Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 17th November 2009, 17:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

@kartho, Waiting for Chevy Beat is not a bad idea at all, After the Cruze Chevy has raised its bar when it comes to better cars. The are no longer dumping Daewoo stuff here.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 19:27   #17
BHPian

Petrol Indica? No takers?
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 20:13   #18
BHPian

I would suggest an AT and i10 AT is the cheapest AT available that I can think of. AT has great advantage in traffic conditions, easy to drive and as they say perfect for elderly as well as ladies.

You have already experienced Hyundai and on reliability and after sales service its really good. You may get a good exchange price also at Hyundai - loyalty bonus etc.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 21:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
buy a REVA KLASSE i version
easy to drive, easy to park, easy to charge.
zero emission, zero inconvenience and nice little runabout.
Helps to try and keep the planet green too!
+1 to that. Esp if only you and ur mom (max 2 people) will be travelling all the time and you want something different.
cool.aquarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Petrol Indica? No takers?
Yes, even i was thinking of Indica Vista petrol primarily bcoz it has FIAT 1.4 engine (so no compromise on technology and as it is i am a reluctant to own FIAT FAN), but it would not suit the criteria of entering thin bylanes of our city as its quite wide.

Pls let me know if New Estillo comes with the 1.0 K series A-Star engine ?
so dont you guys think it should be good.

Although satisfied with Hyundai but i have heard that Santro is still a better car than i10 (some portions of plastics in underbody area & no front impact bar). Dont want to replace with another Santro.
Moreover i want a long lasting / rough&tough engine which i guess only Japanese can provide.

Estillo owners !! how is overall packaging / handling / stability of Estillo ? Any cons of this car in particular ?

Otherwise i would obviously go for an i10.

Or is any car in small segment expected in around a years time ?
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 03:41   #21
BHPian

How about automatic versus manual ? Is that a factor for you? It may matter to your mom. Its extremely easy to drive and trust me with age come several pains and aches that make the clutch a real curse. I have recently suffered from a slipped disk problem and I hated my manual shift - it kept me from work and it still makes my back ache on anything longer than a 15 minute drive.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:23   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mum's driving? In that case, I can recommend an i10 automatic to you. Believe me, she will love you for it. The car is so damn convenient within the city.

If you are willing to consider cars at a lower price point, take a spin in a Nano. Believe me, the Nano is a "proper" car and will blow you away. It's the perfect 3rd / 4th car in a family. Cheap, basic, light to drive, seemingly happy to take abuse....and above all, super-cool! Your Mum will enjoy the nippiness, there is good room on the inside and the air-con actually works!

Last edited by Dippy : 18th November 2009 at 16:52. Reason: Changing cannot recommend an i10 AT to 'can' . I think thats what you meant :)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mum's driving? In that case, I can recommend an i10 automatic to you. Believe me, she will love you for it. The car is so damn convenient within the city.

If you are willing to consider cars at a lower price point, take a spin in a Nano. Believe me, the Nano is a "proper" car and will blow you away. It's the perfect 3rd / 4th car in a family. Cheap, basic, light to drive, seemingly happy to take abuse....and above all, super-cool! Your Mum will enjoy the nippiness, there is good room on the inside and the air-con actually works!
I second your NANO suggestion, GTO!! After 10 days in the house, its working very well. Though Tata dealerships dont have the blower switch yet to replace. The space above the engine compartment has place for 2 overnighters easily!
I wish I was camera savy to take and post snaps.

Last edited by Dippy : 18th November 2009 at 17:49. Reason: Editing GTOs quote
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mum's driving? In that case, I cannot recommend an i10 automatic to you. Believe me, she will love you for it. The car is so damn convenient within the city.
@ GTO - You mean I can recommend an i10 automatic, don't you ?

@ namit - The Spark has quite a refined and silent engine. If you find that noisy, the 3 cylinder K-series engine used in A-star/new estilo would sound like a tractor's engine to you.

- Santro/i10 ruled out since you don't want another one.
- A-Star/Estilo ruled out because of engine noise
- Spark is ruled out because you mom finds it toyish
- Indica Vista is ruled out because of its size
- Alto would not be an upgrade for your existing Santro

Reva is the only car I can suggest to you.

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I recommend your mom an Estilo. Lean to use in city, good external view, enough level of comfort, and good mileage also.

Its new K-series engine is good, though a 3-cyl one. Not much noise on idling and low speeds, but a bit noisy on higher band. But she will never drive such fast, will she?
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 17:38   #26
BHPian

I recently drove my cousin's A-star and was surprised with the peppy response of the K-series engine. It had a real nice sporty feel to it. If you are okay with the pathetic rear-space and the frog eyed head lamps, this will make a nice 2nd car for your family. Else the i10 is the option for you. But again in this segment you have quite a lot to chose from so probably a TD of these vehicles will help you arrive at your conclusion.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:07   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
@ GTO - You mean I can recommend an i10 automatic, don't you ?
Oops, I meant to say, I cannot recommend an i10 automatic enough to you. Thanks for pointing that out.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

i10 is the perfect car for you or mum

Other options - Spark, Zen Estilo & Ritz.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
1) Pls let me know if New Estillo comes with the 1.0 K series A-Star engine ?
so dont you guys think it should be good.

2) Although satisfied with Hyundai but i have heard that Santro is still a better car than i10 (some portions of plastics in underbody area & no front impact bar). Dont want to replace with another Santro.
Moreover i want a long lasting / rough&tough engine which i guess only Japanese can provide.

3) Estillo owners !! how is overall packaging / handling / stability of Estillo ? Any cons of this car in particular ?
1) Yes, it does. The new Estilo comes with K10 from A-star. Not necessarily that good.

2) Forget the front impact bar. Safety is not about just an impact bar. Santro sold in India has never even appeared for test in ENCAP. Dont compare safety of i10 and Santro.
I10 is safer than Santro/Estilo/WagonR/Spark.

Why dont you consider Ritz ? Ritz has high seating position, overall good visbility ( except for those C pillars ), has got one of the best 1.2 petrol motor available in the country today. It is safer than Santro/Wagon R/Estilo/Spark and it fulfills your need. The suspension is also very nice and gives a good ride quality.

Maruti A.S & S. network is an added advantage, plus some parts are shared with Swift, so the cost of maintenance will be less.

There are very few reviews on Estilo available. ACI mentions that the updated Estilo with K10 motor from A-star has better gearshift and handling than earlier estilo.

If you are gunning for Estilo, I would say go for Wagon R. Probably the best car here for city. The engine being based on M800's mill is reliable, is proven. The car has got very very good visibilty which none of the modern car provides.
If not that, I will suggest that you TD Ritz. Its a very nice car overall and fits your requirements pretty well.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 00:08   #30
BHPian

Chevy Beat - Saw at the GM service centre today .... didnt seem impressive

Spark - I am not saying its noisy but its noise is similar to that of old Zen which i somehow never liked ..... prefer the engine feel of Santro.

New Estillo - well if its a 3 Cylinder engine then dont you think it will give even better FE - helps, having a ultra economy car to run and maintain.

Ritz / Indica Vista - Size factor ... would not consider these suitable for thin bylanes ... the purchase objective will get defeated.

Nano - I cant take any chance with TATA's new baby, especially after 2 incidents of Fire in Nano.

A-Star - Driving posture is not what i want ........ i prefer erect posture as in Santro again.

Seems can never get over my love for Santro but somehow need variety hence no Santro

i10 - last resort but i would like to have more inputs on Estillo.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote