Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 12th September 2009, 18:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My dad's 2001 MPFI M800 - Keep or upgrade?

Hi folks,

Really need your inputs for making a decision.
My dad got a steel grey M800 std on August 2001, and he has been driving that since.
The car has only got around 40000 kms on the odo (my dad was out of station for 4 years out of 8).
The body has some dings and bumps, but its a zero accident car.
Lately, the gear shift has become a bit problematic (stick does not slot into 2nd gear sometimes), the braking has become soft (need to pump brakes to stop in time), and the steering is HARD. But it drives like a dream machine when my dad drives it - I do not know how!!
My dad's daily commute consists of 9-10 kms on each way (total 20kms daily), some occasional drive to the relatives, and he claims that the car suits his commuting profile.
As the car is non AC and low mileage, there is no problem at all with the engine.
The insured value of the car is now only 65,000 , and after some years, I say, that he has to sell it by price of scrap.

I have been trying to convince dad to upgrade to at least an a-star/spark/i10 irde. But he does not want to change his ride.
Dad claims he is not comfortable with power steerings, and all new cars come with one (I know that there are some cars that DO come with NON PS).
Dad works as a middle tier manager in a government undertaking organization, and has 3 years to retirement.

Please advise me for or against convincing dad to get a new car, and also which car.
Old 12th September 2009, 19:11   #2
BHPian

Alto LX (A/c, Non PS) variant suits very well . Its a step ahead of the M800. Is much better and surprisingly feels solid too. A/c is fantastic, Good fuel efficiency are plus points. Rear seat is a bit cramped (For Taller people). Good discounts are available (Cash + Loyalty bonus if you exchange your present car). If budget is not a problem, then Options are Santro, Wagon R (Both Non PS available), A star, Ritz, Spark. All these are good vehicles with decent fuel economy.

Which version MPFI 800 you have?? 5 Speed??

Last edited by mnhegde : 12th September 2009 at 19:16.
Old 12th September 2009, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I do not see any reason to sell this one and go for a new one. In case you are looking for a more comfortable ride, then yes you can go for new one. But as far as possible, try to retain this beauty. It will be with you for decades. And 40K odo is nothing for this gem. Yes.
Old 12th September 2009, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is this a 4-speed or a 5-speed?
Old 12th September 2009, 21:03   #5
BHPian

Keep it ! I still love and ride my Maruti 800 which is 25 years old and has already done 1.55L kms ! And like you yourself mention, your Dad is comfortable with it ! Change comes hard to some people (like me I might add !) and especially if they have logged in a few more years in life !
Old 12th September 2009, 21:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Is this a 4-speed or a 5-speed?
Respected Sir, I myself had a Maruti Omini 2004 till last month done around 65000kms, and now sold it and went for a Maruti 800 5 speed 2002 model with only 10128kms. But since the car was least used it reqiured replacing of front wheel bearings, rear brake liners were touching and scrubbing the drum , although it was cleared after some use. You can imagine I sold a 2 year younger car for a two year older car,because of 5 speed gear box,low milage, and the car is absolutely in stock condition, even slot for music system was uncut.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a 4 speed version.
Old 13th September 2009, 23:25   #8
BHPian

Well, putting away the bondage with the car for a moment, there comes a point of affordability. Alto too has very less running cost, low fuel consumption and quality ride better than maruti 800. If you plan to upgrade your car, you may find yourself more attached due to sophistication and refined models.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Dad claims he is not comfortable with power steerings, and all new cars come with one (I know that there are some cars that DO come with NON PS).
If he starts driving power steering for one month, then will not go for ordinary steering.
My suggestion is to keep the car for 3 yrs down the line until his retirement and go for a medium size car with PS/AC.

Dude, In the mean time, tell him to put his hands on your i10 AT
Old 16th September 2009, 07:00   #10
BHPian

Why force your Dad to sell something he like's. If he likes the M800 just let him keep it, I see no reason changing, but in any case if he has to upgrade or you manage to make him upgarde anyways, then Alto LXI would be the way to go. Once your Dad starts driving with power steering, he'll not like to go back to ordinary steering anymore.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 is very very easy to drive and may be this is the reason why he prefers M800. The steering, though non PS and a bit hard has quite a bit of feel which is a good thing. I suggest you install AC in the car. This way he will have more comfortable journey.

If you still want your dad to upgrade, its nothing but alto. The AC is driven by 117cc compressor which given excellent cooling, the ride is much better than 800 and overall, its a good car.

IMHO, there is no reason to force your dad to go in for a new car. If he is comfortable with M800, why change it ? Its a different thing if a lot of highway trips are undertaken, then for safety an upgrade seems essential. Currently your father is satisfied and happy with his car, i.e. no need to force a change.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ mech

Planning for a new ride after retirement ain't a bad idea either, have to look into that.

@ musicmanaman

Dad loves the feel he gets from non power steering cars - he has driven the original willy's jeep, the old VW beetle, & the standard herald! He tells me that he is sure gonna crash due to oversteering with power steering. Let me try to make him comfortable in my i10!

@ aaggoswami

The car rarely sees highway action - its 10+10 km up n down the crowded jessore road commute for him daily. Also we have my i10 and uncle's Wagon R for longer drives. The only reason I am poking him for a upgrade is that in a few years, the M800 shall have near to scrap value!
Old 16th September 2009, 11:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep the car. If it works, why trash it. And in all probability its MUCH lesser of a tincan compared to the latest marutis.

No sweat - let him buy a new car after retirement. Don't junk it because of its age. Age is just a number

Or spend that money to sponsor a tirth trip for your dad (if he's into that sorta thing!) or a europe trip!
Old 16th September 2009, 11:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Keep the car. If it works, why trash it. And in all probability its MUCH lesser of a tincan compared to the latest marutis.

No sweat - let him buy a new car after retirement. Don't junk it because of its age. Age is just a number

Or spend that money to sponsor a tirth trip for your dad (if he's into that sorta thing!) or a europe trip!

tirth trip , haha - well said.

ya its definitely NOT a tincan M800 which one sees now a days.
Old 18th September 2009, 11:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Let him wait till retirement I'd say.

If he changes his mind then he can go for -

Santro or Alto ( NON PS Variant available )
i10

On another thought - Tata NANO ?
Closed Thread