Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 1st July 2005, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey navin

go for WagonR Automatic

I really don't know how can a 65+ year old couple would find Sail cramped.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 10:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

From what you've said, I think the Getz fits the bill perfectly. However I suggest waiting a bit as the prices are sure to fall soon.

Swift is just too small inside if your primary purpose is to chauffer the elderly in the rear seat.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 10:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Well you have two options Getz or the Viva. Viva will give you slightly bigger boot space, however getz will give you more passenger space. But since you are power hungry Viva is more suited.
As for the palio, great car no doubt, but their ASS can actually make you weep and curse the day you bought the car.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 11:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Getz over Swift? wow i never expected this.

We would only be cramped when we visit and there are 5 in the car (them 2 and us 3). 4 adults and 1 child. I would be driving when we visit. on most days they would be self driven.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 11:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
This might because you do not have any budgetary constrain. My guess is that if both Swift and Getz are priced even, Getz will steal the place in no time (correct me, if Iam wrong)

Swift is a nicely positioned car with almost catching the features at a low cost, which did the magic.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 11:35   #21
BHPian

Navin I would still say that if since you have the budget for a bigger car go for the Baleno. Its a marvellous piece of machinery both from inside as well as outside.
shobhit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 11:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is because Getz has huge space inside. More than Swift definitely, especially in rear. Swift is huge on outside, but not so huge inside. Enginewise, Getz has more contemporary engine, while Swift employs 11+ year old esteem engine (which is reliable). Ride quality of Getz is as good as Palio GTX(Palio 1.2 has better ride than 1.6). ASS of Fiat in Mumbai is supposedly not a big problem.
Swift should be quicker than Getz, but is that your primary criteria to choose?

@shobit, he is looking for small car even though he has budget for C+ segment car.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 20:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

In what way does the swift score over the getz? other than price?

I am surprised to hear the palio 1.2 has a better ride than the 1.6. I am trying to call Anuroop in Mumbai and convice my FIL to try Fiat. He worries that he will need service and no one will bail him out. Fiat if you are listening this is the tide you have to swim against.

He drove a friends GTX (S10) and lked it. Said it felt peppier than the Sail 1.6 but not as bulletproof and ASS worries him no end after all at his age he cant go running after a dealer.

P.S. just got a call. he is leaning towards the swift becuase the getz is korean. so now we have one more criteria. no korean or american cars. cars must have jap or EU lineage. I know I might get flamed for this (anti korean bias) but i am not going argue with my FIL. what he wants he gets (no pun intended).

Honda, are you listening. there is a market out here. high value high quality hatchbacks. looks like the Indian market is maturing towards C segment hatchbacks.
Old 1st July 2005, 20:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised to hear the palio 1.2 has a better ride than the 1.6. I am trying to call Anuroop in Mumbai and convice my FIL to try Fiat.
Swift scores over Getz on price. Palio 1.2 has better ride simply because GTX was supposed to be a sporty hatchback, which gives it a stiffer ride. 1.2 has more plush ride.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 21:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5. Think NHC-CVT without a boot/trunk. If Honda had a small hatchback that would be it.
They do. Its called Honda Jazz with 1.3 idsi motor. They might bring in in towards the end of the City's life cycle. But it will be pricey.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 21:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Swift scores over Getz on price.
OnRoad GLS price w.o ABS, with corprate offer is 5.37 in bangalore. Thats a reviced price.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 21:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thanks all.

The S10 and GTX are the same car except for the colour and trim right? BTW is it still available.

So this might be a GTX vs 1.2 vs Swift thing. If the GTX ride as stiff as our Sail 1.6 it is fine. my FIL likes the Sail's ride just not its space. Now to overcome the ASS fear.

The Getz has a stiffer ride than Swift? Maybe Maruti should have offered to motors with the Swift. the Esteem 1.3 and a 1.5/16V/DOHC. Suzuki has some very nice small (under 1.6L) engines.
Old 2nd July 2005, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all.

The S10 and GTX are the same car except for the colour and trim right? BTW is it still available.
Navin. The gear ratios are different for the S10 and the GTX. I dont think they make s10's or the GTX anymore but you can just give it a try with the dealers in Mumbai, they could just have one somewhere.

Dont worry about ASS so much. The Palio is not going to give them any problems. I say that coz you mentioned thay have done just 20000kms from 1999. I am close to 25000kms in about 1.75 years and not a single problem except the rear LH door central locking going kaput!

The Palio has lots of space inside. The swift is cramped. I think you should get them the 1.2 Palio, it fits their requirement. Sturdy, safe, comfortable, spacious and with enough power for them.

Last edited by 5u3zEr0 : 2nd July 2005 at 13:44.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:26   #29
BHPian

Getz fits the bill here. On space front , only indica is comparable to it.
Btw, what price drop is expected ?

Tarun
Tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 16:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So this might be a GTX vs 1.2 vs Swift thing. If the GTX ride as stiff as our Sail 1.6 it is fine. my FIL likes the Sail's ride just not its space. Now to overcome the ASS fear.
Navin

The ASS fear is not imaginary.

Remember this vehicle is for your in-laws. If they have peace of mind, so do you.

Decide well.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd July 2005 at 16:28.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote