Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 17th April 2009, 16:59   #46
BANNED

if its Japanese (suzuki) Vs Korean (hyundai) technology, then i would prefer A-star, personally over i10!

a-star is more practical when it comes to the needs of a middle class indian family.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 17:38   #47
BHPian

IMO, cars of Maruti (selling in India), are not at all of Japanese quality.

Only Honda & Toyota are bringing true Jap quality to India.

Better stick to i10 (a true Korean better than psudo jap maruti).
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 19:28   #48
BHPian

Yup...I too would go for i10...the A Star has something unpleasant about it's looks!
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:25   #49
BANNED

suggest i10 for its interiors, fit and finish and lt the i10 engine is much more refind and also the back seat comfort.i felt much more comfirtable sitting in i10 rear seat but A-star may beat in all in fuel efficiency.

-MUKE
muke31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hey there,

I have taken a td of the A*. THough i personally like the Looks of it (I think this car has the most radical looks amogst all hatchbacks). I love the head lights. ANd i love the 'red' back lite instrument cluster.

But I personally thought when i TD the car it was at around 3. p.m, the a.c could not keep the whole cabin cool. We were 4 adults in the car. I felt the AC lacked the 'punch'. THe car pulled very well though and yes as all have mentioned handling is good, braking is good, but 1 very weird thing i notices were the head rests : they are like the tata nanos head rests. IMO they look ugly.

I think the cars over priced, I personally think a ALTO is much more value than the A*.

Cheers,
AC
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 14:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
I think the cars over priced, I personally think a ALTO is much more value than the A*.
in europe, A* is launched as new Alto.

Only here we are cheated with this overpriced 2 seater.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 23:47   #52
BHPian

Default A-Star LXI got it & will stop @ nothing!

With reference to my earlier thread regarding A-Star or i10
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...i-i10-era.html (Please help me out guys! A-Star LXI or i10 Era?)

Finally bought my A-Star LXI Arctic White on 27th Apr 2009. Here are some pics:

Will follow up soon!

Threads Merged

Last edited by Stratos : 5th May 2009 at 01:50.
rahul18348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:02   #53
BHPian

Updates please!!! How is it going with the A-* ? Is it comfortable with the stop-and-go traffic esp with the high dash ? Overall feeling at the end of drive in congested traffic ? At the Signals, does the car feel underpowered ?
I felt the build quality was top class in A-*, any issues after using for few months ?
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 00:25   #54
BHPian

hey dude congrats on your purchase, waiting for the detailed review of your new star in family, i personally am a maruthi fan for decades is eargly waiting to see has this car delivered satisfaction to you.

Wating for a detailed review with good pics of your car and dog
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:31   #55
BHPian

*bump*

moved on moderator's request

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-star-vxi.html (New car (4.5L otr) i10 1.2 vs a-star vxi)

Hey guys, I've trolled around the other threads, esp Rastapopoulos's and have gotten decent insights from there , my requirements being slightly different as am getting this for myself:
So would like suggestions to compare between i10 1.2 magna/sportz vs a-star vxi .

Its my first car and my requirements are more or less:
- want a city car which can handle highways well (sporadic long drives), but mainly city commute - so agile handling is primary criteria
- 4.5L OTR is the limit i've set myself,dont really wanna exceed it for i20 ,etc
- safety equipment (abs , airbags ) would be more preferred than power ( a-star vs i10 here)

Will go on TD's on the weekend,but reading online, what I want suggestions on is:
- it isnt clear if A-star has foldable rear-seats or not .That really isnt very practical , + for i10
- A-star has ABS + air bag , + for A-star
- i10 has a muchos better engine , + for i10 , but considering that I pretty much consider myself to be a safe driver 0-80/100 rather than go quick, is A-star's engine a let down even in city acceleration or highway speed?
- car stability ?
- rear seat comfort?
- boot space ?

any other views will be appreciated as well.

Last, I live in mumbai/navi mumbai ,so service shouldnt be an issue, but do let me know of any discounts / dealer discounts you may know of here.

Muchas Gracias!

Seems A-star has cramped back and boot and no fun for tall folk (i'. 5 11)
mailmaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 13:19   #56
BHPian

Mailmaldi
My son is 6'1" tall and has no problems in the driver's seat/front seat. Ingress/egress is good and the driving position is very comfortable.
The engine is great both in city drives and highway drives . Stability is good upto 100/105 kmph. . The fuel economy is amazing (17 in the city; 22+ on the Expressway).

However the rear seat is cramped and boot is very small, which we were well aware of at the time of purchase. So it is a question of what you need.
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 13:30   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmaldi View Post
- A-star has ABS + air bag , + for A-star
- i10 has a muchos better engine , + for i10 , but considering that I pretty much consider myself to be a safe driver 0-80/100 rather than go quick, is A-star's engine a let down even in city acceleration or highway speed?
)

You can get an i10 with ABS and airbags as well.

The A star engine is much more peppier and fun to drive than the i10 era engine.

Since it's your first car, go for the i10. the only reason for suggesting this is the space. Although if you consider the Ritz, the game changes and i would suggest that then. The Ritz comes in the same price bracket. As far as i recall, the Ritz with abs airbags is 462,000 mumbai on road.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th December 2009 at 13:32. Reason: typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 14:50   #58
BHPian

So, going for a i10 TD on Saturday, will also have a look-see at the maruti showrooms.

Ritz Vxi (4.37 ex-showroom mumbai) doesnt have ABS/air-bags but theres a vxi abs model , but still no air-bags. (4.67 )

I like Ritz but it relly stretches my budget. I stretched it from 4.0 to 4.5 just for i10 and others.

Tejas@perioimpl -> i10 asta (5.0 mumbai) is the only i10 with abs & bags, but thats even more exp than Ritz.

All my colleagues dont like a-star (4.24 mumbai), but thats primarily cuz of looks (i am ok with the looks) and the lack of space ( I guess i'll check both i10 & a-star for myself to decide on it.)
mailmaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

I would say i10 or Ritz instead of A-Star. i10, nothing to write abt the interiors city drive & A.S.S is concerned.
If you like the futuristic looks of Ritx then its the way to go.
Sorry to say I personally feel A-star sucks a big time. A big No to it.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 17:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

It should be the i10 as it is more practical than A Star. A Star is really cramped at the rear and has a tiny (useless) boot
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote