Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 27th April 2009, 23:10   #1
BHPian

Default Hatchback for city use?

Well, its car buying time at home again.
We have a 5 yr old Alto 1.1. The 1.1 ltr engine is still butter smooth but each and every body panel rattles, even on slightest bump on road. It is used basically as a city car. Very few trips to Mumbai on the e-way.

Now 2 questions.
1. How much will be resale price for Alto 1.1 ? Its very well maintained, with proper service history, only city use, very low mileage (about 30k in 5 yrs), doctor owned etc etc.

2. Which is the new car to replace it with? Dad is not happy with Maruti, as for all past Maruti cars that we owned, body panel rattles started within 3 years period. We intend to keep car for at least 5 years if not more. Car will be STRICTLY limited to city use. and no NANO is not an option, as we have had equally bad experiences with Tata body rattles.

2 choices seem on horizon.
a. Chevy spark
b. Hyundai i10

Chevy dealer is offering a great price for spark (3.3 on road for a model with PW, PS with 3 yrs service free). In camparison i10 1.2 is about 4.4 on road. We all like the spark, but only problem with spark is the financial health of GM in US of A. Is it sensible to go for any GM products now, when things arent looking as good for GM in USA ?

Are there any other options suitable to our needs?

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 27th April 2009 at 23:20.
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 23:20   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think the Chevy is a good deal. The i10 is a bit overpriced.
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 23:25   #3
BHPian

amongst the 2 options mentioned and if money is not a concern and does appear so from your post go in for the i10, it's a new model,more space, nice gearbox, and a better engine. In short an overall better product.
The spark is a nice little car and is tremendous VFM.
don't think the US govt can afford to let GM die. I am sure it will survive and, markets like India will be key to its future.

SO if money is not a concern then the i10 is my recpmmendation
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 23:53   #4
BHPian

Its not like money is totally not a concern, of course, if we get a car satisfying all our needs at a cheaper price, who wouldnt want it?
But it should not happen that, after buying spark, GM goes bust, and then maintenance of spark becomes a nightmare.
Resale value is not important, as if the car holds well (read rattle free, as almost all engines these days are bullet proof till 1 lac km or so), we plan to keep it for quite some time.
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 00:10   #5
BHPian

in the long run i think you will definitely appreciate the i10 as it's a better package...do look up the forum for long term ownership reviews by users of the spark and i10 may help you make decision. also another suggestion, do test drive both and get a feel for them. Ultimately I believe that you should go in for a car that you will enjoy
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 12:19   #6
BHPian

@Abhijit

My vote goes to the Spark.

Purely VFM car. Is spacious and comes with peppy engine too. Has strong Build to run on highways at high speeds.

GM India is doing far better than GM US so no need to worry about it.

TD the car with family
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:20   #7
BHPian

You observation are 100% correct.

Any maruti will rattle in around 3 years. (so poorly built)

If you really want a peace of mind and long living, go for a Hyundai hatch.

Santro: the best Hyundai ever

i10: better interiors but slightly overpriced
i10 1.2: poor FE, even more costly
Getz: after recent price cut a good VFM @4lac on road (need to confirm)

Spark: after 3 years, you have to pay really high in ***.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
You observation are 100% correct.

Any maruti will rattle in around 3 years. (so poorly built)
Comments like these really surprise me.
Have you ever owned a Maruti to be commenting on rattles ? Or is it just hearsay from the various Swift rattle threads?

FYI, I have lived with two Marutis - a 1.05 lac run M800 and a 48k WagonR. The WagonR does not rattle at all, and its still going strong. The M800 started showing rattles only near the 80k mark. Beat that!

True, Swift has a rattle problem, but to generalize this to the entire Maruti range of cars is a bit far fetched.

If the thread starter's cars start rattling after 3 years, i am very sure there must be something wrong the way its driven, or the roads on which they were driven.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 17:33   #9
BHPian

GM wont go bust in USA, infact the company has come out with various measures to see that it remains afloat in the volatile market, to name a few as 21000 job cuts, selling of their few not so profitable brands, as pointed out by other members, GM India is doing pretty good, so dont worry on the GM going bust part. haaa as far as the ride is concerned i would vote for the i10, for driving pleasure, newer car, newer engine, wide after sales network. I have test driven both cars and my vote is based on the TD, also i have owned a santro for four yrs now and no complains on the A.S.S. front too.
schitre05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 19:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

With the price quoted, Spark looks tempting.
Also IMO, considering its only a city car, Spark seems to be a better option comparitively, when the price difference is 1.1L.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 19:20   #11
BHPian

Why not go for Santro?
?ushk@r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 20:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Abhijit - why not the i10 - IRDE ? if you have done all your evaluations and comparisons and its finally down to i10 vs spark, I would prefer the i10. given the fact that you have the IRDE option, why not try that ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 21:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Go for Spark. It is truely VFM. Don't worry about the parent company. The company will not close down. They are certainly down but not out. The owners of Sparky are very happy too (in this forum). You can pm bombatt for further details regarding the sparky. He is owning the car from past 1.5 yrs.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 22:46   #14
BHPian

i10 is a much better overall package than spark. However, if price is an issue, spark wont be a bad choice with 3 years of free maintenance etc added up as well.
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 08:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

If mileage is not a problem go for the i10 Kappa. Its a good engine, you can get the wider Hyundai service coverage and resale might be slightly better than a GM.

If you want a real VFM car thats a breeze to drive in city traffic. Its the Spark written all over. You could use the additional 1 lack you save to ICE it up.

DOnt be bothered of the financial situation of GM elsewhere. GM India is surely here to stay for much longer. The only issue could be that they would be out with an all new Spark by the time you are out to sell your car.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote