Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 12th April 2009, 03:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul18348 View Post
Now my problem is how to convince her. She is thinking in terms of practicality and i'm simply blinded by the driving experience. What shall i do now? All suggestions are welcome.
My two cents:
1) Be practical!!
2) Moms are always right

Go for the i10 mate. You'll fall in love it. Its brilliant, solid, smooth and peppy. And the ride and handing aren't as bad as you mention. And an important point, you'll never like the rattles and squeaks that come with a Maruti.

Go catch the i!
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 08:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mom is dead against A-Star as she felt the rear seats are worse than alto. She was very happy when she sat behind in the i10.
Now my problem is how to convince her.
Cosidering that Rocky has shown a strong preference for the A-Star, this very important development has to be factored in. Rocky gets thrown about from side to side on twisties in the tall-boy car!
Further the i10's beige interiors will get dirty very fast, as pointed out earlier in this thread! Seeing as how rocky is not a beige coloured pooch, the decision sways heavily in favour of the Maruti vehicle.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 08:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rahul18348 : My mom is dead against A-Star as she felt the rear seats are worse than alto. She was very happy when she sat behind in the i10.
.. She is thinking in terms of practicality and i'm simply blinded by the driving experience.
@Rahul, who'll use it more ? How often will your mother ride in the car ?

How about something other than these two ? May be a 1.3 Getz ? (1.1 is way too underpowered).

Suggest, let the dust settle. You'll both come to a conclusion soon.

* The gear-shifts will soon become invisible, but not the seating comfort.
* Is the gear box on the i10 so bad ?
* Which i10 did you check ? I found the 1.2 Kappa very good - would take that over the A*.
* Check with other i10 owners about their experiences about the handling.
* How often are you going belt the car at 120 on the highway ?
* Will that belting be with mom riding in the back seat ?
* What do you like 3-pot vs 4-pot ? Either way, I like the Kappa.
* Beige interiors : use a good combi on the seat covers to get a different feel of the interior.
* The dog may cause some dirt on the seat covers .. but anything on the panels will be clean-able.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 08:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Test drove both cars today. Some people here might not like my opinion. My mom is furious over this issue but I just loved A-Star. Handling, Drivability, High Speed cornering, agressive breaking etc A-star is miles ahead on these aspects compared to i10. I drove both the cars in city for about 10 min & then belted them on the highway at 120kmph. The maruti salesman got scared & advised me to take it easy (he would end up losing his job if the car got damaged). In city both are equally good. A-star has a lighter but more responsive EPS which breezes though traffic. But on highway A-star is as solid as a rock. Due to higher ground clearance & cockpit like cabin feels like flying a helicopter rather than driving a car. The things i liked most in A-star are:
1) Thick steering wheel (like swift).
2) Short shifter (Gearbox like MAKHANN! really sweeet).
3) Front seats have very long travel.
4) Stiff suspension aids handling & car does not dive on high bumpers or potholes.
Overall a complete driver's car. I u can't afford Swift than this is the closest to it in terms of pure driving pleasure. i10 although much more comfortable is not a good handler. The suspension is way better compared to santro but this compromises handling.
This whole experience has put me in a dilemna. My mom is dead against A-Star as she felt the rear seats are worse than alto. She was very happy when she sat behind in the i10.
Now my problem is how to convince her. She is thinking in terms of practicality and i'm simply blinded by the driving experience. What shall i do now? All suggestions are welcome.
PS: A-star was driven for about 26kms on the highway with fuel gauge showing empty, but the salesman said "Sir ghabraiye mat! Abhi to aur chalegi. Zabardast mileage deti hai!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If it's for only 2 people and a dog choose the AStar. If space is of importance chose the i10.
Pluses of AStar over i10 Era: 1) Better and newer engine, more fuel efficient, more highway speed, better handling due to wider track, quirky looks.
Rahul, like i have said before, if the car is for at the most 2 persons and Rocky choose the AStar over the i10 1.1. If not for the rear space the AStar is a better overall package than the i10 1.1, because it's more of a driver's car and the engine is peppier and more fuel efficient.

There is no way to convince your mom against her will if she's going to be a rear seat passenger and she doesn't feel comfortable at the back. How tall are you, how much is the front seat pushed back? How does she feel about the rear seat if the front seats are not pushed all the way back in? The rear window of the AStar is not all that big, and it adds to making someone claustrophobic. When i tried the AStar the rear seats did not feel as cramped as it was made out to be, but i'm not that tall either, the rear windows did make me claustrophobic.

Anyways give the Astar another try, adjust the front seats and see how the rear feels. If it still feels crampy for your mom, then there's no way out other than the i10 and consider the 1.2 engine too. i10 is a tall boy design but handling is not that bad, better tyres and wheels would make it a lot better.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 13:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
@Rahul, who'll use it more ? How often will your mother ride in the car ?

How about something other than these two ? May be a 1.3 Getz ? (1.1 is way too underpowered).

Suggest, let the dust settle. You'll both come to a conclusion soon.

* The gear-shifts will soon become invisible, but not the seating comfort.
* Is the gear box on the i10 so bad ?
* Which i10 did you check ? I found the 1.2 Kappa very good - would take that over the A*.
* Check with other i10 owners about their experiences about the handling.
* How often are you going belt the car at 120 on the highway ?
* Will that belting be with mom riding in the back seat ?
* What do you like 3-pot vs 4-pot ? Either way, I like the Kappa.
* Beige interiors : use a good combi on the seat covers to get a different feel of the interior.
* The dog may cause some dirt on the seat covers .. but anything on the panels will be clean-able.
Hi Condor! With regards to ur post. The gearshift is very important for me as i suffer from tendonitis (left elbow). I understand how sachin tendulkar feels after using that heavy bat for all these years. I drove my collegue's indica at the office & ended up with severe pain in the left arm. I am quite a sedate driver in city & don't like to race at traffic lights but on highways i always end up belting my car at 100+ (i hate when bigger sedans/SUV overtake me). Plus i live in chattisgarh, roads are very good with smooth tarmac but landscape is hilly & full of twists & turns. (will always favour a car which efficiently handles corners at high speeds.) 3-pot engine does not bother me as i like the sound of an engine roaring at high revs (saw too many fast & furious movies) . My mom generally travels to market 2-3 times a week & goes to Sai Madir on sundays. Other than that she's not a fan of long highway drives which i love. my mom likes sitting at front but i don't as she constantly nags me to drive slowly, watchout for rickshaws etc (moms are like that i guess).

Quote:
There is no way to convince your mom against her will if she's going to be a rear seat passenger and she doesn't feel comfortable at the back. How tall are you, how much is the front seat pushed back? How does she feel about the rear seat if the front seats are not pushed all the way back in? The rear window of the AStar is not all that big, and it adds to making someone claustrophobic. When i tried the AStar the rear seats did not feel as cramped as it was made out to be, but i'm not that tall either, the rear windows did make me claustrophobic.
Hi Sankar! I pushed the front seat about half way back leaving ample leg room in rear. Leg room & claustrophobia is not so much of an issue for my mom as the lack of under thigh support is. Could that be improved using foam cushions under seat cover? Or will it cause to bang her head as roof is also lower at back.
rahul18348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:15   #36
BHPian

Another thing i want to no is which is a better/cheaper option

A) Getting an A-Star LXI model and fitting them with following accessories:

1) Music system with speakers (MGA or Aftermarket as salesman told me that warranty will be void if aftermarket fittings are done).
2) Remote Locking (although LXI does not have central locking).
3) Body coloured ORVMs (hate those alto mirrors on such a beautiful car)
4) Full wheel covers.
5) Power windows (Front & Rear)

OR

B) Getting a VXI model fully loaded with ABS, fitting it with Remote Locking & getting rid of the OEM ICE (Integrated Audio System - NSCR 05) which does not have frontal USB. Put a better ICE with more features.

I think getting an LXI and fixing everything else will be cheaper but i won't get ABS on LXI model & all the fittings will be done at the dealer end rather than at factory.
rahul18348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 07:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, if you can at all afford the ABS model, go for it, to the exclusion of all other factors.
You tend to speed. You live in an area full of tw isties. Potential disaster recipe without ABS. That ABS will allow you to brake effectively and safely on a curve and hey, who knows, thereby save your life!
And Rocky will be ever so thankful!

BTW, are you aware that ALL Maruti cars come fitted with iCATs? Theft proof so far! No thief in India seems to have yet cracked it!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 16:14   #38
BHPian

Rahul,

I own an i10. Its 1 year old with 14500 km under its belt. Its still as smooth as it was an year ago. The mileage that i get in a city like Hyd is above 14 (with AC on)...

I went for a test drive in A-star and IMO, you cannot even compare both the cars. I10 beats A-star in all depts hands down except for FE. Finally its your choice but as I had mentioned earlier, IMO, you cannot compare an i10 with an A-star.

Rav
maverick236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:05   #39
BHPian

One of the reasons why i don't like the A-Star is this:
Please help me out guys! A-Star LXI or i10 Era?-hyundai_i10_sideview.jpg

Please help me out guys! A-Star LXI or i10 Era?-maruti_a_star_side.jpg
See the difference between the rear windows of the i10 & A-Star, i'd feel claustrophobic in the rear of the A-Star.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 16th April 2009 at 17:07.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 00:17   #40
BHPian

Always go for i10 as it best car in that price range and very good satisfied customer base.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 00:41   #41
BHPian

i10 all the way. A star is not VFM.
Silver Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 07:12   #42
BHPian

Personally speaking, I have not had any experience of any of these two, so my comments may not have as much significance as some of the other people here. however I have driven Maruti Hatches for more than a decade and I can safely say that as regards service and spares, it is going to be really trouble free.
As far as comparison between A* and i10 is concerned, I find the shape of the former kind of odd and that rear window as mentioned above is a turn off. Add to that, those scary headlights and you have a recipe for an ugly looking hatch. i10 though appears feminine in looks to me. People have some wonderful things to say about it though.
travelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 16:29   #43
BHPian

I am totally agree with Anilkalwani.

another advantage of A star: extremely small rear window, is a blessing for couples going for a long drive!!

Last edited by loving_alaap : 17th April 2009 at 16:36.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 16:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Rahul,

While I am a great fan of Hyundai's "silent" engines and have admired the Santro right from its first avtaar in 1998,here are a few points:

1.Maruti's sheet metal treatment is the BEST - all Hyundai cars I know have seen under-door corrosion in five years.My Body shop man also endorses this. Marutis,on the other hand do not corrode till at least 10 years.So if you're keen on keeping the car for long , the A STAR is the one
2.There is no compare as regards availability and reasonably priced spares - MARUTI is the KING
3. The overall reliability of a MARUTI is much higher than any other brand
4.I can't say about FE,but the KB series engine for the A-Star is like a camel

One last point - if you can wait for the Ritz,I think you'll end up satisfying Mom as well.
I have not owned a Hyundai and so cannot comment whether points 1-4 hold or not, but have owned Maruti from 1995-2003, and from my experience, will tend to disagree on 1-3. Zen 1999 corroded fairly by 2003 with less than 40K.

2 and 3 are related: spares are available and reasonably priced, but the cost of ownership on 800 and Zen was not too low as made out to be: some part or the other tended to wear out every few months beyond 20K and axle (expensive) had to replaced on both. 800 left me stranded at least 4-5 times in 4.5 years-point condensors, alternators, axles, etc. Of course, this was in Delhi so hardly a problem in getting service, but hassles nonetheless.

Perhaps things have changed for the better since 2004, when I disposed off my Zen. They did not improve between 1999 (800 sold with 75K done) and 5/2004 (Zen sold with 54K done).

Last edited by vasudeva : 17th April 2009 at 16:43.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 16:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
With a dog inside the car, the beige interiors of the i10 would get dirty in no time. Would suggest the A star
At least from my ownership experience of beige interiors, I prefer them. Compared with dark or black interiors, at least the dirt is visible before it becomes tough to remove, and thus dirt can be removed (I clean it thorughly every 2 mths or so either through own muscular effort or through outside help). Cleaned up beige looks far better to me than black leather or fabric interior.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote