Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 3rd December 2009, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Default Looking for a hatch back with 1.3 multijet diesel

Guys I'm planing to buy a diesel hatchback with 1.3 Multijet engine. My options are Swift, Ritz, Punto, Palio and Indica Vista, and the budget is 5.4 lakhs (on road). My monthly running would be around 1500-1700 km, mostly with in Mumbai city plus couple of trips to Pune. I'll keep the car for next 4 years and majority times I drive solo. I'm thinking of Ritz as it is new in the market, good driving position, and Maruti is giving good discount in this diesel model. Can you guys help me to choose the right one? Thanks.
PS: Earlier I had a MPFI Zen Lx and enjoyed the car in Mumbai city traffic as well as in the Exp. way.
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:33   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Guys I'm planing to buy a diesel hatchback with 1.3 Multijet engine. My options are Swift, Ritz, Punto, Palio and Indica Vista, and the budget is 5.4 lakhs (on road). My monthly running would be around 1500-1700 km, mostly with in Mumbai city plus couple of trips to Pune. I'll keep the car for next 4 years and majority times I drive solo. I'm thinking of Ritz as it is new in the market, good driving position, and Maruti is giving good discount in this diesel model. Can you guys help me to choose the right one? Thanks.
PS: Earlier I had a MPFI Zen Lx and enjoyed the car in Mumbai city traffic as well as in the Exp. way.
You say you plan to keep it for atleast 4 years, the punto will not fit into your budget.

For your budget, If you want good resale, handling & used to rattling, then stick to swift.

I don't have experience with the Vista's
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

For your budget Ritz/Swift will be the best fit. very good and comfort driving and will suit your requirement.punto is on the extreme side.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
For your budget Ritz/Swift will be the best fit. very good and comfort driving and will suit your requirement.punto is on the extreme side.
Hi Mr_Bean and Shishir_bn,
Thank you for the feedback. I just check the on road price of Fiat GP Active Diesel, registration at Navi Mumbai and that is well with in my budget. Should I go for Punto or stick to Ritz/swift?

What about the parts costs in case of maruti and Fiat for the same 1.3 multijet engine?
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Dear gadd!

the cost of parts is though a major factor in the long run, it isnt the only one. cost of running is the most important apart form safety and comfort. do take a TD of indica vista and consider it as a strong option against the swift. the two are comparable in each feature. try to stick to petrol since your running isnt quite a lot.
Good luck with the decision making.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its a close call between Vista and Ritz.
If your priority is more on space and comfort, go for Vista - but compromise a little on niggeling TATA issues and not so pleasent (compared to Maruti), after sales.
However if priority is more on reliability, best after sales, go for the Ritz. Compromise being not so spacious as Vista, probable rattling, and slightly hard gearshift.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I suggest the Hyundai i10? 1.2? Your total cost of ownership will be same if not lesser including interest/EMI costs.

You get top notch service, a non rattly non-cost cut body, AND the FUN of driving a high revving petrol!

PS: Even more so because city traffic = crawl (atleast in gurgaon/delhi) and swift diesel is a pain - try moving it in bumper to bumper traffic (<10kph) to realize the difference! Highways the multijet is good, but in city, frankly the petrol wins it.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hi Mr_Bean and Shishir_bn,
Thank you for the feedback. I just check the on road price of Fiat GP Active Diesel, registration at Navi Mumbai and that is well with in my budget. Should I go for Punto or stick to Ritz/swift?

What about the parts costs in case of maruti and Fiat for the same 1.3 multijet engine?
If you can see the puinto then nothing like it. One of the best cars you can have it. do a TD and see for yourself. this is IMO
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for Ritz if you like the looks. For swift diesel, one has to wait for months.
In Bangalore ther's almost 40K discount for Ritz diesel.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 21:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ritz Disel is my choice here. A fresh looking new car.

Swift has long waits and also a new variant / facelift is exepected soon.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 23:51   #11
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestion, booked Fire Brick Red Maruti Ritz Vdi today, will keep you updated once get the delivery of the car.
Old 15th December 2009, 20:17   #12
BHPian

Another addition of Ritz Vdi in Team BHP, got the delivery of my Fire Brick Red Ritz Vdi yesterday. A initial review as well as the photo of the Ritz will come soon, look out for this space.