Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th December 2009, 11:52   #91
BHPian

On thinking on how to give a TD report of cars which have already been long in the market and there exists detailed TD reports on the forum. Also largly the TD was done on how my mom and wife comfortable with the vehical. I however alos did a bit of driving of them to see what I am recomending to my family members.

So I will not give a detailed TD report as I think every minute detail already must exists on the forum. I will just give an overview of how did the TD go and the thoughts on the specific car.
Saturday - TD of Maruti Cars.
Dealer - Millennium Mobility Pvt. Ltd
Cars Test Driven - WagonR and Ritz
Route - Old Pune mumbai highway and rangehills (for those who know pune)
We reached the showroom and had to wait for the person I had spoken on the phone for 10 mins as he was already on a test drive with some other client.
There was some commotion on why some other guy was not attenting to us and someone else was scolded and sent to us. He came to us reluctantly in a bad mood. Showed us the brouchers explaing us the specs of WagonR.

WagonR TD Summary -
Finally the concerned person arrives and we go to see the WagonR duo. The feedback is not just my but the users + my feedback. (I know there would be Questions on why should my feedback matter when I am not going to use it)

Observations - It was a BIG turnoff.
Reasons -
The vehical for test drive was in a poor conditions would shut down too often initially.
The plastic looked really cheap.
Too much Rattles, thuds, creaks.

Performance- Well I did not even feel like trying to analyze it. It recalled me of our old Omni. Just I felt this car was spacious and roomy for 4 passengers.

Result - This was definetly out of the options out of which my parents want to select the car.

Later in the day I took a moment to think and realised WagonR might not be such a bad car after all the market share it has. It was just the TD vehical whihc made it look that way. I went to my neighbour who owns a WagonR and asked him to show his car. This time the doors clicked smarter and it was an okay drive.
But on that note too I think WagonR is really not what I want as I think its time for the car to phase out and come up with a new look.

Ritz TD Summary -
After the WagonR drive we decided to see how Ritz was though it is not in our budget.

Observations- The car was definetly better (Cant compare it to a WagonR) than the previous ride. Mom liked Ritz (as a feedback not that she wants to buy it)
Ride Quality was good and so was the space. I felt it was also very spacious and roomy for 4.
Mom/Wife (the actual users) felt it to be a big larger car. Guess thats because they used to drive M800 and the view and overall power would take time to get adjusted to.

Result - A good car but not within the budget. Also the dealer is not giving any discount on Swift or Ritz.

I am writing about the Sunday visits to chevrolet, Fiat and Hyundai in a while.

Last edited by Rastapopoulos : 7th December 2009 at 11:55.
Rastapopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 12:28   #92
Senior - BHPian

Superb dude..Come on..waiting to see how you felt for the other cars and what is the final call also??
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 12:38   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
  • 95% City driving
  • Smooth and Controlled drive (Rattle free)
  • Power is not the top most priority as they would not be on a racing spree, a decent power should do.
  • Cost upto 4 Lac (Power Windows + Music system these are my additions as implicit reqs out of whihc I have dropped the later)
  • Easy to maintainance
  • back seat decent space (though this would not occupied by adults 80% of the times, I would surely want it to be comfortable for the 20% it is used)
Finally my approach is
Step 1 - based on the users requirements I am shortlisting a few cars.
Step 2 - Users take rounds of test drives and then decide on what they like.

Clearly I am not finilizing a car. I am finalizing some good options out of which I woudl recomend my parents to select the one which they are comfortable with.

Friends please let me know if I should change my approach if yes, how?

And ofcourse the car to be hatchback etc are too preliminary and already discussed with them.

Ask to try Swift VXI (petrol) and if you take VXI, i recommend to take VXI with ABS.

The best way for them to decide is test drive at least 1 year old cars and see - if that is possible. Because all new cars are too good.
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 13:06   #94
Senior - BHPian

@ Rastapopolous
You need to prioritize your requirements first. If you are looking for a proper 5 seater,then forget about the WagonR/Spark. Only the Indica/Vista is a proper 5 seater hatch. The i10 and Santro, though slightly better than the WagonR/Spark in terms of rear seat space, can't hold a candle to the Tatas as far as space is concerned. Write down your requirements in order of priority and go for the one that best meets or is closest to your requirements.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 13:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Ask to try Swift VXI (petrol) and if you take VXI, i recommend to take VXI with ABS.

The best way for them to decide is test drive at least 1 year old cars and see - if that is possible. Because all new cars are too good.
I dont think Swift comes in the budget we have (Ritz too is not within our budget)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
@ Rastapopolous
You need to prioritize your requirements first. If you are looking for a proper 5 seater,then forget about the WagonR/Spark. Only the Indica/Vista is a proper 5 seater hatch. The i10 and Santro, though slightly better than the WagonR/Spark in terms of rear seat space, can't hold a candle to the Tatas as far as space is concerned. Write down your requirements in order of priority and go for the one that best meets or is closest to your requirements.
I do not require a 5 seater car. 90% of time time it would be 1/2 seats occupied including driver. I just obeserve the space point because for those 10% of the times I was hoping for something better than what the M800 has to offer. Back seat is not the top priority.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Superb dude..Come on..waiting to see how you felt for the other cars and what is the final call also??
Shishir- I will soon write on that.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:41   #97
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you i10 is the best buy. Never look back.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:19   #98
BHPian

Sunday morning

First Stop - B U Bhandari Auto Wakdewadi
Car to be test driven - Punto Petrol base version
Situation - there was some renovation going on and the BU bhandari groups sales manager or someone of his stature took us to the service area.
He courteously explained the details of Punto. However test drive was not possible so he recomended we going to the other office of theirs some 10 kms away. (Pashan Road). he provided the Broucher and the cost details and gave me his contact number.

Second Stop - Kothari Wheels Wakdewadi.
Car to be test driven i10 (the most widely recomended as of now - I think)
Again some renovations and have to sit in a noisy indoors where some man explains the 1.1 and 1.2 engines and the features in different variants. I ask for a test drive and he says no vehical is available currently. They are having a roadshow in my residential societ on the 8th of dec and he has asked me to check the car there.
Asked him to see a car to check the interiors, features, space etc. He took us to the car park and showed us some customers Magna.
I also appraised him that I wanted to exchange a car against it and would need a valuation. Imagine to the horror he looked at my new Fiesta and asked me if this was the car to be exchanged.
I stood for a moment and burst out laughing asking him if people come to exchange new cars. (I wonder who would exchange a fiesta for a i10? unless he is totally fed up with his car or is in a financial crisis)
He went to call someone who would be evaluating the M800 at my society on the 8th leaving me laugh and mock at him with my family.

Third Stop - Chevrolet , Shreyans Ganeshkhind road
Situation - An almost closed showroom. One man washing his bike. the chowkidar sitting in his chair trying to understand why are we there.
On understanding that we came for a TD he quickly helped us park the car inside and opend the doors and asked us to sit. Explaing how sundays are closed etc. The guy washing his bike was the sales exec and he rushed in a to join us to understand our req. Explained the Specs and explained the huge discount they are offering (50K +)
we asked for a TD and he took us to a spark standing outside in the parking. He gave me the keys and I passed it on to my mom. He surprisingly was okay with sitting behind with me and not with the driver. the boundry exit of the showrrom has to go over the footpath on the busy Ganeshkhid road. there is a little slope created for the cars to move out. Mom missed the judgement on the new car because of the slope and the footpath and the traffic and a new ca. She did not see where the slope was and direcly jumped off the footpath with a thud. The car stuck on the high footpath elevation. The chowkidar making noise about how he was correcly directing and we getting down as the car was shut off. Nothing major had happened except the panic amongst all. The executive was not willing to take the car out of the mess. So i got in and reversed it from the situation to realise one thing. The power lacked to bring it back to the Footpath after the fall.
After the chaos- Mom back in the drivers seat and we drove off.
Observation- I think its a cute car. Actually it is a perfect car to fit all my requirements EXCEPT Long term ownership for which I am a bit sceptical along with A.S.S. Also this was an apealing option due to the cost.
Result- This is still a good to go option though the 2 factors of long term ownership and A.S.S

Stop fourth - B U Bhandari Pashan Road
Observation - It was almost 1.00 pm when we reached the showroom. Gave them the reference of the manager who had sent us there. We were asked to sit till the concerned person came from a test drive. I took the liberty to sit in the Vista and the lovely Nano. Trust me guys I fell in love with the little car. Its really a miracle. the tata reputation, the noise and the long term ownership concerns doesnt make me think about it. (I know this is not a post telling you about my picnic at the tata's )
It was 30 mins and still no one came up. We were getting impatient. This was a more like a govt office where customer comes and goes and no body is bothered.
Finally the concerned person came and we asked him for a Punto TD. He asked us to wait till he could search for the Keys. The security had gone for lunch where as we were still starving. The keys were not traceble and we said we will wait outside. 5 minutes later some people went for a TD who were already been waiting for eternity. We lost our patience and told them we will be back as we did not want to do a TD with a bad mood.
One important observation was of the door lock for rear passengers really has a bad platic quality. It did not have finish and also was too soft. We did not get it the car but just an observation from what we observed the open car.

Result - I am not sure we will go back
So to summarize the weekend. I think we need to look for i10 in the next few days and also at what buy back we get for the M800. I am also in touch with ford for the Figo updates.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

superb man..So finally after 7 pages of lecture from everyone you started the TD but for your luck i10 is still in the wings for a TD
Old 7th December 2009, 18:57   #100
BHPian

Quote:
superb man..So finally after 7 pages of lecture from everyone you started the TD but for your luck i10 is still in the wings for a TD
I am back home and see a notice about the Hyundai TD and free checkup in the society. So i hope to get more details on i10 provided I come back home on time.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:39   #101

Quote:
I am back home and see a notice about the Hyundai TD and free checkup in the society. So i hope to get more details on i10 provided I come back home on time.
That was quite a TD tour you had ! A whirlwind Sunday !

And you are right on the dot about your observations.

The thing that put me off in the Wagon R was indeed the cheap plastics, It constantly reminds you that you are sitting in a small hatchback.

The Spark is a cutey no doubt. But again you are right about the A.S.S. That part is still on shaky grounds. A very good car, if only they would open more outlets and more service stations.

The i10 no doubt overcomes the above limitations, but still it would have been nicer if you had been able to take a TD of the Punto.

You would have been tired of hearing this at this forum, but still I have got to say this-- The i10 drives like a dream, you (or the users !) would enjoy driving this car.

Since the car would be mostly driven in the city, you can TD both the 1.1 irde and the 1.2 kappa model, though personally I feel the kappa is good enough for the city and the highways.
carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:56   #102
Senior - BHPian

So today is the D day for you to do a TD on i10. Did you check the 1.2lt Punto also as many had mentioned over here. Ok elave it. try the i10 and tell us how you felt
Old 8th December 2009, 10:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine View Post
That was quite a TD tour you had ! A whirlwind Sunday !

And you are right on the dot about your observations.

The thing that put me off in the Wagon R was indeed the cheap plastics, It constantly reminds you that you are sitting in a small hatchback.

The Spark is a cutey no doubt. But again you are right about the A.S.S. That part is still on shaky grounds. A very good car, if only they would open more outlets and more service stations.

The i10 no doubt overcomes the above limitations, but still it would have been nicer if you had been able to take a TD of the Punto.

You would have been tired of hearing this at this forum, but still I have got to say this-- The i10 drives like a dream, you (or the users !) would enjoy driving this car.

Since the car would be mostly driven in the city, you can TD both the 1.1 irde and the 1.2 kappa model, though personally I feel the kappa is good enough for the city and the highways.
Just a thought whihc I already had but kept it on hold till the test drive and the Queries after that. The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is around 15K. Now does it make sense to go for a 1.1

How muich of a difference should I expect in the 2 on a daily city driving life? any other thoughts on these?

Quote:
So today is the D day for you to do a TD on i10. Did you check the 1.2lt Punto also as many had mentioned over here. Ok elave it. try the i10 and tell us how you felt
Yes sire. I have already asked dad and my wife to take a TD in the noon. As the roads would have lesser traffic. I too hope to catch up the TD later in the day.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

So the report will be given to us by evening then.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:56   #105

Quote:
Just a thought whihc I already had but kept it on hold till the test drive and the Queries after that. The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is around 15K. Now does it make sense to go for a 1.1

How muich of a difference should I expect in the 2 on a daily city driving life? any other thoughts on these?
The difference in mileage (if thats your question) won't be that much. In fact the company claims that the kappa gives more mileage than the irde due to the newer, lighter engine but in reality its not so.

It is the drive which makes a difference because some people find the irde engine to be more peppy and responsive (ala santro) than the kappa which is more sedate comparatively.

The irde though lacks the power on the highways whereas the kappa's 1.2 engine does not. The real power of the Kappa gets unleashed only at higher speeds. I think her sweet spot lies at around 80 KMPH where she just drives nope just glides like a model.

But all said, for a little more you get the new Kappa engine and if you and your users are like me --who don't like to fire off the starting block like a rocket and prefer a more sedate start-- you would find the Kappa to be good enough.

I TD-ed both the irde and the kappa before I bought mine but to be honest I just let my heart take a decision and so I went for the newer Kappa.

But more experienced people might feel the difference to be substantial. so its upto you to decide -- just make sure that you take both of them out for a spin.

waiting for your results.
carbine is offline   Reply With Quote