Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2009, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Default Booked a Swift VDi but having second thoughts after TD

Hey Guys,

I know this may sound strange to some but i am a lot confused after having a full blown TD of the vehicle. I will start from the beginning. I currently drive a Palio 1.2 ELX, Santro Xing and Viva Petrol. So as you can see i have always been on petrol. Now a friend of mine had bought a Swift LDi about an year back and my sis bought a VXi almost at the same time. I have earlier driven the LDi but not more then a couple of klilometers. Thogh i have driven the VXi quite a bit. The FE for both the VXi and LDi were reported 13 and 17 respectively. And i was told by my friend that LDi is a very powerful car once the turbo kicks in.

So when the time came for me to upgrade from my 2002 Palio my choice was Swift(As i wanted a decent hatch) and considering the FE i booked the VDi on 27 of last month. At the time of booking i asked the salesman for the TD but as it was a sunday he told me that the car has gone for a TD and there are already couple of others there waiting for the TD before me. My friend who ownes the LDi told me that i can take the TD of his car so i should not wait at the dealership for the same.

Today he came with the car for the TD and TBH i was left speechless. The car is so powerful that it felt like i am trying to control a Great Den who is laching forwards as if he has seen a stray dog 100 mtrs away from him. The car was obvioulsy on stock tyres but still on the fourth gear as soon as the turbo kicks in the car sends little shivers right down your body.

I need a little advise from you guys. Is it a wise upgrade from a 1.2 Palio Elx as i feel my trusty Palio even at the speeds of 130+ has always left me with confidence that i can push more while i cant say the same about the Swift(The build quality is no match for a Palio). I also felt that the initial pickup of the car is not too peepy and only after the turbo kicks in the car feels peppy. Before that it made me feel that i am being dragged by a bullok cart(seriously). Also i was planning to upsize the tyres to 195/60/ R 15 soon after the delivery. Does the car feel more in control after the tyre upsize. Does an optional ABS makes the car in more control then the one without it. Lastly if i let go of the VDi what other options are available in the market within the same price range and having good FE.

TIA

Switch
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:38   #2
BHPian

While haven't driven a swift-D much, I do get to drive Palio 1.2 very frequently. And, by no stretch of imagination the swift can be called a bullock cart, especially if the comparison is Palio 1.2. Even on the low-end (before turbo spools), the swift is pretty decent.

And, for heaven's sake, it takes an awful lot of time for the palio to reach 130.

The swift build quality may not be best (I've no personal experience, and I'm saying this based on comments here at T-BHP), but I would be amazed if someone tells me that it is less safe than a Palio in case of an accident. BTW, I felt that the brakes on swift are good too.

Concluding, get a tyre upgrade (most enthusiasts do) and get the ABS version and put your worries about it being any less safer than Palio to rest.

Last edited by Su-47 : 3rd April 2009 at 21:42.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:07   #3
BHPian

switch i have been driving a swift d for 9 months now and m very satisfied with the car. she is more than powerful for the daily drive and has good torque to perform well on highways. the engine will never disappoint u! inside the car is also decent enough.
upgrading from a palio 1.2 will be fine. just a couple of hours and you will get the feel of how she performs. no problem on this front also dont worry.

ABS is always preferred. see if you can get an ABS version. its worth the extra 20k for sure. and also upsizing the wheels will improve the handling and braking to quite some extent. stock tires are just not adequate for this car.

other than swift d, you can try the getz diesel if you want a diesel motor. cant go wrong with this either!

Last edited by white_vdi : 3rd April 2009 at 22:09.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:52   #4
BHPian

I have driven a Palio 1.2 NV extensively and own a Swift VDi for almost 11 moths now.
I never found Palio to be peppy, it always felt as if the car was too heavy for the motor under the bonnet.
Now, I agree that Swift is a little slow before the turbo kicks in, but it would be totally wrong to call it a bullock cart.

I think you have made a wise decision and upgrading to 195/60/R15 would increase the handling, as pointed out by others go for the ABS version if budget permits, its certainly worth that extra 20k you pay.

Lastly, Getz D is also available at about a little over 6lacs OTR (Delhi) and that is one monster of a car, but no option for ABS.

My 2 cents.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:57   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Wait till July.

I seriously suggest you wait till July before you buy any car because the Grande Punto with a stupendous engine may be released then. Go through the link below for details of the car that was released 2 days ago in Italy. By the way the Swift diesel can never be called slow even when compared to a GTX driven on LPG.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1236515 (Grande Punto with 1.6vgt released in EUROPE)

Last edited by drpullockaran : 3rd April 2009 at 22:59.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are not comfortable with the car's drivebility, I don't think you should go for it.
Do test drive Palio 1.3 MJD, Indica Vista Quadrajet and see how it performs, it has the same 1.3 Multijet engine.

And Build quality of Palio is definitly much better than Swift's.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Swift Diesel is a very practical car with a superb engine. The only sore pint when you compare it with the Palio1.2 would be the confidence it would give you at higher speeds and probably a harsher ride compared to the palio. If you really still love your palio i suggest you exchange it with the SAntro. I would say thats the best bargain.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

i own a swift you can't go wrong with both petrol/diesel.

query:do both swift diesel and palio diesel share's the same engine.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Switch,

Please don't switch from FIAT. No way a swift can give the stability feel of Palio. I own a Palio 1.2 and I do TD cars whenever I get a chance. So I know where you are coming from.

Swift is of course powerful, but like you said, it gives a feeling of unstable, many times I felt ( while driving swift) the car in incapable of controlling its diesel power.

Here are my suggestions for you,

1. Please take a Test drive of Palio Multijet SDX 1.3L , same diesel engine, same solid build by Fiat. SDX costs 5.4 Lacs On road Pune (no waiting.)

2. Drive your Palio for 3 more months - Fiat is launching Grande Punto in June, I have seen the car ( in testing) in pune, its awesome. Worth waiting.You will get same 1.3 diesel engine.

3. Look at the roads - every third car is a Swift, do you want to be the fourth one dude ?

Raneesh
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:09   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Same engine but different ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
query:do both swift diesel and palio diesel share's the same engine.
Yes the Swift Diesel has a FIAT engine and so does the VISTA Quadrajet. The ECU parameters are different though.

Palio MJD tuned for gradual turbo influence and the VISTA and Swift for sudden onrush of torque after about 1900/2000rpm.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

@drpullockaran thanks for clearing my doubt.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need a little advise from you guys. Is it a wise upgrade from a 1.2 Palio Elx as i feel my trusty Palio even at the speeds of 130+ has always left me with confidence that i can push more while i cant say the same about the Swift(The build quality is no match for a Palio). I also felt that the initial pickup of the car is not too peepy and only after the turbo kicks in the car feels peppy. Before that it made me feel that i am being dragged by a bullok cart(seriously). Also i was planning to upsize the tyres to 195/60/ R 15 soon after the delivery. Does the car feel more in control after the tyre upsize. Does an optional ABS makes the car in more control then the one without it. Lastly if i let go of the VDi what other options are available in the market within the same price range and having good FE.
Wise?
No, 1.2 will fetch you very less money. And then you need to pay extra 4.5 lac for the new car. :P

130; its takes ages to get there and hence you feel safe ? And older Palios had better built quality. You have to trade in built quality for peppiness

Initial pickup? Bet the 1.2 wont match the VDi here too. And you are not gonna do 0-60kmp every now and then right?

Gettign ABS will help during emergency braking situtaion and not on other aspects. Wider tyres definetly helps.

Lastly, Getz CRDi
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:58   #13
BHPian

Hi Switch,

I own a Swift VDI with ABS. For sure the Swift is not as better built as the Palio. There is no issue with high speed stability on the Swift. The only problem I have faced is that the steering does not get heavy with speed. Hence its not confidence inspiring to hold onto a very light steering wheel when you are doing speeds in excess of 100kmph. But that can be my problem as well since I have just started driving a car, I may lack the confidence to control a car at greater speeds.

If you are looking for mileage, peace of mind, killer looks, modification possibilities, good overtaking power,best handling,fun to drive factor, then look for no other hatchback. You will get this combination only with the Swift Diesel.

Yes the ABS does indeed make a positive difference.It gives you confidence as well.Changing the stock tyres is not just an option but a must.The stock JK Tyres are pathetic and the car loses stability if you brake at high speeds(as I learnt from my friend who uses JK Tyres). The JK tyres are also good if you want to learn aquaplaning

Go for the Swift
Old 4th April 2009, 00:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Yes the Swift Diesel has a FIAT engine and so does the VISTA Quadrajet. The ECU parameters are different though.

Palio MJD tuned for gradual turbo influence and the VISTA and Swift for sudden onrush of torque after about 1900/2000rpm.
doc, i think even the vista has the engine tuned for gradual torque, at least less than the swift.

@ switch. if you are afraid of the turbo, try driving while maintaining rpm <2000 ie the region where the turbo doesn't work. most modern diesels are torque monsters. get used to it
Old 4th April 2009, 00:20   #15
F50
Senior - BHPian

Switch, dont switch from Swift D to any other car.
It is a perfect upgrade from Palio 1.2
I own a Vdi done over 15k kms running on 195/60 R15 Michelins.

I love the car expect the rattles.

I would say go for the car because as of now it is the complete package. It wont take you long to get used to the car. Turbo kicks will be tamed in matter of minutes.

Swift D has a damn good engine combined with precise handling. FE - My car has never returned anything less than 18kmpl in Mumbai with 100% AC. Not a single meter is driven without AC. Gear shifts - just great! And major thing - backed by Maruti After Sales Service - no hassles at all.

Plus your decision to change the tires to 195/60 R15 is excellent!! Add some nice alloys and it will be a looker! Struggling 130 in Palio will be a thing of the past. In Swift you are looking at 160 with great stability. You wont even notice when you reached 150. ( Psst! 180 with Petes)

I have driven Palio MJD not a test drive but driven for 80 odd kms! I didnt enjoy the car at all. Brakes are the most scariest part, its so sensitive! Interiors were a big led down. And I can count the number of MJDs seen in Mumbai!

Swift DDiS is a practical choice! You can think of going for non-ABS version as you are shifting to 195s, if you have 20k extra nothing like spending on ABS.

Still not convinced? Take a Vdi/Ldi on twisties you'll know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan View Post
Switch,

Please don't switch from FIAT. No way a swift can give the stability feel of Palio. I own a Palio 1.2 and I do TD cars whenever I get a chance. So I know where you are coming from.

Swift is of course powerful, but like you said, it gives a feeling of unstable, many times I felt ( while driving swift) the car in incapable of controlling its diesel power.
Adding better tires will put all your doubts to rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan View Post
3. Look at the roads - every third car is a Swift, do you want to be the fourth one dude ?

Raneesh

All three are very happy, you'll be the fourth one!

Last edited by F50 : 4th April 2009 at 00:24.
Closed Thread