Hyundai i20 Petrol 1.2 104 14.46%
Fiat Punto Petrol 1.2 6 0.83%
Fiat Punto Petrol 1.4 77 10.71%
Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3 Diesel 345 47.98%
Hyundai i20 CRDi 1.4 Diesel 187 26.01%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th January 2014, 20:47   #181

Smile Re: Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added

Hello gentleman. My first post here. Recently drove the Punto 90hp emotion and the i20 crdi sportz. Currently driving a Beat petrol and looking to upgrade to a diesel car as my travel would be significant in my new job. Some factors I was looking out for in the new car are:
  • I am 6'2. Wanted a car with good thigh support else have to push the driver seat all the way back. Hence, no one could sit behind me
  • Powerful engine. Hate the black smoke coming out when a small diesel motor is pushed hard
  • Light clutch for city traffic
  • Reasonably fun to drive

Some points I noticed for i20 Sportz:
  • Does not have the seat height adjuster. Asta variant has but is 50k more expensive for features which I do not even need like auto wipers and headlamps
  • Asked SA if Asta driver's seat could be fixed in Sportz. Firm NO
  • Refined and powerful engine. Quite silent
  • Steering is a mess. Feels like a boat. My Beat hydraulic unit is miles ahead in terms of feel
  • Quite spacious and interior quality though boring, is of good quality

For the Punto 90hp Emotion:
  • Looks awesome. Period
  • Is around 50k cheaper than i20 Sportz after discounts
  • Like the strong build quality and steering feel
  • Really cramped in terms of space and low seats. The height adjuster is the weirdest of all. It just lifts the back part of the seat! You end up slipping from the seat if you raise it too high. Even asked the SA if it could be fixed. Said NO
  • The yellow back lighting is preferrred over the blue backlighting of i20
  • Engine is a lot noisier and felt less powerful than the i20
  • The gearbox was no where as smooth as the i20's

Now I am stuck in a heart v/s head battle. Loved the gorgeous look and feel of the Punto but my head says go for the i20. Any help or suggestion is most welcome
racer_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 08:12   #182
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
Now I am stuck in a heart v/s head battle. Loved the gorgeous look and feel of the Punto but my head says go for the i20.
@racer 7,

This debate has been there since 2009 when the thread was first started. Looking at the poll results the hands down winner is the Punto 1.3 MJD. Its the car with the national engine. Agreed that the under thigh support is glaringly missing but the drive and the handling makes such issues seem trivial. Punto doenst tick the first & third parameters of your requirement but it makes up with the segment leading handling abilities. Add to that tghe tank like feeling, low service intervals makes the Punto the best buy. To top it, there's a discount of almost a lakh off on the models. My suggestion buy Punto. Its a decision with a heart which the head will soon endorse.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 09:03   #183
Senior - BHPian

I also love the Punto for its incredibly stylish good looks.
We were in the market for a nice fully loaded hatch for my folks.
I did go to the Punto showroom in the IRR Bangalore. Extremely unhappy with the treatment and interest levels shown despite my being the only customer in the showroom at the time.
Am also concerned about potential service levels post purchase. Irrespective of how much they may have improved after going it alone, I am still carrying a mindset.
The Punto also seems completely bereft of features vis a vis the I20.
Hence we chose the I20. It is also a slightly larger and roomier car and my parents liked it a lot.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 09:18   #184
BHPian

Inspite of the handling disadvantage and relatively higher maintenance costs I would argue you to go for i20 crdi. Its still among the most balanced premium diesel hatches around.

Punto ofcourse offers you solid construction, communicative and brilliant suspension combination but other than that i20 CRDi has got the very balanced package.

Few things that didn't click with me for Fiat :
- Mjd feels quite underpowered and noisy when pushed. (nothing like the crdi or even the ddis)
- Peculiar driving position. Steering wheel is too close or the pedals are too far away. Either case it feels odd.
- Notchy gearbox. Especially the initial gears are.
- Headroom at rear is at premium.

The extra money you pay for hyundai gets to you back in the form of resale.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 09:47   #185
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added

Hi Racer 7,

I would suggest you to go for a Diesel Hyundai i20 Asta variant. The car is a fun to drive with best in class features. It is a complete hatchback in all respects. With Hyundai you can be rest assured with the after sale service network and your ownership experience will be full of delight.

Punto is equally a good product but the tag Fiat in India is a gamble. I am of the opinion that when you are making a buying decision, the comfort level of owing a car should be of paramount importance. With Hyundai this is assured while with Fiat you may end up doing a lot of running around in and out of service centers with respect to overall maintenance.

Our primary objective of buying a car should be to enjoy the drive and comfort of owning it and not to be running behind dealers and keeping the car parked at workshop for days due to want of spares and claiming warranty.

GTO's initial review of Hyundai i20 are very well detailed and it can be considered as an endorsement if you plan to buy one.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 21:31   #186

Red face Re: Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added

Dear Shankar, Turbo kicks and mints. Thanks for your opinion. Ghodlur I am sorry but I think I will go with the i20 primarily because of the below reasons.

Went for another test drive today. Tried both Punto 90hp and i20 CRDI. Some points:

- The Fiat website I checked today morning had one dealer less than I checked last month!. There used to be Kashyap, Tuli and Thrust motors in the list and now Tuli is off. They had quoted the best prices when I spoke to them last month. Guess they were trying to clear off the inventory. Gave me the heebie jeebies in the morning

- Went for the Punto test drive to Thrust motors on Najafgarh road. The SA I had spoken to earlier had left the job and a new guy with no idea of Punto 90hp started interacting with me. Poor fellow had to refer to the catalog again and again to answer my questions. The showroom also had a very sad look to it and could not find any customer there other than me. Felt things were just falling apart. Nevertheless I soldiered on without any of the above bothering me too much.

- This time I took my father along for the test drive and made him sit behind me so that I could check how much rear leg space is left when I am at the drivers seat. I am 6'2 and my father is 5'11. He just could not get into the back seat! I had to push my seat all the way back else my under thighs get tired very quickly due to the absence of thigh support

- The car, as usual felt great to drive but somehow the overall experience was not feeling complete. Could not pin point my finger to anything in particular though. Could be the notchy gearbox, the cramped footwell or the noisy engine. Don't know.

- Then went to the Hyundai showroom bang across the road. Pleasant ambiance with energetic and knowledgeable SA's around. Were a little over critical of competition which I did not like but overall a good experience.

- During the test drive I noticed how much more comfortable and refined the i20 was. It felt like I had crossed a whole decade while crossing the road!. Make no mistake the Punto felt macho and fun but the i20 felt so much more relaxing and easy to drive and live with.

I guess I am more of a fat lazy bum who loves sitting on his lazyboy all day rather than a macho adventure seeking alpha male going to Leh at the drop of a hat!

Booking the i20 tomorrow. Punto will always be that lovely Vegas trip which though tremendous fun but a pain to live with everyday.

P.S.: The 2013 stock of i20 is being offered to me at a cool 7.80 lacs on road after discounts. The Punto was coming to 7.5 as quoted by one of the dealers for 2013 stock

Watch this space for my first review!
racer_7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 06:48   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
felt macho and fun but the i20 felt so much more relaxing and easy to drive and live with. I guess I am more of a fat lazy bum who loves sitting on his lazyboy all day rather than a macho adventure seeking alpha male going to Leh at the drop of a hat! Booking the i20 tomorrow. Punto will always be that lovely Vegas trip which though tremendous fun but a pain to live with everyday. P.S.: The 2013 stock of i20 is being offered to me at a cool 7.80 lacs on road after discounts. The Punto was coming to 7.5 as quoted by one of the dealers for 2013 stock Watch this space for my first review!

Yes I agree. Its nice to have the macho image but at the end of the day as we get older and more rotund, all we want to do is to drive about our business in reasonable comfort and luxury without having to go through crappy service and other iffybits.
We chose the I 20 because it is for my parents and I cant have my dad being subjected to the vagaries of bad service at his stage in life.
They need comfort. It is my job to provide that as best as I can.
Did you finally book the I20 Diesel Asta or Asta (O)? Or the top spec Petrol Asta (O) or the AT?
Asking because in Madras, for the 2013 model I20 Asta Petrol, we got a very decent price off of around 70K plus a very good valuation for our old car which is buzzing off in exchange.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 20:42   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I agree. Its nice to have the macho image but at the end of the day as we get older and more rotund, all we want to do is to drive about our business in reasonable comfort and luxury without having to go through crappy service and other iffybits.
We chose the I 20 because it is for my parents and I cant have my dad being subjected to the vagaries of bad service at his stage in life.
They need comfort. It is my job to provide that as best as I can.
Did you finally book the I20 Diesel Asta or Asta (O)? Or the top spec Petrol Asta (O) or the AT?
Asking because in Madras, for the 2013 model I20 Asta Petrol, we got a very decent price off of around 70K plus a very good valuation for our old car which is buzzing off in exchange.
Hi Shankar. I booked the i20 CRDI Sportz
Old 20th January 2014, 06:29   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shankar. I booked the i20 CRDI Sportz

Am very happy for you. And wish you all the best.
Just a small query. Why not go for the Asta? Which gives you at least 2 airbags and abs etc.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 07:04   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Am very happy for you. And wish you all the best.
Just a small query. Why not go for the Asta? Which gives you at least 2 airbags and abs etc.
Thanks Shankar. Well, I went to the showroom to book the Asta. Wanted the seat height adjust and the airbag. The problem is the price difference was 50k!. Hyundai had added some features like push button start, auto headlamps etc. Which I didn't need. Also, they didn't have 2013 stock for the Asta making it around a lac more expensive than my current purchase.
Old 20th January 2014, 07:12   #191
BHPian

Dear racer_7, Shankar is right here, you should have booked the Asta variant. It is quipped with safety features and has a push button start. The car is among the best cars one can think of owning. I think Shankar has also booked an i20 asta.

Finally, which colour you choose and what was the discount offered?

Best wishes
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 10:47   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Dear racer_7, Shankar is right here, you should have booked the Asta variant.
=========
Best wishes
Hi mints. Have booked silver colour as it was the only one available in 2013 stock. Wanted the bronze colour though. Looks super slick, Got a discount of 35k compared to fresh stock.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:32   #193
VMB
BHPian

i20 is a good car but no match to the drivability of Punto. Especially the stability it offers on highways which makes you feel safe too.
VMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 01:34   #194
BHPian

Ah the age old dilemma. I had this very same query in my mind and wasn't getting any conclusive answer after asking a lot of people. The two options I had was the i20 CRDi Sportz and the 90HP Diesel Punto.

So I did this short test of my own. I prioritized my requirements and analysed each aspect:

1. Safety - My most important priority was safety and good performance.

Euro NCAP gave both the Punto and the i20 5 stars in their crash tests. The i20 had just 1 airbag and didn't have a rear wiper/washer and a seat height adjuster.

Plus the Punto felt much much better while braking than the i20 inspite of the latter having all 4 disc brakes.

2. Driving manners - Light steering with no feedback on the i20, I've suffered enough with the i10 already. The Punto felt amazing in this aspect too. The ride, handling, stability was miles ahead of the i20.

3. After Sales Service - Sharayu Hyundai in Navi Mumbai provided me impeccable service for my i10 over 5 years. I did a lot of research and found out that a couple of Fiat service centers are doing a decent job in my city.

4. Features - The i20 was loaded with a lot of helpful and many unwanted features but had some glaring emissions like DTE, Real time Mileage indicator, rear wiper/washer, passenger airbag etc. Likewise, the Punto lacked a rear parking sensor/camera and a half decent HU(no aux).

Since the Punto ticked the first two boxes, and wasn't too bad wrt the last two, I decided to go for the 90HP Punto.

Selecting between these two wonderful cars was in the end completely reliant on my priorities and I advice everyone who has the same dilemma to do the same. Check your primary requirements and see which one fits the bill.

Either way, you'll be landing up with a beautiful car, so there's no regret.
AbhishekE is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote