Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 4th April 2009, 00:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

the swift VDi ABS is the stuff of myth and maruti brochures. I've never seen one in real life . Heard that a friend of a friend of a friend got hold of one after waiting for 9 months! most folks give up after a while and get a regular VDi or an ZXi (if ABS in a priority)

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th April 2009 at 00:51.
Old 4th April 2009, 01:14   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. Wont even think about going in for VDi+ABS as waiting period will extend from 2 to 5 months and TBH i need a car in 3 days. To the guys suggesting me for Punto, well honestly after owning a Fiat for 7+ years i swear i would not want to buy a car from FIAT India again. They make good cars but thats it after that. They don't follow it up with anything. I have read quite a few positive words about FIAT A.S.S. after the merger with TATA and the Linea launch but honestly speaking my father just won't allow me to own a Fiat ever gain. Also Punto would be out of my reach as i am sure it would be priced about 6.5Lac for the basic diesel model.

So finally i would be upping the tyres (195/60 on 15") and maybe upping the rims(If possible to 15") and not alloys straight away as need to save a bit of cash for the kind of alloys i like. And ofcourse i would be driving slow :P
Old 4th April 2009, 01:16   #18
BHPian

My advice would be to go for the diesel if you have the patience to wait through the inordinately long delivery period. I bought a Vxi even though I drive about 2k km a month because I did not want to wait for 6 months. Also, lots of other circumstances came together and I feel that I made the right choice.
If your usage is anything like mine, you will appreciate the diesel version. If possible get Vdi with ABS even if you have to wait for 9 months like greenhorn's friend's friend's friend. However, its a myth that the petrol version burns a hole in your pocket. I never felt that, even with my relatively heavy usage.
Old 4th April 2009, 02:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Another VDI ABS driver here! It does exist!

10,000 (just today) km of city driving, very little experience of faster roads.

1. It is not a peppy car from take off. The turbo happens around 2,000 and does some making up for that.

2. It's strength is in its low-revs grunt. it is a very easy-going and forgiving car.

3. It is a value-for-money car. Please check the build quality carefully and decide if you will be happy with it. The red door-locked indicator is a paper sticky label. Or was, they soon dropped off on mine! Just look at the things it hasn't got. Not even a clock! That's mean! Make sure you will be comfortable with the car.

4. ABS is a potentially life-saving emergency feature. It does not figure at all in normal driving; if you are careful and lucky, you may never even be aware of it. Get it anyway; it might save someone's life! There are threads elsewhere that discuss what ABS does and does not do

5. A lot of people complain that their Swift rattles; mine doesn't, but it is not the quietest and gentlest of cars over the bumps and potholes. Check that build quality for yourself, again.

6. After a bad start with the dealer (Sir, that salesman, is, errr... no longer with us...) dealing with Maruti has been mostly positive. That counts for quite a lot.

I've been driving in India for only a few years, and whereas an illegal 90-100MPH in a half-decent car on a UK motorway is perfectly feasible, I don't think I would feel comfortable with it here yet. For the first time, last week, I got the car up to 100 and even 120 Kph on a decent stretch of highway. I slowed down sharpish. That's only 75MPH, which is really nothing. Is it the car? Is the road? Is it me? I don't know; lend me a Honda Accord and I'll tell you .

I can tell you that I am perfectly happy driving the Swift around the city. I would like to have a car I can expect a good ten years out of, given my financial situation (it might have to last the rest of my life!) and I am not really confident about that.

Would I buy the same car again? The Fabia is now out of the question; after a long hard look at the i20 (and maybe even, for something completely different, the Honda City or Civic) I'd say maybe. I certainly would not rule it out.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:04   #20
BHPian

My driving would be almost 40-60 KMs per day in city. Hence i need a car with good FE. I have almost asked 10 peeps with a Swift D and everybody have given me a positive response of the car.
Old 8th April 2009, 03:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The red door-locked indicator is a paper sticky label. Or was, they soon dropped off on mine!
That door locked indicator is out of a primary school crafts project. I have managed to keep mine on for 16 months. It is so outrageous that words fail me.
Old 8th April 2009, 08:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
My driving would be almost 40-60 KMs per day in city. Hence i need a car with good FE. I have almost asked 10 peeps with a Swift D and everybody have given me a positive response of the car.
Go ahead with Swift D with confidence. After driving the new look Siena 1.6 for nearly 2 years, I moved to Swift D. Believe me, Swift D makes you smile in almost all departments except for rattles, flimsy plastics and poor ride ONLY on bad roads. Put her on decent/good roads (be in city or highway), Swift will excel. I have taken Swift to 130+ without any issues whatsoever
Old 8th April 2009, 09:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the swift VDi ABS is the stuff of myth and maruti brochures. I've never seen one in real life . Heard that a friend of a friend of a friend got hold of one after waiting for 9 months! most folks give up after a while and get a regular VDi or an ZXi (if ABS in a priority)
Aye!
Dealers are not even willing to commit the waiting periods for the VDi with ABS. How I wish there was a ZDi. Hope MUL launch it to take on the GP and thus start the battle of waiting - Waiting for the launch (GP) vs Waiting for the delivery (ZDi)
Old 8th April 2009, 10:38   #24
BHPian

Hey Switch your story is similar to mine. On nov 08 I sold my Palio 1.2 and bought a Swift Vdi. Upgraded the tyres to 185/70/14 and am using my swift for over 4 months now. I have following points to make.

Pros:

1. Good diesel engine very powerful. I am not getting decent milage as compared to other members on this forum though.
2. Good service center and readily available spares.
3. Very good torque makes driving in the city a breeze and turbo allows you to push it on the highway.

Cons:

1. Very harsh ride especially if you are used to driving a palio.
2. Rattle box, my 4 months old Swift rattles more than my 5 years old xing.
3. Expensive, I feel apart from the engine the car is not worth the money, I would have bought the palio MJD but the same old interiors turned me off.
4. Immediate need to upgrade tires will add to the expenses.
5. No music system (i10 has it, spark,zxi etc have it)
6. Uncomfortable rear seating (compared to palio)

I would suggest if you are looking at only FE and performance and can live with palio interiors palio MJD might be a better choice and the money you save can be spent on upgrading interiors, rims and tires. Its a wise decision only if you want to use the car for at least 5 years.

I still feel I should have bought the palio.

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I know this may sound strange to some but i am a lot confused after having a full blown TD of the vehicle. I will start from the beginning. I currently drive a Palio 1.2 ELX, Santro Xing and Viva Petrol. So as you can see i have always been on petrol. Now a friend of mine had bought a Swift LDi about an year back and my sis bought a VXi almost at the same time. I have earlier driven the LDi but not more then a couple of klilometers. Thogh i have driven the VXi quite a bit. The FE for both the VXi and LDi were reported 13 and 17 respectively. And i was told by my friend that LDi is a very powerful car once the turbo kicks in.

So when the time came for me to upgrade from my 2002 Palio my choice was Swift(As i wanted a decent hatch) and considering the FE i booked the VDi on 27 of last month. At the time of booking i asked the salesman for the TD but as it was a sunday he told me that the car has gone for a TD and there are already couple of others there waiting for the TD before me. My friend who ownes the LDi told me that i can take the TD of his car so i should not wait at the dealership for the same.

Today he came with the car for the TD and TBH i was left speechless. The car is so powerful that it felt like i am trying to control a Great Den who is laching forwards as if he has seen a stray dog 100 mtrs away from him. The car was obvioulsy on stock tyres but still on the fourth gear as soon as the turbo kicks in the car sends little shivers right down your body.

I need a little advise from you guys. Is it a wise upgrade from a 1.2 Palio Elx as i feel my trusty Palio even at the speeds of 130+ has always left me with confidence that i can push more while i cant say the same about the Swift(The build quality is no match for a Palio). I also felt that the initial pickup of the car is not too peepy and only after the turbo kicks in the car feels peppy. Before that it made me feel that i am being dragged by a bullok cart(seriously). Also i was planning to upsize the tyres to 195/60/ R 15 soon after the delivery. Does the car feel more in control after the tyre upsize. Does an optional ABS makes the car in more control then the one without it. Lastly if i let go of the VDi what other options are available in the market within the same price range and having good FE.

TIA

Switch
Old 8th April 2009, 10:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So finally i would be upping the tyres (195/60 on 15") and maybe upping the rims(If possible to 15") and not alloys straight away as need to save a bit of cash for the kind of alloys i like. And ofcourse i would be driving slow :P
Just go with 185 tyres on stock steel rims for now, you will have good control and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
That door locked indicator is out of a primary school crafts project. I have managed to keep mine on for 16 months. It is so outrageous that words fail me.
Mine is intact till date, i think maybe due to the fact that i use the powered door lock switch to lock all four doors
Old 8th April 2009, 10:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the swift VDi ABS is the stuff of myth and maruti brochures. I've never seen one in real life .
After you said so, I started looking out for VDi-ABS. I saw two VDis in my apartment complex and believe it or not both of them are ABS. I saw one in my company parking lot as well. Perhaps, Maruti has been fixing the delivery snags on the ABS versions.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 8th April 2009, 11:00   #27
BHPian

My 185's are giving me great control. My pickups are harsh and braking is hard. My stock wheels would usually spin or lock but now I dont remember when that happened last.

Yes the door locked indicators (stickers) are ridiculous. I have lost them on both the front doors. I guess its something that MUL though is not important for passengers safety. Luckily my security system locks all the doors after startup. I am planning to paint them red.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Su-47, do check if they really have abs, or are just sticker jobs. There are people who do that ....
Old 8th April 2009, 12:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

@switch, I moved from a 5.5year old Palio 1.2 ELX to a Swift ZXi (Petrol). You'll find my first impressions about a Swift vs.Palio here (see post #6): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-hatch-ii.html

After about a year of ownership (I took delivery of the car on April 18, 2008), I'm quite happy with the car, and happy about the shift. I did have to spend a bomb on damping the Swift to get rid of the rattles and the tinny feel. And I still think (so does my Dad & Mom) that the Palio was more comfortable on long distance journeys. In terms of handling and peppiness the petrol Swift beats the Palio 1.2 any day.

I'd suggest that you get the Swift.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:51   #30
BHPian

Swift FTW !!!
The car does drag till the turbo kickas in. This can be fixed with CAI + Pete's

VDi/LDi have a superb suspension setup. Its fun to throw it around the corners,ofcourse with better tyres.Its better not to speak anything about stock tyres.

OE filter --> CAI does make a lot of difference, it feels even more eager.
Closed Thread