Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th July 2005, 12:55   #1
BANNED

Default Lancer for zen ??

Guys, I'm thinking of selling my zen ( 02 ) and buying a second hand Lancer ( 01 ) !! Wud u guys recomend it or do u think its stupid to sell a firsy hand car and buy a slightly older model though in a diff segment ?? Also how much wud b a gud price for a '01 lancer ??

Its just that i'm tired of of having two hatches in the house and want one big car ... Initially was thinking of the swift but then that 2 is a hatch so makes no sense !! Also it seems there r plenty of add on mods avail for the lancer and thats tempting me a bit .

So members who own the lancer pls give me a feed back on owner ship details ... also wat all do i need 2 check out besides the usual in a used car ( i mean is there any specific wear out point that one mite over look )

cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 13:04   #2
BHPian

Why not check a Honda City mate..peppier as well, which is where the petrol engined Lancer really loses out.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 13:11   #3
BANNED

I was thinking about that but then the honda city is not in my budget !! I am getting a lancer for the money that the zen is fetching me ... and that is one reason -- also i need 2 save money as me and my friend are working on a jeep project !!! Details of that when it will b done ....mayb by my b'day ...

cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 13:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'd say, go for the Lancer. The year 2001 car was pretty good. It was not a hot performer by any standards, but a nice allrounder.
Agreed the OHC and Baleno are more thrilling cars to drive, but when you really want to enjoy yourself, you can always take your Palio out.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 13:33   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
I'd say, go for the Lancer. The year 2001 car was pretty good. It was not a hot performer by any standards, but a nice allrounder.
Agreed the OHC and Baleno are more thrilling cars to drive, but when you really want to enjoy yourself, you can always take your Palio out.
Hey, I agree that the OHC and the baleno r more fun to drive but its just that the lancer is a friends and I know that the car has been mantained pretty well !! But do u guys think it wud b a better idea to look for a second hand Baleno ?? Pls advise ... just that I dont wanna shell out mre than 2.5 ... Being a miser !!

cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 14:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

For 2.5 lakhs, you better stick with the Lancer. I'm not sure i'f you'll be able to get a good Baleno or OHC for that price.

And since you know the Lancer guy, you'll have a better idea as to how it has been maintained.

For a good Baleno/OHC, you'll atleast need 3.5 and above.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up

go get it.....good buy at 250 k...seeing that u know about the car' track record.....definately more worth than a zen
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 14:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

On maintenance front Lancer will surely be a big hole in your pocket. We have a 2001 Lancer and maintained by ACT India, Adayar. Minimum service bill would be 15K+. Iam not generalizing this for Lancer, just highlighting a area where you need to be careful before deciding.

Iam sure that running cost for HONDA is much cheaper ( not pushing you for it as I know it was not in your budget)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 15:00   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
On maintenance front Lancer will surely be a big hole in your pocket. We have a 2001 Lancer and maintained by ACT India, Adayar. Minimum service bill would be 15K+. Iam not generalizing this for Lancer, just highlighting a area where you need to be careful before deciding.

Iam sure that running cost for HONDA is much cheaper ( not pushing you for it as I know it was not in your budget)
Hey, aint 15K for a service a bit too steep !! Thanx for the warning though ..will have to look this up in detail ...

cheers
Old 5th July 2005, 15:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Minimum service bill would be 15K+
That's too much. maybe he got something replaced along with the service. I think 3-4K is more like it.

Honda city is 1000-1500 for a regular service.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 15:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
That's too much. maybe he got something replaced along with the service. I think 3-4K is more like it.

Honda city is 1000-1500 for a regular service.

Shan2nu
Exactly. 15K for a service is robbery in broad daylight. I don't think the Lancer would have done well in any satisfaction survey if this was the case. More upmarket and modern cars are serviced at lower prices.
I'm putting up two links which show the maintenance cost of a Lancer.

Maintenance - Petrol Lancer

Maintenance - Diesel Lancer
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 15:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
maybe he got something replaced along with the service.
Rightly said. On the problem report sheet, we fill the issues that was faced & everytime they say that something is worn out and needs replacement. This way the bill was so high or may the vendor would have hiked up.

Only problem is we could not find out any other authorized service stations for Lancers in Chennai.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 21:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

get the lancer. It is a nice buy at the price.

The maintainence is not high anyways. Infact HM cut the price of spares by a whooooping 67%-75% around a year ago.

BUt be sure to see that if any extra modifications are done they are done well.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 02:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Lancer is a pretty affordable vehicle.But not as much as the Honda.
A normal service should be in the range of 3k-4k as Shan2nu pointed out.All the other parts are considerably priced.
But a couple of areas where Lancer lacks on is 'power'.If you dont believe in ripping the car through every gear,its a decent vehicle to drive.
Apart from that,struts are one of its weakest parts and dont last for that long on our shabby conditioned roads.
Otherwise the ride quality,suspension,cornering etc etc are amazing.
Its also one of the favorite car for 'tuners'.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 08:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

First of all corrections to my previous post of reduction in spares. Here is the actual reduction of prices in spares.they are still too cheap and affordable.

-Firms up an arrangement with Ford India Ltd for supply of Engines and Transmissions to them in a phased manner.

-Decreases the spare part prices of Mitsubishi Lancer, the prices will be cut down at a range of 30-60% depending upon the spare parts.

about the quality. The quality was bad for 2004 but now as good as ever.
http://www.jdpa.com/news/releases/pr...se.asp?ID=2081

Lancer was received very well by automobile experts throughout the country, largely due to its technical finesse. The car's sales reached 2,866 units by the end of the fiscal 1998-99. Much to HM's delight, Lancer was even ranked as the top vehicle in India for the three consecutive years (1999, 2000 and 2001) by J. D. Powers for the least number of defects and high customer satisfaction in a countrywide survey of car owners.

Here is a test report on the mitsubishi lancer by bsmotoring. It will clear most of your doubts .The article also has information about how strong the struts are. Also has some information about the power and fuel efficiency.It is just a second off the honda mark but beats in ride, handling and control.

http://www.bsmotoring.com/1999/99aug07_1.htm

Lancer ups production to 4500 cars. Here is the link.

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (MMC) said on Monday that its Indian partner, Hindustan Motors Ltd. (HML), has agreed to expand production of Mitsubishi's Lancer sedans at an HML plant starting in January.

The annual output of Lancer vehicles at the Chennai plant is targeted to rise to 4,500 in March 2007 from about 2,200 now, an MMC spokesman said.

Lancer awarded the best midsize car award 2005 for both petrol and diesel by autocar.

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1289

my sfxi is 3 years old now. the only maintainence I have had is the oils and filter changed during the free services. My fuel efficiency is 12 with ac in city. powerhouse is decent. Additionally it has got a/c vents for rear passengers too but the ride is a bit bumpy at the back.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 6th July 2005 at 09:05.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote