Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 24th August 2009, 10:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Since cost is not a issue and you want a diesel please drive one and see if you are going to like it.
You will be losing financially. I don't know why you are o.k with spending more money on a diesel car but want to see the temporary joy spending less on diesel fuel day to day?
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

@sabsubs: I think you should not modify your car i.e., install CNG or LPG (still not 100% safe). That is destroying the fun in the car for cheap runs. Do not sell the i10 as mentioned buy fellows here, it does not make sense and I assume thats where your post comes in. I too do not recommend.

You ought to have thought before you bought the car and I again assume that you did not foresee the long hauls. During long runs, my city-vtec gives an avg. of Rs 3.5 /km (Petrol at 45). Indica gives Rs 2.5/km (high speed). Then comes the maintenance cost and that is where whatever is saved will get even. Cost of service city = Rs 2000 Indica Rs +5000.

So that little mathematics shows a negligible gain in a diesel + the ride is noise ridden + tires in diesel will deteriorate earlier than petrol.

Look into the future and anticipate your running. More than 3000 kms per month (highway/weekends) buy a second hand diesel Indica (assumption you will get a good car @1.5L) and do your long runs in that or better still take the train or Volvo bus if the destination is fixed (most economical options).

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:51   #33
BHPian

@Sn1p3r : why do u think the tyres in diesel deteriorates faster than petrol ?
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 10:59   #34
BHPian

Mathematically, I think the calculations still favor the i10, you seem to be getting good FE too on the Highway. I suggest you keep the i10. The Petrol- diesel comparion is a very tricky one, had you not bought the i10, I would have suggested you pick up a diesel hatch, but now that you have bought the i10, the overall maths I think would favour the i10.

I get 7.25 kmpl on my Amby Petrol which I bought second hand in great condition, I travel about 700 Kms a month, when I try and so the maths over 5 yrs between the Amby and a diesel hatch which I could pick up, the Amby still scores higher.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 24th August 2009 at 11:02.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
@Sn1p3r : why do u think the tyres in diesel deteriorates faster than petrol ?
@rageshgr : Due to weight of the heavier engine + rattles and vibrations.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 13:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
@rageshgr : Due to weight of the heavier engine + rattles and vibrations.

Cheers!
Ya that's there, unless the car and engine are very refined
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 14:17   #37
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. After carefully going through every post here, I have decided to keep my i10 for another year or so. I now completely understand that the depreciation of any new car would be high during its initial year(s). I also considered CNG & LPG fittings, but these would void the warranty hence I dropped the idea of fitting either CNG or LPG.

I also understood that even if I buy a diesel car, after selling my i10, I would be in great loss so I am delaying my diesel car purchase for another year. Hopefully I might buy a diesel car after I completely enjoy my i10 drive for some more time.

Thanks you very much for all your valuable suggestions.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote