Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 21st June 2009, 11:16   #16
BHPian

Ritz ZXi it would be for me. Dont worry about the rear looks - it will soon be accepted! Even though you would drive primarily in the city, go with a car with airbags, et al
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 19:53   #17
BHPian

Swift - Good car! I am driving one. And being a common car on the road, doesn't mean it is to be avoided. Infact, just the opposite, there are so many more people who think that the vehicle is really good.
Also, check out the GP.
All the best!
Blwetorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 20:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgreat View Post
I am looking for a safe, comfortable and a good looking vehicle.
On that budget for comfortable and a good looking i20 will be good choice. But for safety u need to shell out around 1 lakh more
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
Swift - Good car! I am driving one. And being a common car on the road, doesn't mean it is to be avoided. Infact, just the opposite, there are so many more people who think that the vehicle is really good.
Also, check out the GP.
All the best!
I drive about 1200 kms per month. mainly in city. about 400 - 450 kms on highway. Do you think its advisable to go for diesel? Maintaing diesel more expensive then petrol? We have not had a diesel car in family in years.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:40   #20
BHPian

As someone else pointed out, if the prices are close, let the monthly driving not be a hindrance to buying a diesel car. Just TD the cars and then decide.

Last edited by travelex : 22nd June 2009 at 12:46. Reason: missed out the "not"
travelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maintaining a diesel was nightmare in those days but not now. the diesel technology had improved over a lot so need not worry.
You can very well go for diesel.

GP: Good with all the bells & whistles, A.S.S need to be considered.
Ritz: Old wine in new bottle. If you like the design you can, but seems to be overpriced when compared to Swift.
Swift VDI: vehicle which has a crown on its head. (Well proved in market)
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Maintaining a diesel was nightmare in those days but not now. the diesel technology had improved over a lot so need not worry.
You can very well go for diesel.

GP: Good with all the bells & whistles, A.S.S need to be considered.
Ritz: Old wine in new bottle. If you like the design you can, but seems to be overpriced when compared to Swift.
Swift VDI: vehicle which has a crown on its head. (Well proved in market)
thanks for your reply all. My main worry was maintaining diesel compared to petrol. i believe the difference is about 60k between swift petrol and diesel. wasnt able to decide if paying extra 60k was worth or not for diesel considering the fuel consumption on diesel is better then petrol.

As per the sales guy, the claimed mileage is 12kmpl in petrol and 15 kmpl in diesel in city. how true are these figures? based on these figures diesel surely works out cheaper then petrol.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
thanks for your reply all. My main worry was maintaining diesel compared to petrol. i believe the difference is about 60k between swift petrol and diesel. wasnt able to decide if paying extra 60k was worth or not for diesel considering the fuel consumption on diesel is better then petrol.

As per the sales guy, the claimed mileage is 12kmpl in petrol and 15 kmpl in diesel in city. how true are these figures? based on these figures diesel surely works out cheaper then petrol.
Nothing to worry, about the diesel maintenance, if the servicing of petrol vehicle app cost. 2200 to 2500 per service, diesel vehicle costs you 3200-3500/-.
Diesel Spares are costly than pertol only in hundreds may not be a heart breaking figures.
The above figures are set of an example,may vary from servicing to servicing.

As you mentioned the difference in price of 60 -70K for a diesel vehicle than a petrol one can be achieved when the vehicle is used extensively.
The more miles you churn out, faster you can achieve the break-even-point of petrol vs diesel.
Hope there is a thread exists in our forum.

If you use very sparingly and clock only below 1000km per month then stay away from diesel.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 22nd June 2009 at 14:26.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ harsh - I would say go for Swift vdi. We have a cedia and a M800 at home. Dad is looking for a new diesel hatch and I have checked out punto, i20, jazz and rits and I guess we ll go for Swift vdi.

punto- excellent car, After sales may be a problem!
i20 - very underpowered
jazz- exceeeeeeeeeleeeeeeennnnt car, very over priced
rits- couldnt digest the shape.. overall a good car

if you want safety features..you may consider swift ZXI- very value for money.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 22nd June 2009 at 15:07.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:13   #25
BHPian

i would suggest stick to maruti and go for the ritz petrol ZXI. 1200 kms its not worth going for diesel.

why oh why???

1) its engine is new.
2) will give good mileage in city and highways.(15-18)
3) you dont trust wagon R on highways but i think ritz is mature and is planted and has good highway manners.
4) opinion on looks differ but i think ritz is a very sporty looking car.
5) being a tall boy iit has more headroom for people in back so they can sit comfortably.
5) its a maruti will keep your dad tension free.

i would really consider ritz.
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i would suggest stick to maruti and go for the ritz petrol ZXI. 1200 kms its not worth going for diesel.

why oh why???

1) its engine is new.
2) will give good mileage in city and highways.(15-18)
3) you dont trust wagon R on highways but i think ritz is mature and is planted and has good highway manners.
4) opinion on looks differ but i think ritz is a very sporty looking car.
5) being a tall boy iit has more headroom for people in back so they can sit comfortably.
5) its a maruti will keep your dad tension free.

i would really consider ritz.
Thanks for your suggestion. I already have a Wagon R and dont prefer another tall boy in the family. Plus it isnt going to be my car only, going to be used by mom and wifey too and both rejected Ritz. So i had narrowed down on SWIFT. Test drove i20. Loved the car. Fiat GP not driven yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@ harsh - I would say go for Swift vdi. We have a cedia and a M800 at home. Dad is looking for a new diesel hatch and I have checked out punto, i20, jazz and rits and I guess we ll go for Swift vdi.

punto- excellent car, After sales may be a problem!
i20 - very underpowered
jazz- exceeeeeeeeeleeeeeeennnnt car, very over priced
rits- couldnt digest the shape.. overall a good car

if you want safety features..you may consider swift ZXI- very value for money.
Jazz is out of question for us. I personally dont find it VFM. Not saying its not a good car. But over priced. I test drove the i20 in city and enjoyed driving it. No clue about high way driving. Drove a friends Swift VDi for 80 kms on highway. It was fun. Ritz reason mentioned above.

Quote:
Nothing to worry, about the diesel maintenance, if the servicing of petrol vehicle app cost. 2200 to 2500 per service, diesel vehicle costs you 3200-3500/-.
Diesel Spares are costly than pertol only in hundreds may not be a heart breaking figures.
The above figures are set of an example,may vary from servicing to servicing.

As you mentioned the difference in price of 60 -70K for a diesel vehicle than a petrol one can be achieved when the vehicle is used extensively.
The more miles you churn out, faster you can achieve the break-even-point of petrol vs diesel.
Hope there is a thread exists in our forum.

If you use very sparingly and clock only below 1000km per month then stay away from diesel.
My driving varies a lot month to month. but average driving is 1200 kms. On certain months it exceeds over 1500 kms. 1200 is minimum. Average 40 kms a day in and around city limits. Long distance once a month.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I already have a Wagon R and dont prefer another tall boy in the family. Plus it isnt going to be my car only, going to be used by mom and wifey too and both rejected Ritz. So i had narrowed down on SWIFT. Test drove i20. Loved the car. Fiat GP not driven yet.

Jazz is out of question for us. I personally dont find it VFM. Not saying its not a good car. But over priced. I test drove the i20 in city and enjoyed driving it. No clue about high way driving. Drove a friends Swift VDi for 80 kms on highway. It was fun. Ritz reason mentioned above.

My driving varies a lot month to month. but average driving is 1200 kms. On certain months it exceeds over 1500 kms. 1200 is minimum. Average 40 kms a day in and around city limits. Long distance once a month.
I20 is a very good for city driving, also would be reliable for the ladies to drive. It has gizmos of features C+ segment car.
It’s fresh with new looks & interiors. if your budget permits you can go-in.
But not a good high way performer tends to loose control after 80.If you pimp it with alloys, this problem would be solved.

Swift-ZXI/VDI: this stick to the road very neatly (I’ve confidently taken this to 140 with stock JK’s tires).there is nothing to write home.

Had enough of maruthi in your stable, why not try Hyundai this time.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I20 is a very good for city driving, also would be reliable for the ladies to drive. It has gizmos of features C+ segment car.
It’s fresh with new looks & interiors. if your budget permits you can go-in.
But not a good high way performer tends to loose control after 80.If you pimp it with alloys, this problem would be solved.

Swift-ZXI/VDI: this stick to the road very neatly (I’ve confidently taken this to 140 with stock JK’s tires).there is nothing to write home.

Had enough of maruthi in your stable, why not try Hyundai this time.
very nicely put. Mom drove the i20 and the swift and she liked the i20 cuz it gave her a roomy feeling where as she found her self cramped in swift. i know its mainly pshycological. the thing with maruti is they are very much reliable. I used to own a tata indigo in past. only diesel owned by u in last 7 years, but i never actually drove it much since i was away when v had tht car so confused between diesel and petrol. if petrol, i may end up with ZXi and diesel VDi Swift. GP i am not too sure about tata-fiat service. Else I love FIAT. learned to drive on a FIAT UNO.

i20 is a little out of budget. but not able to decide if that stretch is worth or not considering we have a cedia which we got only last year which we normally use for long family drives. I guess another round at each showrooms may solve this confusion.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 22nd June 2009 at 17:13. Reason: missed statement
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with Mr. Ramsagar. There is a huge demand for the latest versions of diesel engine nowadays. They are more powerful and fuel efficient than the comparable petrol engines.
I drive a petrol Swift though, as I was wary of the poor historical reputation of diesel engines. My first car was an Indica diesel and so you can imagine.
The mileage that I get in city is 16 kmpl and a little higher in the highways. My driving pattern is similar to yours.....about 1200 kms per month and my vehicle hasn't gone into 2nd servicing as yet. So I hope, the efficiency will only increase.
Petrol engines make for noise-less interiors.
By the way, check out the Indica Vista Quadrajet too ( or Safire, if you prefer petrol). I really liked the car. This one from TATA will be a super-hit on the market.
Blwetorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
Would you be needing A/T for the city or are you ok with M/T? Because the Ritz doesn't have an A/T option and it is probably the first car that you will be dropping from this list. The Swift is fun to drive and shares its platform with the Ritz but is so popular that you'll be one among the crowd. Is image important to you?

Check out the Grand Punto as well, based on the papers today the base price is just under 5L. But I agree with Parm above, A Hyundai would be a better bet than these considering their build quality and A.S.S. . So my vote goes for the i20, a tad underpowered but loaded with features and is the most comfortable of the lot.

Any reasons why you didn't consider the Indica Vista?
I just totally fail to see the LOGIC in this post.

You state that whether he wants AT or MT, caz if AT than Ritz is off the list *FIRST* presumably as it doesnt have AT. Fine so far.... but all the other cars in the list DONT have AT as well... so why single out RITZ???

Or maybe and missing something care to englighten me?
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote