Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 3rd December 2009, 20:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
If you are staying in Pune, Sales and Service for Spark should not be a problem. I am owning Spark from nearly 2.5 years now (based in Pune). There are two dealers and atleast 3 service stations. Service quality is comparable to that of Maruti.
I have spark in my available options. The only concern I feel about spark is - Can spark be looked at a long term ownership? cost of owning and running as someone earlier had rightly mentioned.
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

Now you have one more new entrant to think of ! Yes the Chevy Beat is expected to be launched sometime this month with the base version priced at around 3.75 L ex showroom.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:07   #63
BHPian

The Punto "offer" is still on. See today's Times. (30K benefit + corp discounts if eligible)
Pragmites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Dude, if you can get the i10 <= 4L, then thats the car for you. Else Santro. Parents want to travel from Point A to B right ? No fuss and all. So take. If it were for you then there could have been other options.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 11:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

cannot stop this now. So spark and punto in the list
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:35   #66

@Rastapopoulos: going by the highlighted requirements from your post, I would suggest you to consider the i10 Magna AT.
I was reminded of all the requirements that I have set for myself when I was in a similar situation not very long ago.

You have to take my word for it, my parents who were both Manual Transmission users for many years now, have recently test driven an i10 AT and they are so thrilled with the comfort and convenience it offers in terms of city driving.
It was a totally stress-free drive in dense bumper to bumper traffic, even with criss-cross (senseless) city driving of fellow road users.
Even my parents were Maruti users for many years, now they want that i10 AT and nothing else.

Among your requirements points 1,2,3,5 and 6 will all be met by the i10 Automatic Transmission.

Only the price was a constraint for me, but then I had to consider, if I can help them reduce their stress while driving, it inturn helps them stay healthy and stress-free at least while on the road.
As it is going to be a long term ownership, and as the traffic will be even more maddening as the years go by, I would rather buy them something which they can drive even in their old age (say 65yrs). If I have to pay 4lacs for a brand new car, a little extra for a brand new way of convenient, comfortable, stress-free driving is not much compared to the smiles which will light their faces each day and the blessings that they will bestow on me.
So the above points have sealed the deal for me and I managed to bump my budget up by the minimum price differential between the MT and AT and head to the nearest hyundai dealer.

Please do not forget to include the i10 AT in your list of TD's, as anyway you are not in a hurry to purchase one, you have all the time in the world to reconsider your budget.
I hope this is useful while making your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I think there is an overall grey area from communication from my end. A few points to highlight so that it is clear on that I am not ignoring the requirements of the users.

1. Most of the times Users might not be able to be very clear with the requirements they have in mind.
2. I have analyzed my parents requirements and put them in the Original Post.
To reiterate on the user req (explicit requirements are in bold while implicit normal)-
  • 95% City driving
  • Smooth and Controlled drive (Rattle free)
  • Power is not the top most priority as they would not be on a racing spree, a decent power should do.
  • Cost upto 4 Lac(Power Windows + Music system these are my additions as implicit reqs out of whihc I have dropped the later)
  • Easy to maintainance
  • back seat decent space (though this would not occupied by adults 80% of the times, I would surely want it to be comfortable for the 20% it is used)
Finally my approach is
Step 1 - based on the users requirements I am shortlisting a few cars.
Step 2 - Users take rounds of test drives and then decide on what they like.

Clearly I am not finilizing a car. I am finalizing some good options out of which I woudl recomend my parents to select the one which they are comfortable with.

Friends please let me know if I should change my approach if yes, how?

And ofcourse the car to be hatchback etc are too preliminary and already discussed with them.
allenzaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 15:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Now you have one more new entrant to think of ! Yes the Chevy Beat is expected to be launched sometime this month with the base version priced at around 3.75 L ex showroom.
You bet this is getting confusing then ever. I am wondering am I the only one who ever had such a requirement? what did people do?
I think people just went quitely and bought something they liked and did not create a HUGE discussion like I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
The Punto "offer" is still on. See today's Times. (30K benefit + corp discounts if eligible)
Thanks Pragmite, that was thoughtful of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Dude, if you can get the i10 <= 4L, then thats the car for you. Else Santro. Parents want to travel from Point A to B right ? No fuss and all. So take. If it were for you then there could have been other options.
Bang on - my parents too are more worried about point A to B. I guess they come from a generation when the customer was never the priority. they just were happy in what they got.
Our generation has become more demanding , as a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
cannot stop this now. So spark and punto in the list
Hey Shishir you should empathize with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenzaracer View Post
@Rastapopoulos: going by the highlighted requirements from your post, I would suggest you to consider the i10 Magna AT.
I was reminded of all the requirements that I have set for myself when I was in a similar situation not very long ago.

You have to take my word for it, my parents who were both Manual Transmission users for many years now, have recently test driven an i10 AT and they are so thrilled with the comfort and convenience it offers in terms of city driving.
It was a totally stress-free drive in dense bumper to bumper traffic, even with criss-cross (senseless) city driving of fellow road users.
Even my parents were Maruti users for many years, now they want that i10 AT and nothing else.

Among your requirements points 1,2,3,5 and 6 will all be met by the i10 Automatic Transmission.

Only the price was a constraint for me, but then I had to consider, if I can help them reduce their stress while driving, it inturn helps them stay healthy and stress-free at least while on the road.
As it is going to be a long term ownership, and as the traffic will be even more maddening as the years go by, I would rather buy them something which they can drive even in their old age (say 65yrs). If I have to pay 4lacs for a brand new car, a little extra for a brand new way of convenient, comfortable, stress-free driving is not much compared to the smiles which will light their faces each day and the blessings that they will bestow on me.
So the above points have sealed the deal for me and I managed to bump my budget up by the minimum price differential between the MT and AT and head to the nearest hyundai dealer.

Please do not forget to include the i10 AT in your list of TD's, as anyway you are not in a hurry to purchase one, you have all the time in the world to reconsider your budget.
I hope this is useful while making your decision.
On a serious note and Shishir please dont laugh
I never had Auto Transmission in my head. But thinking calmly on what you say. I think AT should not be overlooked. How much did you pay for the AT (on road).
Old 4th December 2009, 15:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Shishir you should empathize with me.
really dude i should empathize with you. With so many choises you never know what you will end up with.Now chevy Beat has also enetred the list as it is just around 3.8L base version. IMO after all these confusion i bet you will end up with either swift/i20(even not looking back on your 4L cap). By the way i really pity you for the confused state you are having now whenever you see this thread

Last edited by shishir_bn : 4th December 2009 at 15:38.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
really dude i should empathize with you. With so many choises you never know what you will end up with.Now chevy Beat has also enetred the list as it is just around 3.8L base version. IMO after all these confusion i bet you will end up with either swift/i20(even not looking back on your 4L cap). By the way i really pity you for the confused state you are having now whenever you see this thread
Actually the week went fast due to work. And I lost track that I am supposed to go for some test drive on the weekend.
What I am thinking at the moment (never know what really happens) is that I can slowly start test driving what options are in the market while i wait for the upcoming entrants. This will give us enough time to think and also will have the users relax think and not be reactive for a particular product.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually the week went fast due to work. And I lost track that I am supposed to go for some test drive on the weekend.
What I am thinking at the moment (never know what really happens) is that I can slowly start test driving what options are in the market while i wait for the upcoming entrants. This will give us enough time to think and also will have the users relax think and not be reactive for a particular product.
That will be the best thing i feel. Just start TD on every vehicle that has been mentioned and by the time autoexpo end new vehicles will be ready for TD and you will review of them also. Maruthi is coming out with 3 small cars so you never know
Old 4th December 2009, 15:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
That will be the best thing i feel. Just start TD on every vehicle that has been mentioned and by the time autoexpo end new vehicles will be ready for TD and you will review of them also. Maruthi is coming out with 3 small cars so you never know
Why ohh Lord why more cars to confuse me
But just a thought - are those going to mean that WagonR or alto are becoming history?
Old 4th December 2009, 16:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why ohh Lord why more cars to confuse me
But just a thought - are those going to mean that WagonR or alto are becoming history?
That is what the current new we have got from one of the thread. Just check this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...small-car.html. So you have some more time to get confused all over again.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Relax buddy those are just concepts so it may take a good 6 months to 1 year before they are put into production. The only new car from the Maruti stable to be launched is the O2 or Versa replacement.

Edit : After the Auto Expo you could probably add Nissan Micra to the list !

Last edited by longhorn : 4th December 2009 at 16:15.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 16:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

So Nissans Mirca also got added. Just see this thread for yourself and get ready for the shock of your life. See how many cars and its variants will be displayed in autoexpo.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-expect-7.html (AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?)

{{{OT}}}imagine all these on the roads and you doing TD. man i am not able to see your situation.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Relax buddy those are just concepts so it may take a good 6 months to 1 year before they are put into production. The only new car from the Maruti stable to be launched is the O2 or Versa replacement.

Edit : After the Auto Expo you could probably add Nissan Micra to the list !
No I dont think Nissan is an option for me. The car might be good but reliability of the new model, owning and maintainign cost and also the A.S.S does not look predictable.
I am saved of this addition to the list.

Quote:
So Nissans Mirca also got added. Just see this thread for yourself and get ready for the shock of your life. See how many cars and its variants will be displayed in autoexpo.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-expect-7.html (AUTO EXPO 2010 - What to Expect ?)

{{{OT}}}imagine all these on the roads and you doing TD. man i am not able to see your situation.
On the lighter note I might just staty happy with my existing car and forget going through this trauma.