Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 12:06   #16
BHPian
 
longford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 159
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

To know which cars are doing good with their owners, check the classifieds online and in magazines. If you find a particular car make/model has few to none adverts in the publication, chances are that the owner is mighty happy with that car/model.

Another factor to be borne in mind. Your drive is a comfortable highway based 10 odd kms. Look for a car that you will enjoy the ride. IMHO, hyundai cars are a little expensive to own but it is a pleasure to have and savor. So go with your heart in it and whatever choice you make think of it like a wife choice. You will make a commitment to live with it irrespective of all the niggles and expenses. Of course, in case of a wife, its more of a life term commitment.

Spark and Santro are great cars. My observation - Santros are very agile and often seen in speedo states. Spark (erstwhile Matiz) is also a worthy car. My boss has one from the 90s. just did the paint job , battery and some other maintenance and still gives a great mileage as well.

If cost is a factor, go with chevy else for ride pleasures go with Santro.

Please don't go for the frills like the factory fitted audio etc which are not so great and push the price up. Go for a base type model with a great engine and comfort package and get the accessories fixed at a nearby reliable shop. Reason - all taxes, registration are based on the base price of the car plus you can get far better deals at accessory shops.

All the best.
longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 12:12   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Out of the cars you have listed, i10 is the best choice .period.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 12:23   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

IMO, i10 is better among the odds (you already used a maruti car -now try another machine for a change?). If you think if it is bit overpriced then Santro is next best.

Also Ford Figo is expected to come in next month - how about checking about this one. Since Ford is entering in small car segment, there may be more to offer at a competitive price (if you have a dealer near to you, just go there and check for details).

Also I feel, one should not worry about resale value now as you are going to use the car atleast for 4/5 years and who knows which car will have better resale value then?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:22   #19
BHPian
 
sreedotk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 215
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
To know which cars are doing good with their owners, check the classifieds online and in magazines. If you find a particular car make/model has few to none adverts in the publication, chances are that the owner is mighty happy with that car/model.
.

Just a thought wouldnt the chances be that the cars not seen online or in classifieds are because they did not sell well too. I see a lot of Maruti cars in classifieds.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 00:10   #20
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 471
Thanked: 796 Times
Default

Thanks guys.

The update first. Mom went for a TD of the Santro. She feels okay driving it, though getting adapted will take some time, considering she drove only 800s in the past decade and nothing with an A/C or PS before. She gave her go ahead for the Santro. We are still deliberating, but the general consensus is in favor of the Santro GL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my vote for a spark. If you're not getting a tata, get a spark. not many cars are as stable
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
IMO i10 is little over priced you will get the same comfort in new santro with much lesser price , the central console in i10 hits the leg if you are little tall.
Ofcourse spark also is a better choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I suggest go take a TD of the Spark and do a head on comparison with the Santro GL & Xeta GLS which is in the price range and make a educated decision.

Resale value is a myth. Look for used Sparks online and see how much you are being offered one for yourself.
The heart vetoes the brain. I somehow can't imagine a Spark being our ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
If cost is a factor, go with chevy else for ride pleasures go with Santro.

All the best.
Thanks buddy. Santro is on the top of our list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Out of the cars you have listed, i10 is the best choice .period.
Yeah, quite true. We will have to stretch our budget a bit though, so it is a no show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
If you think if it is bit overpriced then Santro is next best.

Also Ford Figo is expected to come in next month - how about checking about this one. Since Ford is entering in small car segment, there may be more to offer at a competitive price (if you have a dealer near to you, just go there and check for details).
Ford's maintenance cost is somewhat on the higher side. Also, we want to wrap up the new car purchase ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Just a thought wouldnt the chances be that the cars not seen online or in classifieds are because they did not sell well too. I see a lot of Maruti cars in classifieds.
You do have a point.
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 11:23   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 82
Thanked: Once
Default

I gues i10 is the best buy for you. Its a alot better than Wagon R. A couple of my friend who own it are happy with it.
del.guy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 14:43   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,328
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

i10 would be the ideal choice for your mother with good interiors & easy to drive in city.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 22:44   #23
BHPian
 
para_7k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 462
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

My suggestion is the santro. It is more powerful compared to the 800. It is more refined and one of the easy to drive cars.

Why didn't you consider the New Zen Estilo ? It has the latest engine, decent fuel efficiency, compact dimensions and improved front looks.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 06:22   #24
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 471
Thanked: 796 Times
Default

Fixed. Santro. The clincher was the price they offered for our 800 (+10000 as exchange bonus). Hopefully, next week, we will be making payment. Our only dilemma is regarding the variant. Not sure if we should go for GL or GLS.
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Fixed. Santro. The clincher was the price they offered for our 800 (+10000 as exchange bonus). Hopefully, next week, we will be making payment. Our only dilemma is regarding the variant. Not sure if we should go for GL or GLS.

Is the price difference that wide? Power windows, central locking, internally adjustable OVRM are very helpful stuff.

And you are getting the LPG one? Would suggest that too.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:23   #26
BHPian
 
harishnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quilon/ Sharjah
Posts: 512
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And you are getting the LPG one? Would suggest that too.
My suggestion is to go for the GLS. The santro is a great choice, gives you a good enough mileage and the petrol engine is absolute fun to drive.

LPG is a no go since you will be paying a higher price for it and I heard that the car is sluggish when LPG is used to run it.

PS- I was the first one to suggest Santro.

Last edited by harishnair : 20th November 2009 at 09:24.
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:15   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

If AC and PS is what you need for your car, better stick to GL instead of GLS.Else all those extra features are useful if you want to pay few more K's go with GLS.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 05:43   #28
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 471
Thanked: 796 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Is the price difference that wide? Power windows, central locking, internally adjustable OVRM are very helpful stuff.

And you are getting the LPG one? Would suggest that too.
Nope. Not really, about 20K or so.

Further 20 k for LPG. With the distance the car runs everyday,for us, it will take some time to recover that extra cost. Don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
My suggestion is to go for the GLS. The santro is a great choice, gives you a good enough mileage and the petrol engine is absolute fun to drive.

LPG is a no go since you will be paying a higher price for it and I heard that the car is sluggish when LPG is used to run it.

PS- I was the first one to suggest Santro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
If AC and PS is what you need for your car, better stick to GL instead of GLS.Else all those extra features are useful if you want to pay few more K's go with GLS.
More so, since their exchange price was above our expectation.
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 19:39   #29
BHPian
 
darklord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TVM (KL-16)
Posts: 471
Thanked: 796 Times
Default

Booked GL metallic today. Taking delivery on Saturday or Monday probably. This is the final deal:

3.66 L OTR.
Free central lock.
Free HU + 2 speakers.
Free seat covers.
Free gold coin (3 g).
Exchange bonus 10,000.
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 20:08   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default

Congrats buddy. Whats the color of the Car?!
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car driving lessons step by step vipulG Technical Stuff 21 16th August 2017 06:58
FAQ for tuning fuel injected cars - Step by step virtual buildup! ananthkamath Technical Stuff 134 12th September 2009 22:21
Dual Boot Vista/XP/Linux, Step-by-Step with Screenshots! invisiblebond Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 14th February 2008 14:47
D series mini me head swap step by step!and turbos done.. nitroxx Modifications & Accessories 6 10th March 2007 22:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks