Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 8th July 2009, 15:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Havee you been to the Fiat showroom yet? If not, I suggest you do that asap. They may make the decision for you, like they did for me. I went in with a cheque book to book the Palio SDX (first) and then again once to book the Punto. Both times, they didn't seem to want to sell me a car. I went to Hyundai, felt like a King and will be taking delivery of my Getz CRDi this week.
We need to stop generalizing. My expereince was totally opposite. Me and a fellow member went to Sharayu Hyundai and were treated like we had walked in disturbing the sales guy. He almost sounded irritated at having to talk to us! In comparision, Fiat's two showrooms were like a breath of fresh air.

What I have noticed is that people expect 7 star treatment from Fiat but are willing to be treated like dirt at other dealerships.

As for the topic being discussed, I think it's better to go for the Punto. The Getz is totally outdated now.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 17:26   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Punto. Just because it has airbags and abs and ebd. They are life savers. Afterall life is more important than cars........
aaahhaaa!! Punto haan? for it has air bags and abs with ebd!! cool man.man you must be wearing a helmet while driving in a car .right? afterall its a life asver and also does not costa fortune.
you seriously think these will save you if u really dont know how to drive!! sensible drivers have retiered and having a siesta after driving for there whole life,ofcourse without this stuff!
well there is still a big debate over abs with ebd, cars with or without ebd hardly have a difference in stoping distance in dry conditions,google search and you will have plenty of info from some of the very trusted authors and gurus.in MUD,slush,gravel,sandy tarmac and ice people are better off without abs,because abs prevents forming of the wedge of loose gravel/mud in front of tyre

its true afterall isnt it? HISTORY REPEATS!

people have been crying for the past whole decade about FIAT *** and part quality,availability.
yet again pushing someone to buy a fiat product.yet again they give FIAT another chance to cause sleepless nights. guess we havent learnt from experience at all!
moreover if punto was way better than a GETZ CRDI,or I20(i mean if it was totally off the scale) then one would have thought ,okie wht the heck if Fiat sucks atleast I am getting a "OFF the scale" car!

Punto! ohh comeone!! such a mediocre car! dont talk about air bags and EBD ,they are not for base model,which is comparable to GETZ price,with this stuff the price overshoots GETS CRDI by too much to digest, and what do you get,a mediocre engine(if compared to GETS CRDI),fit and finish to make maruti think they are doing good. and a trunk full of question mark about service and others!!
compare mano-a-mano
GETZ would beat punto on all counts
except for fuel efficiency where GETZ would be pretty close to PUNTO(remember the extra power and torque GETZ make) even after making hell lot of extra power,and very linear torque from 1700 rpm itself.
now I20 crdi would beat punto on that count also,even after making extra power!

well city driving is a breaze in GETZ crdi,slot it in 3rd,and you would struggle to remember when did you last change the gear in city traffic. its like 20-100 with no problems in 3rd gear itself,torque !!! dont talk about that at all.please i dont want to make you feel low!
on a Highway,even two puntos tied together with modi thread would not come close to it!
people often talk about cornering abilities,just because some paper tigers writeup in some car & bike mag! about cornering abilities.
do you think you would be subjecting your family to 3G forces on corners,or would you be tarmac racing in your city.
In daily life,a family guy with some GREY matter would never be taking 90* turns in city at 90kmph!!so what cornering abilities are you talking about?
family cars, what matters is,torque in lower range,linear torque within a respectable range,and good enough BHP.
Fit and finish,aftersales,engine,interior space etc are all in favour of getZ or I20
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 17:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
aaahhaaa!! Punto haan? for it has air bags and abs with ebd!! cool man.man you must be wearing a helmet while driving in a car .right? afterall its a life asver and also does not costa fortune.
you seriously think these will save you if u really dont know how to drive!! sensible drivers have retiered and having a siesta after driving for there whole life,ofcourse without this stuff!
well there is still a big debate over abs with ebd, cars with or without ebd hardly have a difference in stoping distance in dry conditions,google search and you will have plenty of info from some of the very trusted authors and gurus.in MUD,slush,gravel,sandy tarmac and ice people are better off without abs,because abs prevents forming of the wedge of loose gravel/mud in front of tyre

its true afterall isnt it? HISTORY REPEATS!
Amazing post! I wonder why Hyundai is putting ABS in i20 then? Maybe to kill it's buyers?!

Quote:
Punto! ohh comeone!! such a mediocre car!
And Getz is what? A car equal to Ferrari?

Quote:
fit and finish to make maruti think they are doing good.
This whole talk about fit and finish in Punto and Linea has gone too far and is beginning to get irritating now. It's not as bad as it's being made out to be. Or maybe since there isn't much to fault these cars with people harp on poor plastics.

What I have noticed is that people expect Bentley levels of quality from a 5 lakh rupee Fiat and are ready to get into unending compromise with other 8 Lakh+ cars. I have never understood this attitude.

Quote:
people often talk about cornering abilities,just because some paper tigers writeup in some car & bike mag! about cornering abilities.
do you think you would be subjecting your family to 3G forces on corners,or would you be tarmac racing in your city.
In daily life,a family guy with some GREY matter would never be taking 90* turns in city at 90kmph!!so what cornering abilities are you talking about?
family cars, what matters is,torque in lower range,linear torque within a respectable range,and good enough BHP.
Neither does a family guy (or any guy) do 0-100 kmph runs. A 75bhp Punto is good enough for that isnt it? Why bother with 110bhp then? Besides, where in India can you do over 120kmph consistantly and safely? Even on the expressway, it's scary to go over that speed.

There can be countless arguements for and against power, features, ABS, Airbags, handling etc etc.
Old 8th July 2009, 18:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

@Amit... cool down bro... sometimes the best you can do is to leave the post alone. All that gibberish isnt even worth replying
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 18:30   #50
BANNED

Hyundai is putting ABS because it sells there product! and people buy it for newer technology and added safety.
but i guess here we were discussing GETz and punto base version,firstoff all you wont get air bags and abs in base diesel model.would you?
the both cars stand on almost equal price,may be getz a lil bit lower.
.also getz crdi would surely equal a ferrari if we are talking about ferraries within 6l price range. are we not?
0-100kmph in 11.2 secs,swift takes 14(being lighter than punto)
60-120 in 12 secs. punto takes more than 17 secs from 60-120
Beat that punto.
a normal family guy will surely be overtaking on highways,and with mindblowing figures of accleration even above 80kmph,overtaking and taking a place on busy highway becomes a playschool lesson. a normal family guy will surely be driving in city, torque comes handy.

why would you not want 110 BHP and mamoth 240 torque at just 1750rpm,instead of 75bhp..at the same price or even lesses with proven platform,proven manufacturer,proven sales service,and ofcourse a Tag of most powerfull hot hatch in the country. why would you simply pay someone for 75 bhp(whole 60% less than getz),with more weight,and sales service of TATA!,cramped interiors,lower plastic quality(as compared to getz and i20 ) when you can have much more.
a family guy might not want a 0-100 run.but higher BHP isnt only about 0-100,its about ease of pick up in any situation,be it city or highway, having extra power dnst meant you always have to go above 120 all the time.
and trust me,if you are paying for a car,power is never enough,so 75 bhp isnt enough if you can get 110 for the same dough!
Old 8th July 2009, 19:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai is putting ABS because it sells there product! and people buy it for newer technology and added safety.
So Hyundai is putting ABS even though it maybe a potential risk to the lives of people just because ignorant people swayed by swanky terms like ABS want it? And did you just say added safety there? A few posts back you said ABS is of no use and doesn't add to safety much!

Quote:
a normal family guy will surely be overtaking on highways,and with mindblowing figures of accleration even above 80kmph,overtaking and taking a place on busy highway becomes a playschool lesson. a normal family guy will surely be driving in city, torque comes handy.
Wouldn't that same family guy need better handling too? What if a cow or goat or worse a human being darts across the road? Superior handling will save you and his life wouldnt it? Maybe if you are in a Punto you will live, and if you are in your powerful Getz, you may either kill him or yourself?

Quote:
proven platform,proven manufacturer,proven sales service,and ofcourse a Tag of most powerfull hot hatch in the country.
And the Punto platform is not proven? Fiat is not a proven manufacturer? Yea, go on say that you were referring in the Indian context now.

Quote:
why would you simply pay someone for 75 bhp(whole 60% less than getz),with more weight,and sales service of TATA!,cramped interiors,lower plastic quality(as compared to getz and i20 ) when you can have much more.
For a better platform, superior handling and ride quality etc etc. If power is what decides sales then GTX would be selling the maximum.

There we go with plastic quality again!

Quote:
and trust me,if you are paying for a car,power is never enough,so 75 bhp isnt enough if you can get 110 for the same dough!
What is power without control? What is power without ABS and other safety features?

Like I said there can be endless arguements over these things. Lets continue .
Old 8th July 2009, 19:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Honestly this is becoming more and more irritating.
Any thread you pick up with Fiat name mentioned and the bashing is going on.
Guys atleast stay on the topic of the thread.

IMO Punto is quiet a VFM car and thats why i am contemplating buying it(choice is between i20 crdi and punto mjd).
We know the pros and cons of both getz crdi and punto mjd.
Whichever suits you best just pick it up.
If you are not a bhp freak Punto may suit you up perfectly as i believe in always buying the latest product. Do a TD of both and make up your mind.
cheers!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 19:36   #53
BANNED

okie .i am game.lets continue.
i provide you exact facts and figures for the ups of getz/i20 and hyundai(aslo source of the data)

you provide me data related to better handling/stoping distance and your other so called safety features.

vaise i already mentioned we were talking about getz crdi and punto base diesel models on this side of 6l,was it not understood that i am talking about fiat india?? and there so called proven paltform

and gtx (again a FIAT) could not be sold for simple reason,it has absolutely horrifying afetr sales support,moreover while introducing GTX FIAT india thgt it was making the smartest move,however market at the time of its introduction was simply not mature enough to actually undrestand a hot hatch. proof(failed miserably)

Last edited by dustom_99 : 8th July 2009 at 19:39.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:48   #54
BHPian

Since each person is a fan of some product we try to demean its competitors. Here we must understand none of the cars sold in India are bad. All are kind of 19/20(unnis bees).

So as Harry said buy which you like more according to your driving preferences and which would give you peace of mind.

My suggestion - Getz CRDi, since I own the petrol hatch I am in love with it except for its not so good mileage. I hardly get 10.5-11 kmpl in city. I did achieve 13 but I do not like that kind of sedate driving.
Coming back to the topic, Getz CDRi would give a cool 14 kmpl and as some of the member here say that handling of getz is an issue. I would say they are wrong. GETZ has no handling issue or drivebility problems. Infact at higher speed I feel betterdriving it. Higher speed means above 80 kmph. I have gone upto 145 kmph and never felt shaky. And I know Getz Crdi has the same body as mine, petrol so it would be more or less same with added bhp. Build quality is good too.There is no lack of space and interiors are nice. A.S.S. is quite outstanding(Bangalore - Advaith).

I have test driven punto and it is nice too but it is less spacious than getz and are for people who doesnt like speed. I mean its not underpowered but you would gradually pickup unlike the getz crdi monster. Interiors are good in punto and looks are fine too.

So you have the choice to decide according to your need and style.
shuvadips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 20:33   #55
BANNED

lot of people often make up a remark about handling of getz crdi,just because verna crdi had a super soft suspension and was pitching a lot at high speeds,since motor is carried from verna,hence the disbelief! Most certainly they havent tamed the beast yet.
i agree almost all the cars in a perticular segment would be more or less same( 19/20) in almost all counts(int space,FE,VFM,handling etc)
but since people asked which is the ferrari,i told them so!

moreover when a car is clearly 20(bees) in almost all the fields(except punto being new to market),with same money to spend,why not the bees one

yes family guys and as a matter of fact everyone needs handling too,but do you think handling between these two cars is so many miles apart??

The so called handling king swift was put up against getz in a tarmac and gravel showdown by B S motoring. http://www.idrive.in/tech/framed/die...esel-Getz-Crdi
Tests - Getz, set, go - Business Standard Motoring
the getz opened up a huge gap right at the start,and although swift was a little better at corners,Getz was not too bad either in there show at corners,the gap that opned at the start was maintained by getz over the entire course of corners and hairpin bends,suggesting that getz is no bargainer. and plaese now dont tell me punto is beating swift's handling by miles.
so when your pretty Goat or famous cow or something else comes on suddenly on the road, both will be alive if you have your eyes open,and hands on the stearing wheel in either of the car be it Getz or punto,in all other cases someones gonna get hurt!

also i dont think an average consumer would buy a vehicle thinking about the sudden appearence of someone on an open road,my guess is,he would be more concernd about 1.Manufacturer 2.looks 3. VFm 4. FE 5. Performance 6. interior space ect.
i dont know what kind of man would think if he will kill a goat with it or not while making a purchase???

Last edited by dustom_99 : 8th July 2009 at 20:44.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:45   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

dustom_99 ; For the handling i suggest one thing take your getz , swift to 120(whatever you are comfortable with ) to the left most lane on a three/two lane highway and just turn the steering with half turn or full turn as much as you can have courage for and try controlling the turn when you reach the right most lane and bang the brakes then .Repeat this with a punto and you will know why Fiat makes great handling cars in both dynamics and chassis in comparison to your Swift or Getz.

I have done this test with a ANHC and I20 and Punto and was amazed in the saftey / confidence Punto inspires in the driver .And i hope once Fiat gets the sales rolling they will launch true limited editions to keep the enthusiast saying "I drive a soul by the name of FIAT and other drive a car".

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 8th July 2009 at 23:54.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 00:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
dustom_99 ; For the handling i suggest one thing take your getz , swift to 150 to the left most lane on a three/two lane highway and just turn the steering with half turn or full turn as much as you can have courage for and try controlling the turn when you reach the right most lane and bang the brakes then .Repeat this with a punto and you will know why Fiat makes great handling cars in both dynamics and chassis in comparison to your Swift or Getz.

I have done this test with a ANHC and I20 and Punto and was amazed in the saftey / confidence Punto inspires in the driver .And i hope once Fiat gets the sales rolling they will launch true limited editions to keep the enthusiast saying "I drive a soul by the name of FIAT and other drive a car".
+1 to the above. I had such an experience with my Palio in Mumbai.

There is a sharp right turn at the crest of a flyover after Sion going towards the Pune expressway. I was in the 2nd lane and a ANHC was in the right lane. Both of us were going at a decent pace and I overtook him before that absolute killer of a turn. I dropped a gear and tucked into the turn. My Palio kept to it's lane (ok - it did clip the lane markers on the right), no tyre squeal, no drama, nothing - the car just went where I pointed. The ANHC however was to my left by the time we came out of that turn and struggled to keep its line. This happens every time I take the Palio out on to the highways, guys with great acceleration on the straights lose out to the Palio every time the road has turns and curves. The Fiat just soaks up the bumps and pot holes without losing its line and takes corners without slowing down. The 1.6 on a twisty hilly road is pure driving pleasure.

This handling charecterstic seems to be a hallmark of Fiat. If the Punto too handles anything like that, few other cars in the world can come close in the relevant price bracket.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 9th July 2009 at 00:09.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 00:08   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

1.)Are you saying Hyundai is better manufacturer of cars / engines compared to Fiat .
2.)Look wise both are great !20/ Punto but Getz is totally outdated .Also if you have noticed the crease in side of I20 will be a pain on pocket if it gets bent as very difficult to dent it in purfect shape again.
3.)VFM : With getz you get a engine only in a car which was never meant for it .With I20 it is very expensive comapred to Punto .
4.)FE : Anshuman on this forum has a punto and is getting 21kmpl in city .
I wonder will Getz even think about competing . I20 we do not know.
5.) Performance :How often do you go above 120-140 kmph or a 0-100 kmph .Punto would esily go above that and since it handles so well it is not surprising you feel it is driving slowly but in reality it is not.
6.)Interior Space : Punto space is not much in a 4mt hatch but it is more than enough .have a look at the thread for space in cars below 25lacs.

And no body wants to kill a goat or kill themselves that is why from drum we made discs than ABS than EBD than Brake Assists and many other technologies .

Accidents happen because we are just not able to keep are eyes open sometimes .having a car with great safety features helps us in knowing if we make a mistake we will be safe .

Regards

Peace

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 9th July 2009 at 00:10.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 09:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
We need to stop generalizing. My expereince was totally opposite. Me and a fellow member went to Sharayu Hyundai and were treated like we had walked in disturbing the sales guy. He almost sounded irritated at having to talk to us! In comparision, Fiat's two showrooms were like a breath of fresh air.

What I have noticed is that people expect 7 star treatment from Fiat but are willing to be treated like dirt at other dealerships.

As for the topic being discussed, I think it's better to go for the Punto. The Getz is totally outdated now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
1.)
And no body wants to kill a goat or kill themselves that is why from drum we made discs than ABS than EBD than Brake Assists and many other technologies .

Accidents happen because we are just not able to keep are eyes open sometimes .having a car with great safety features helps us in knowing if we make a mistake we will be safe .

Regards

Peace
@Amit - No generalizations at all mate!! Please do read - I quoted only my experience and said that it "may" make up his mind as well.

You are from mumbai, i am from Bangalore and the decision maker is in Chennai!! So, none of our dealer experiences count.

@TinT - Exactly! Safety features are not for the car owner to test out. It is for other morons on the road to test.
indigoedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 10:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes family guys and as a matter of fact everyone needs handling too,but do you think handling between these two cars is so many miles apart??
It is miles apart. If you don't want to accept it then there is nothing that anyone can say to make you see sense.

Quote:
dont tell me punto is beating swift's handling by miles.
Punto's handling is better then not just Swift but most cars twice as costly. Again, it's obvious you are looking at everything with 'Getz coloured lenses'. Your comparing it to Ferrari and various posts here is proof of that.

Quote:
so when your pretty Goat or famous cow or something else comes on suddenly on the road, both will be alive if you have your eyes open,and hands on the stearing wheel in either of the car be it Getz or punto,in all other cases someones gonna get hurt!
Princess Diana died in a S class. Oh sorry! I forgot your Getz is better then the S too. My apologies.

Quote:
i dont know what kind of man would think if he will kill a goat with it or not while making a purchase???
It's obvious you didn't understand why that statment was made so let's leave it at that .

And I don't know of any man that bought a Getz because it's 110bhp. That's why Swift outsells it 10:1 month after month!

Quote:
we were talking about getz crdi and punto base diesel models on this side of 6l,was it not understood that i am talking about fiat india?? and there so called proven paltform
Are you trying to say that the Punto platform in India is not the same as the Euro one?! For your information, the Punto platform is way better then the Getz one. Whether you like it or not that's the fact.

Yes, we are talking about base models which don't have ABS and Airbags. Despite that the Punto is a better product then the Getz.

Anyway, I am out of this ridiculous thread. I have put down my opinion out here on which car is better. Thread starter is smart enough to take his decision after going through everything here and after taking test drives.