Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2009, 23:04   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
1.3MJD is clear winner for you. Dont need to to look anywhere else.
Yes it'll be a tad costlier to maintain but it gives better fuel efficiency, check fiat's site for PDF which has cost of all the spares, and service parts for Linea diesel it'll be same for punto. NVH is definately more but it has settled to quite minimal after the run in period as per everyone.
It doesnt make a difference if you dont use a either of the cars for 3-4 months. In around 5 years you will reach a break even point for price difference of 60K, But keeping the price aside, there is no point buying petrol punto as it lacks both pickup and mileage. If 60K is not a very handsome amount for you then go with MJD.
I have driven 1.4 for 30KMS trust me it lacks the pickup it has next to no pickup Unless you press the accelerator hard, which am not used to. Driving my 97 esteem was exhilirating after driving 1.4 punto this is one major reason am choosing GP 1.3 though even its also same pickup wise but the torque is little more.

FE will always differ from city to city in delhi we usually get good FE, because we have wide roads, let fellow bangy's comment on that part.

You should go for Punto 1.3 as it has good mileage and diesel is cheaper. The engine is proven.
Simplest way to improve mileage in Bangalore, is to start early for work, and leave early. Then work from home. This is a trick I found to be the most effective. I know its off topic, but yes, it really helps.

You can almost end up seeing a highway like driving conditions !
Old 20th October 2009, 14:42   #77
BHPian

@Sam: No info about long run Maintenance/resale. Regarding bumper to bumper driving, how about taking a test drive of both the cars and decide yourself?

MJD owners are experiencing silent engine after some km's. 1.4 (even the EPack) don't come with any sound deading material, still the noise is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
9. With about 600km monthly run - Will 1.3 MJD justify as the price diff is about 60k between them.
Nope, it will not justify but then sometimes you got to keep the money aspect on side and think what your heart is beating for.

Quote:
10. Lastly What about the feel behind the wheel of an 1.3 MJD or 1.4 Fire Punto. - which is better
They both have different feelings. MJD is all about torque and lots of it. Once the turbo%2

Quote:
Now engine may be damn refined but i dont like taking my car over 3K rpm for engine's life and less fuel efficiency. The torque not being in that range is a let down.
No offence but if you are going to drive a car outside its powerband and say it lacks performance, I don't think the car is bad.

Last edited by nav75 : 20th October 2009 at 14:49.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:26   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
No offense anyone but do you drive one ? I think it need 10 days to get used to power of this engine and then its very peppy and fast.
I drive my friends Linea quite regularly.
For the Fuel average I have post once in Linea V/S City thread and can't do it again but let you that under testing condition it gave 23.3 kmpl, if you call this is not fuel efficient then what is ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Fiat engines are not as free revving as the Jap small petrols, so no comparison there. You just need to be willing to use the throttle a bit more than the japs, and then you get performance. No point in saying that I like to drive a car under 3k rpm and so this is a dud. You are better off in an MJD, then.

I have driven 1.4 punto for 30kms in delhi and took it on ring road, for a long run and my usual drive from metro to home. Its nothing you cant adjust with. I was pressing almost half of the accelerator most of the time, and the needle was going till 4K. I was happy after i got out of the car. But the problem started when i drove my esteem immediately after that, I pressed the accelerator half as i was still not out of punto's way of driving and it was exhilirating. Well to me it was then that i got quite turned off.

Now the much i have heard till now about cars ( I can be wrong) is that its best to drive the car till 3K RPM for engine's life and to extract best fuel efficiency, I never said its less fuel efficient but isnt it written in manual to not take the car over 3K RPM, in my i10's manual it was mentioned somewhere. Hence my argument of 3K RPM, not that i wont like taking it beyond that.

One more question i wanted to ask friends here. Are Linea diesel and Punto Diesel engine and turbo wise same? Or is there in difference in turbo boost of both engines?
Old 20th October 2009, 16:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Now the much i have heard till now about cars ( I can be wrong) is that its best to drive the car till 3K RPM for engine's life and to extract best fuel efficiency, I never said its less fuel efficient but isnt it written in manual to not take the car over 3K RPM, in my i10's manual it was mentioned somewhere. Hence my argument of 3K RPM, not that i wont like taking it beyond that.
That's because i10 (1.1L) makes max torque @ 2,800 rpm hence 3k figure given in i10's manual. The same won't apply for 1.4 who makes max torque @ 4,500 revs.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:29   #80
BHPian

Today I took test drive of Punto MJD and it was love at first sight and it gave me the pickup that i needed and longed for. Its a perfect city hatch. We are a perfect match and immediately booked the car. I love everything about the diesel hatch though its not as free revving as petrol is but still the torque at lower powerband is very nice. just perfect.
Cheers
Old 21st October 2009, 17:54   #81
BHPian

Thanks everyone for all the inputs. Priorities and choice of fuel types would surely differ from person to person. Appreciate everyone's responses. Yesterday I was discussing with two of my colleagues, one owns a safari diesel and another who owns a swift DDIS both advised to go for petrol instead, their reasoning was that they had to pay 7.5k to 9k at times after almost every 10k kms or so because of need of replacing filters etc. Diesel adultration happens a lot everywhere with kerosene being mixed even at good renowned bunks. So what one saves with good FE figures would eventually equate with extra maintenance costs unless monthly running is very high.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question i wanted to ask friends here. Are Linea diesel and Punto Diesel engine and turbo wise same? Or is there in difference in turbo boost of both engines?
Linea diesel gets a variable geometry turbo, while Punto gets a fixed geometry one. There maybe boost pressure differences as well, considering that Linea makes more power with the same engine.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:05   #83

Dear BHpians,
This is my first post in the elite forum. After going thourgh 60 odd quotes , I got all the calrifications a bout GP E+. I have decided to buy a GP E+ in the coming few days. Tq
Old 24th October 2009, 23:46   #84
BHPian

Congratulations will she be a MJD or a FIRE?
Old 25th October 2009, 00:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the inputs. Priorities and choice of fuel types would surely differ from person to person. Appreciate everyone's responses. Yesterday I was discussing with two of my colleagues, one owns a safari diesel and another who owns a swift DDIS both advised to go for petrol instead, their reasoning was that they had to pay 7.5k to 9k at times after almost every 10k kms or so because of need of replacing filters etc. Diesel adultration happens a lot everywhere with kerosene being mixed even at good renowned bunks. So what one saves with good FE figures would eventually equate with extra maintenance costs unless monthly running is very high.
I have used common rail diesels for lakhs of kms now, i never had to rush to a dealership because of bad diesel or some other reliability issue. Yes the cost of servicing is high due to the recommendation to change the fuel filter at every service but overall (from buying-operating-selling) a diesel works out cheaper with a big margin.
Old 26th October 2009, 00:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Finally I found the thread for which I joined TBHP! But still not sure which Punto to buy MJD or FIRE? Can anyone provide detailed information about ownership/maintainance cost MJD and FIRE Punto over say a years period or 20K KMS run?

Note: By the way I am equally confused as some of the fellow members on deciding between a Diesel or Petrol Punto which I am planning to buy by Feb-March 2010. I will be driving around 7200 KM's per year of which around 50% will be long trips of 1200 KM's to and from every 4 months.

People generally say that if the yearly running is less then 15K KM's one should go for Petrol. Is this theory stands for the modern day Diesel like MJD? As someone pointed out the difference between E+ Petrol and Diesel Punto is 60-65K.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:33   #87
BHPian

Hammerhead i went through the same issue of being unable to decide between the petrol and diesel punto. One of the members from PUG (Palio Users Group), suggested that i drive the punto diesel for a longer distance as i have never owned a diesel in my life before. He mentioned that this would enable me to make that decision based on my comfort with the diesel powertrain.

i called up prerana motors in bangalore and requested for a TD from my house to office along the usual route that i use. The distance of 14 kms i thought would provide me a key insight into how it would be to live with the car - the diesel engine - in day to day traffic conditions. This TD really opened my eyes to the world of diesel. i do enjoy a spirited drive on occasions and the diesel does leave you wanting a more peppy feel. i must also admit that the car does become a completely different animal post 2000 revs as all that 200 Nm of torque is available to you. But in the daily drive to office, its not often that i would want to take that engine beyond 2000 rpm to feel that surge in power and somehow i felt it just did not suit my driving characteristics.

So i got back home that evening and went back to prerana motors for the TD of the Petrol punto, the almost back to back experience did help me make up my mind to buy the petrol punto.

Hope this helps, you could try out something similar. Even though you would be commuting a lot on the highways, i think that 14kmpl from a petrol engine is a very respectable Fuel Efficiency figure. All this depends on how well the car suits you and your driving style and needs.

i Strongly recommend that you TD them back to back (petrol & Diesel) before you make that decision.

Cheers,
Old 26th October 2009, 12:54   #88

Quote:
Congratulations will she be a MJD or a FIRE?
Tq it would be MJD as I intend to travel a lot in the near future
Old 26th October 2009, 13:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Finally I found the thread for which I joined TBHP! But still not sure which Punto to buy MJD or FIRE? Can anyone provide detailed information about ownership/maintainance cost MJD and FIRE Punto over say a years period or 20K KMS run?

Note: By the way I am equally confused as some of the fellow members on deciding between a Diesel or Petrol Punto which I am planning to buy by Feb-March 2010. I will be driving around 7200 KM's per year of which around 50% will be long trips of 1200 KM's to and from every 4 months.

People generally say that if the yearly running is less then 15K KM's one should go for Petrol. Is this theory stands for the modern day Diesel like MJD? As someone pointed out the difference between E+ Petrol and Diesel Punto is 60-65K.

Hi hammer head welcome to TBHP. Well I went through the same confusion as you and as a matter of fact our running is also dot same. According to my calculations it will take us 5 years with the same running to reach breakeven point for price difference of 60K. Keeping in mind diesel gives average of 16 and petrol gives average of 12.
Five years is a long time, but why still I decided for Diesel because of following reason.
Petrol was priced at 6.10L and diesel at 6.7L before discounts, after the discounts I dont know exact about petrol but diesel's price dropped at 6.4L which made me atleast think of tding it once. I did that and loved the torquey engine the pickup is nice. Not that its a hooter but its just ideal for daily driving, Petrol i found quite sluggish even for daily driving though I was driving or was trying to drive at less than 4K RPM. Which many experts have pointed out was my mistake. On one occasion when I did drive it at 4KRPM, it took quite a lot of time to reach that 4K mark.
Thus difference of just 30K from what my budget was of 6.10L, along with better city drivability of diesel, better mileage, proven engine, better resale, cheaper diesel made it quite easy for me to choose a MJD.
Cheers.

PS : I found I20 better then the petrol punto for city driving. No offence ment.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 26th October 2009 at 13:31.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:44   #90
BHPian

Default Look at these calculations, if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Hi Hammerhead! Even I was under the same confusion but I have never driven a diesel before but with the cost difference of 60k and also the more popular MJD made me ponder for a while should i choose MJD over 1.4. MJD is surely a big hit in india and often BHpians term it as a national engine. Ofcourse FE is a big plus with MJD. So i did some calculation in a plain excel file to look at financial aspects (modified it myself but got it from some other thread).It all depends on how much one drives.You can tweak as per your info on realistic figures.
All in all MJD will save you money after few years of driving.But MJD owners will argue that during resale one would surely get back more for MJD and also save some moolah on FE numbers. But again if FE and money saved were that big a concern we wouldn't go for a premium hatch at the first place right. FE of 1.4 seems to be reasonable if not great like MJD, BTW someone on a Linea 1.4 clocked 22 kmpl check that thread too.

I TD'ed both and felt the NVH levels of diesel to be a bit higher, and over years it surely going to be more noticeable. I know its arguable.

MJD is torquey, just a dab on the gas pedal and you can feel it, While 1.4 is smooth and has linear acceleration.

MJD will surely be more costly to maintain than a 1.4, but save money with good FE.On the long run they will eventually equate or maybe MJD will be cheaper.Entirely depends on number of kms thou.

I drove only gaoline cars for 3 years in the US, And in US Diesel is not popular in cars.So I was thinking why not diesel for a change but decided to stick to petrol instead, With my kind of commuting need I thought Petrol will suffice.
And the occasional higway drive should give decent FE as well.
Bottomline take TD of both and decide depending on your approx monthly running.
Closed Thread