Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 3rd October 2009, 02:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you might go in for some highway driving, you can go in for the GP.

If it'll be city driving with a quest to be the first off the blocks at every red light, you can go in for the Swift.

You will not go wrong on either call IMO.

What is the OTR price for VDi + ABS? It is highly recommended.

Just go with your heart, the facts are all placed in front of you.
Old 3rd October 2009, 03:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
...The punto will be a pain to drive around in daily traffic where u need initial pick up more than anything...
Pain? I have a different observation.

Punto is better to drive in bumper to bumper city traffic conditions. The Swift D needs to be in the turbo zone to feel peppy. Punto however, seems to have a lot more low end grunt.

See, all the ownership / test-drive reports only mention about the lack of outright acceleration. The load carrying ability of the car is very much intact and feels a lot more better than the Swift D at lower RPMs. The turning radius can be a cause of concern for Punto.

Having owned a Swift D for more that two years now, I find that Punto beats Swift in all aspects other than outright acceleration. It is overall a far better car than Swift (no offence to other beloved Swift owners).

The only two reasons to buy Swift D now would be:
01. Outright acceleration / Performance / Mods / Tracks
02. Maruti - A.S.S / Peace of Mind (very important)

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 3rd October 2009 at 03:11.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Since the engine for the Swift DDIS and the MJD Punto (along with Indica)
is more or less the same ,can the spares be interchanged?

I mean can one get a spare part for a Punto from a Maruti service network?

Also if one was to keep the car for 10 long years which of the two will be better in terms of relaiblity and low cost of ownership.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 13th October 2009 at 14:54.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:26   #19
BHPian

Fiat will always be better than a Maruti when it comes to reliability. Why would you want to buy a Fiat spare from Maruti, when spares are not a problem with Fiat too? I will not suggest you trying swift's spare on punto.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Fiat will always be better than a Maruti when it comes to reliability. Why would you want to buy a Fiat spare from Maruti, when spares are not a problem with Fiat too? I will not suggest you trying swift's spare on punto.
Hi,
I am not saying i want to buy a FIAT spare from a Maruti.All i am trying to say since Maurti has a better service network than a FIAT's is it possible that one could source a spare or a get assistance from a Maruti service network since both car's share the same engine in case FIAT service center is not around.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
I am not saying i want to buy a FIAT spare from a Maruti.All i am trying to say since Maurti has a better service network than a FIAT's is it possible that one could source a spare or a get assistance from a Maruti service network since both car's share the same engine in case FIAT service center is not around.
These cars share only engine and nothing else. Why would you think that you would need "parts of en engine"? The transmission and tuning are entirely different and so is the ECU. So I don't think its a bright idea to think about "cross platform" servicing.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
These cars share only engine and nothing else. Why would you think that you would need "parts of en engine"? The transmission and tuning are entirely different and so is the ECU. So I don't think its a bright idea to think about "cross platform" servicing.
My point is in case of breakdown related to a engine wherein there is a better chance of having a MASS than FIAT A-S-S or a TATA A-S-S since MASS is more common wouldnt it be possible to get a Punto or for that matter a Vista fixed at a MASS.In simple words the guy at a MASS who knows how to fix a DDIS engine wouldn't he be able to fix the Punto/Vista engine as well.

I am not proposing that the cars be given for cross platform servicing.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 13th October 2009 at 19:45.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My point is in case of breakdown related to a engine wherein there is a better chance of having a MASS than FIAT A-S-S or a TATA A-S-S since MASS is more common wouldnt it be possible to get a Punto or for that matter a Vista fixed at a MASS.In simple words the guy at a MASS who knows how to fix a DDIS engine wouldn't he be able to fix the Punto/Vista engine as well.

I am not proposing that the cars be given for cross platform servicing.

Well it more or less depends on the fact why car has broken down. Engine related breaking down never happens if you unless you dont change oil for 50K KMS or keep driving car till red line with ever gear. But for Engine related problem only company and not delearship will be able to fix opening an Engine is a complex task and in this case only FIAT will be able to handle such a situation because the engine belongs to FIAT and Maruti is paying Fiat for the engine. Why will they take the trouble to open it up and repair.

But in case of emergency you can go anywhere Maruti guys would love to play around with Punto, at your risk, it will also kill their monotony of fixing same damn cars everyday. Hey by the way in emergency you can call FIAT assistance they will come and help.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 14th October 2009 at 10:57.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

close your eyes and buy a Swift Vdi. It may be very common but the overall package is better. Good car, excellent resale, excellent after sales, affordable spares and Maruti's best service network.

Although, Punto looks very refreshing, Interiors are not good and I believe you spent most of your time inside the cabin driving than standing outside and admiring ur ride. Ride quality of punto is better than swift but being a heavywieght, the initial pick up suffers. Swift is very peppy. Also I personally feel driver seat of Swift if better and rear of punto is better. Service reports on TBhp suggests massive improvement in Fiat's after sales support since the launch of linea and punto. Spares should not be a problem if the car sells good for 3-4 years.

only thing I believe is bad with swift is that rattling issues are common. I am not sure about Punto though. I havent driven the Punto on a longer stretch, did a test drive of about 3-4 kms but handling was good. As per reports its excellent, but I didnt get chance to test them. Swift according to is is also a good hander, just that with stock shoes cornering becomes diificult, need atleast 185/60 tyres against stock 165/70s.

If you want a hassel free experience, Swift it is..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th October 2009 at 12:26.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:36   #25
BHPian

My Vote goes for Swift - Not just because i own it ,
Main things i considered in freezing on my choices was - A.S.S , Relaibility , Safety features - Swift has all these VDI with ABS would be a sweet option ( problem is waiting period - waiting period does the justification)

Going for Mods after some time also - Swift would be aultimate choice -

I see that you have owned a Esteem - then i need not tell abt the maruti Feel good factor
Old 14th October 2009, 19:22   #26
BHPian

@Deepak:
As suggested by most of them, please TD both Swift D & Punto MJD.
I was in the similar situation 2months back. For my driving style, I liked Swift D and felt Punto MJD little sluggish compared to Swift D. Somehow I did not like the driving position in Punto. (Just my opinion though)

However, Swift D does have rattles but not that much. I settled down to Swift D because of Maruti A.S.S. only. I had bad experiences with TATA A.S.S.

But, now I hear that A.S.S in TATA has improved.

Go with your heart and then decide. Too much thinking will create confusion.
Punto MJD is a VFM. After sales would improve as there is more sales.
Old 14th October 2009, 19:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Picking a car does involve a lot more than just comparing paper specs. Go out and drive both the cars, share your experience with us.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

I cancelled my swift booking and booked a punto.

Delivery is next week. Emotion pack diesel, white color.

kdeepakk, take a TD of both vehicles. I found the punto good enough for city driving.

There's a diwali offer going on - free insurance, extd warranty and corp discount as well. I got a 27K discount, overall quite happy with the deal.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th October 2009 at 16:22.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:33   #29
BHPian

Hey reading this thread , it looks like there is a fair distribution of Punto's Vs Swift. No One car it seems has an edge.

Can there not be a Poll since I assume there would be a lot of guys who have the same doubt ?

Last edited by RP_812 : 15th October 2009 at 16:38. Reason: .
Old 20th October 2009, 21:41   #30
BHPian

a new change to the selection.........Tata Manza Diesel Aura ABS

Mods can you please add poll for these 3 cars it will be good competition.
Closed Thread