Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 22nd September 2009, 03:05   #16
BHPian

Well I have experienced it with my esteem, my friends have experienced it with their esteems, swifts that its prone to rattle or in simple words no matter how well u maintain it it wont stay or feel new after a while, I am not able to find a better word to describe what i mean. I havent ever test driven ritz though so cant say much about it but A star does give me the same feeling.
Sat in my friends verna which is few years old and has done around 60KMS it still feels new, His swift same age which has done 40K but you can see and feel its age, when you drive it. Now a lot depends on how he treated both the cars though the owner is same and driver too. (just my opinion)
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

You can go for i10,since you already have swift from Suzuki stable have one from Hyundai as well.
A decent one with all the trims that you can choose at.
I second the RitZ with new K-series engine.

I'm against to your point of ruling out ABS an option.
Even god doesn't know when the ABS is applicable in Indian roads,thats our lane discipline.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion given your requirement outline:
1. Ritz K Series
2. I 20
3. I 10 Kappa
4. Grande Punto
Or else wait for VW Polo
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
You can go for i10,since you already have swift from Suzuki stable have one from Hyundai as well.
A decent one with all the trims that you can choose at.
I second the RitZ with new K-series engine.

I'm against to your point of ruling out ABS an option.
Even god doesn't know when the ABS is applicable in Indian roads,thats our lane discipline.
I haven't ruled out ABS - it's just that it isn't much of a concern for me. I have driven in snow storms without the ABS and that was a nightmare - but now I reflexively pump brakes before pressing them completely when there is water - and the water is not half as bad as the snow and the black ice. But I would still rather have ABS than not - it is just not AS important to me as airbags are - as it is the only such option is the Fabia and based on the feedback here - I am going to be as far from it as George Bush has been to intelligence.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo will have the same engine as Skoda Fabia and will cost you more then Fabia by atleast 20k to 30k.

Moreover the Fabia engine is a 3 cylinder, cast iron block (Heavy & Inefficient). Not the aluminium ones found in almost all other cars.
thamban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:07   #21
BHPian

@ Thamban - That's a shame. I do think that VW is going to launch it in more than one engine variant. I drove the Fabia - it's not a shabby drive although it is underpowered. Let's hope that VW uses some sense and launched better engines.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

For south Mumbai, traffic isn't all that bad and size isn't an issue.
However, I would still avoid the Punto for its huge turning radius. Out of all the options listed, nothing is better than the i10/Ritz.
If you are up to waiting, check out the new Ford hatch coming early 2010.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider the i20 magna. Its adequate for the city, looks great nad has space and good build quality. It comes within your budget too.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:37   #24
BHPian

Amongst the choices you have posted, for close to 6L OTR - you may be able to negotiate and get the Fabia 1.2 MPI Ambient version (fully loaded, as some say).

For that much money there aren't too many better cars in terms of features and pure quality (and looks too, however, that is subjective). The only premium thing it does not have is a sun roof.

True, there are only 3 pots but the engine is frugal and the torque is very good - best amongst all the petrols listed (close to 110 at 3000 rpm - if numbers matter). You will ideally hover between 1500-3000 rpm in 'normal' city driving. It would feel a tad under powered only if it is fully loaded (5 adults + luggage), AC on and going up a good slope, where you may need to be in a lower gear.

The 1.2 engine DOES NOT need premium fuel (issues were with the 1.4, which has been discontinued). On this forum, I personally have not come across any actual 'owners' (threads) who are not happy with their Fabia or have faced any issues yet (either the 1.2 MPI or the diesel). Check out the Fabia ownership thread on this forum.

Since you are based in Mumbai, there are some options on A.S.S. front (JMD has a good reputation, so far). And you'll have a choice of decent independant garages as well.

I am not suggesting this as the best or the only choice, however wanted to clear out some FACTS. Yes, I own one (1.2 MPI Classic) since the last 6 months, 5k KMS. Zero issues, happy, touch wood.

If there was another car in this list I would have to think about, it would be the i10 A/T - good VFM for that decent AUTO box.

OT - This is my first post here. I now better run to 'Introduce' myself. Cheers
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 23:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Have you thought of the i20 Magna version? For city driving, I think its VFM.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 23:53   #26

I think i10 will a good choice, its silky smooth,looks good & have good pickup to complement ...
dipakrawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 09:21   #27
BHPian

The Ritz Zxi is fabulously well equipped for the price. It has a great ride (especially if you change the stock JK Vectra to Michelins), exceptionally smooth and frugal engine , in the great tradition of Suzuki small petrol engines, and there's not much more one can demand in the form of accessories. The looks will grow on you. Remember the Santro when introduced in 1998 was derided as an ugly bug, it went on to set record sales figures.
Get on in the dark metallic blue, a gorgeous colour IMHO.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 21:32   #28
BHPian

Since you said its going to be a city car, the loaded i10 AT will fit the bill.
thegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 21:42   #29
Team-BHP Support

Not a very popular suggestion but why not the Reva.

You have the cars for situation that need you out for more than 60 kms.
The reva would make city driving fun, shopping and parking easy.
And of course will have that rare factor.

Honestly I am strongly influenced by a wonderful ownership review.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-page-1-a.html (Reva-i 2007 ownership report, picture added Page 1)
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi

The i10 Asta should serve the purpose.

The Fabia is expensive to maintain and moreover, more ofter that not, you will have to live without the Skoda Logo ;-(

The skoda logos are the ones stolen the most....
You can also check on the Grande Punto Emotion Pack with all the features you are looking at.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote