Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2009, 08:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

COngrats Switch. You'll surely love your ownership since you have taken a well informed decision. Meet you at the Ownership Review PAge.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:45   #47
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Another point where the Palio scores over the Swift is safety. Check the thread on accidents. I'm not talking of ABS and airbags here. What use are these if the car collapses like a matchbox in a crash.
Think of it this way. After an acident you have 2 options
1. In a Palio-Walk out and suffer the so called non-existant service of TATA-FIAT.
2. In a Swift-Get killed and let whoever inherits your car enjoy the great Maruti after sales service. In fact they can take it to the station in Leh for repairs.

I personally know 2 persons who have had accidents in a Palio and walked out with minor injuries. Guess which car they bought when it was time to replace?
Old 29th April 2009, 13:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
After an acident ...
1. In a Palio-Walk out ...
2. In a Swift-Get killed ....
Thad, you were wrong. I do see this turning into a more spiritual 'liberation from the re-birth cycle and attainment of Moksh' type of discussion.
Switch, congrats and do check the tyre upgrade thread. Lots of useful information there. Is this the non ABS version?

Last edited by Roy.S : 29th April 2009 at 13:06.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:04   #49
BHPian

Went for the PDI in the morning. The car was ready to be delivered but the registration was yet to be done. Signed all the documents and handed over the DD to the sales guy.

Checked the tyres and they were MRF instead of JK. I believe i can get 6K for 4 tyres along with the rims. Will start a new thread once i have the car with me and that should be tomorrow in all probabilities.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Most poeple who think the Swift is better than the Palio are people who have never owned a Palio. Everyone talks about the Maruti service. Ever wondered why Maruti has a service station everywhere? Because you may need it anywhere and everywhere. I've owned 2 Fiats.
Bold statement there buddy, owned both and both have their strong points. I think a wider service station network is more to tell the customer that if anything goes wrong we're round the corner and not because the cars are crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Handling: The car was on stock tyres and the cars feels scary with those. I was very comfortable overtaking any other car/truck/bus on the road but what scared me were the brakes. What i am trying to say is that overtaking a vehicle is not a problem with swift(Thanks to the turbo) but as soon as you overtake the vehicle you need to apply brakes so that you shift to your lane(90% of the highway was two lane with no divider).

Weather to upsize to 15" or stay at 14" only. For sure the width of the tyre would be 195. I still have about 48 hours to make up my mind on that.
Good to hear dude, I can imagine your state, I was going mad days before my car came. The brakes are quite rubbish so you're gonna have to learn to gear check, its legit and works really well. Also, lowering the gear makes the car heavier and easier to handle.

Try avoiding 15" because that would only mean lesser rubber meaning you're going to be feeling more of the road. So think about that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
And I suppose it would have been fun if all fiats had to be flown back to Turin for their extremely occasional and improbable maintenance
hahahaha do it at tatas expense
Old 29th April 2009, 22:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Bold statement there buddy, owned both and both have their strong points. I think a wider service station network is more to tell the customer that if anything goes wrong we're round the corner and not because the cars are crap.
What do you have to say about my next post?

Quote:
Another point where the Palio scores over the Swift is safety. Check the thread on accidents. I'm not talking of ABS and airbags here. What use are these if the car collapses like a matchbox in a crash.
Think of it this way. After an acident you have 2 options
1. In a Palio-Walk out and suffer the so called non-existant service of TATA-FIAT.
2. In a Swift-Get killed and let whoever inherits your car enjoy the great Maruti after sales service. In fact they can take it to the station in Leh for repairs.

I personally know 2 persons who have had accidents in a Palio and walked out with minor injuries. Guess which car they bought when it was time to replace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Thad, you were wrong. I do see this turning into a more spiritual 'liberation from the re-birth cycle and attainment of Moksh' type of discussion.
Switch, congrats and do check the tyre upgrade thread. Lots of useful information there. Is this the non ABS version?
Check the Pics of accidents thread and you'll see some sense in my statement

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 29th April 2009 at 22:04. Reason: Added reply to another post
Old 29th April 2009, 22:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

with 3 stars in the euro NCAP, i fail to see how the palio is safer than the swift which got 4 stars.

I agree that the swift sheet metal is indeed flimsy, and will get deformed by a dog hit or a football, but i dont think its at the cost of one's life
Old 29th April 2009, 22:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
with 3 stars in the euro NCAP, i fail to see how the palio is safer than the swift which got 4 stars.

I agree that the swift sheet metal is indeed flimsy, and will get deformed by a dog hit or a football, but i dont think its at the cost of one's life
I'm not sure but the Palio tested may not have has ABS and Airbags and that's why the lower rating. The Swift tested was the European spec version which has ABS and Airbags. Not all people who buy this car in India, opt for these features. In any case my opinion was based on photos in some thread and some accidents I've seen. My cousin used to work for an insurance company and used to process claims. He also has the same opinion as me. But if you feel safer in a Swift, then go and buy it. After all it's your money and your life. I just gave an opinion. The final decision is always yours.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

see for yourself and decide if airbags were there on the fiat.

and ABS does not make a difference with a crash test.

IMO, the flimsy body panels mean that they will absorb most of the impact and not pass it on to the occupant. I would rather that I survive rather than my car. If an amby crashes onto any of the current generation cars, the newer car will be crushed while the amby will have barely a bent fender.Does this imply that the amby is a safer car ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th April 2009 at 22:58.
Old 29th April 2009, 23:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Without mentioning any specific car, the ideal is the strongly-built vehicle with designed crumple zones.

We feel so safe in our motorised boxes of thin steel and glass; I try to remind myself regularly that it is largely an illusion. One is supposed to think positively, and not contemplate the negative, but the occasional thought about what can happen is a great aid to safe driving.
Old 30th April 2009, 01:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We feel so safe in our motorised boxes of thin steel and glass; I try to remind myself regularly that it is largely an illusion....
I agree. There was this traffic police sign I saw once (don't remember where) that read 'Safety gears are placed between the ears'. May not be the most eloquent statement on the topic, but true.
However, I agree with greenhorn's post about panels absorbing impact. As long as I walk away safe (or even relatively unscathed), I really don't care if my car is totaled.
Old 30th April 2009, 01:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Without mentioning any specific car, the ideal is the strongly-built vehicle with designed crumple zones.
You are completely right about this, the better car is the one that allows the body of the car to take the impact or shock by crumpling rather than a car that doesn't crumple causing the passengers to take the crash impact....
Old 30th April 2009, 02:33   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
You are completely right about this, the better car is the one that allows the body of the car to take the impact or shock by crumpling rather than a car that doesn't crumple causing the passengers to take the crash impact....
but not the passenger compartment.

But... a lot of accidents seem to involve much larger vehicles, with the car being more of less crushed. I don't know what car could survive.

Hey... this is getting depressing: it is a vital subject, but discussing the more positive aspects could be more cheerful!
Old 30th April 2009, 02:41   #59
BHPian

Haha true. I think we can stop discussing and close the thread. He's already taken the delivery :d
Old 30th April 2009, 02:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hey... this is getting depressing: it is a vital subject, but discussing the more positive aspects could be more cheerful!
True. Let us not continue in this morbid vein. Switch, have you got the car yet?
Closed Thread