest a NEW CHEVY SPARK for that budget..

the 30k which you have to stretch for a diesel can be used to put in a CNG/LPG kit
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,045
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

A used WagonR / Santro with CNG/LPG kit. Tall people and fuel efficiency are not a problem.

Last edited by DCEite : 2nd April 2009 at 14:08.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,920 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I think for his height for for the daily running, OHC will be a quite uncomfortable

i would also like to suggest a NEW CHEVY SPARK for that budget..

the 30k which you have to stretch for a diesel can be used to put in a CNG/LPG kit
Chevy spark has more space than an OHC???!!!

I am 6 feet tall and "heavy" and am very comfortable in the OHC.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:37   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Indica diesel is good. Try and get the Turbo or the Dicor if possible. They 're powerful, good to drive and will give you a smile on your face.
Maintenance won't be expensive and being a Tata, it will be easier to repair anywhere in the country.

Wagon R, Santro etc.. comes next. They're also easy on pocket and spacious enough to fit you in. Lots of CNG/LPG kits are available if you want to go that way.

Stay away from Palios. You'll get them very dirt cheap for 1 lac etc.. for petrol 1.2 versions. But the neighbourhood mechanic will be smiling all the way to his bank every time he sees your car.
Palio D will be available for something around your budget. But they'll be more big a trouble to maintain.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice: Diesel Car around 20 lacs - 22 Lacs Nitrous Power Luxury, Imports & Niche 27 24th June 2013 11:00
Gift to my dad - please suggest a car within 8-12 lacs BillGates Sedans 80 28th December 2007 00:18
used Accent (petrol) or used Baleno (budget 3 lacs) gopz Sedans 33 5th September 2007 11:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks