Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 15th August 2005, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Default alternative to long wait period of swift

Help needed from expert team-bhpians.

One of my friend wishes to immediatly buy a car with approx budget of 5.5L (ex showroom Mumbai)

With Swift out of the list due to long wait period. Please advise from the below alternates.

1. Ford Ikon
2. Accent
3. Getz
4 Corsa 1.4 GSi or Elite
5 Indigo petrol
6 Any other choice in this budget.

His preferences are ( Not in preference order)
a. Petrol engine
b. Ride comfort
c. Driverability
d. low maintenance cost / less maintaince ( good quality make)
e. Safety

His daily drive will be around 60Km.
His current inclination is towards Corsa Elite.

Please advise.

mods due to my eligibility issue can't post this in 'which car' group. If allowed please move it there.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 22:30   #2
BANNED

go for opel corsa sail....or go for a used honda city...or elite only
dadudeonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 08:56   #3
BHPian

Why dont you look at the Fiat Petra!! This is a good buy and atleast three of my frineds who own it dont have any problems with the car or its up keep.
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Thumbs up

I would say Corsa 1.4...
Else Used City...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 10:09   #5
BHPian

His usage 60kms/day clearly represents he should buy a disel car.
tabrez02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Smile

tabrez02 this guy is looking for a petrol car...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 10:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Ford Ikon : 5.5 lakh means 1.3 which is a tad underpowered
Accent : Great Car, though a bit dated and too common
Getz : Lovely verhicle, though a hatch. But your friend was looking at a hatch in the first place, right?
Corsa : No idea. But with Aveo coming soon may become the step child for GM(A la Astra)
Indigo Petrol : Good power, okay mileage, but poor refinement. Take test drive, but others are better. Only thing goes for her is the cheap price for a sedan with lots of space

I would suggest go for the Getz, but if boot is a necessity Accent and Corsa are both good buy's. But before taking any decision take test drive. A very very good car may be uncomfortable for some people due to their build. My cousin found octavia too cramped as he is 6+ and pretty wide too. So on passenger seat he could not make his legs fit.

So before listing the options always take a test drive, narrow down the options and then list on team-bhp.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 16:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Ford Ikon : 5.5 lakh means 1.3 which is a tad underpowered
Accent : Great Car, though a bit dated and too common
Getz : Lovely verhicle, though a hatch. But your friend was looking at a hatch in the first place, right?
Corsa : No idea. But with Aveo coming soon may become the step child for GM(A la Astra)
Indigo Petrol : Good power, okay mileage, but poor refinement. Take test drive, but others are better. Only thing goes for her is the cheap price for a sedan with lots of space

I would suggest go for the Getz, but if boot is a necessity Accent and Corsa are both good buy's. But before taking any decision take test drive. A very very good car may be uncomfortable for some people due to their build. My cousin found octavia too cramped as he is 6+ and pretty wide too. So on passenger seat he could not make his legs fit.

So before listing the options always take a test drive, narrow down the options and then list on team-bhp.
I ditto TSK on all the comments. Spot-on. Getz does appear to be the best option.
@TSK
Re the Octy, my feelings exactly (your cousins vital stats are similar to mine ). I found the pax seat (upfront) poorly designed for tall(6'+??) paxes. Even with the seat pushed right back, knees still knock the dashboard.

Cheers
Xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
a. Petrol engine
b. Ride comfort
c. Driverability
d. low maintenance cost / less maintaince ( good quality make)
e. Safety
Not sure about point "e". Almost similar to my requirements when I was searching for a car. Zeroed in with used OHC (My craze played big role) & later settled with newSwift.

If you can get reasonable run OHC, best bet in my opinion, though some might not prefer used cars.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 00:41   #10
BHPian

I would suggest Getz (as he wanted a similar car in the Swift) or the Corsa Sail.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 01:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think he was going for the hype insteead of the hatch..

if i was him, i'd go for the Corsa ELITE!! Black witth the beige interior..you cant get that much leather in 5.5lc range...
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 10:31   #12
BHPian

Unhappy

somwhat a similar situation is with me.....

i am not only tired waiting, i am waiting for a hatch that can make me loosen my purse.....and i need a vehicle urgently now...even considering a bike...which i never liked in the first place.....

i was hoping that swift will fulfill it....but the engine and quality is such a let down, and the mad rush is one thing i dont want to get into....cannot put cash in somthing of that sort and then wait for 6 months or maybe a year...who knows???

now i have these options :

1. hyundai getz.

2. maruti swift. ( but i want my vehicle in under two months, will have to push things real hard for that).

3. corsa sail. ( but i know it is retiring now).

4. old OHC ( the only car in this country for which i can digest buying an old one....).

5. palio 1.6 sport. ( the one yr support is a knot in dad' mind, so he wants me to look for a old one..which will cost way less, considering the present ASS story to continue for some time)

6. fabia/aveo( and jazz?????..is it landing in india ??) ...( should be able to satisfy the petrohead in me, and the economist in dad...and the expectations will be sky high after roughly say two years in waiting patiently...)...and any idea when i get to see them??

7. ford ikon/opel corsa elite/hyundai accent/tata indigo TDI.....all the others are dead except indigo..but then, i want a silent machine and ride comfort.

8. petra ( good car, but again, support is required).

the expectations from the machine will be :

1. peppyness.
2. ride quality and space comfort...atleast in the driving seat...for a pretty tall man.
3. reliability and safety.
4. mileage ( anything 11+)..
5. responsive sales and service people.....a second time no to somthing that is just to ask for can pi$$ me off.

P.S: sorry for such a long post...help man...i am really sick of this now
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 10:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Corsa Sail is available for 3.79lakh for 12 days only. So you can go for that!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 11:14   #14
BHPian

read that already....but aint the days of the corsa too less on the scene?????......money aint the top priority man......i have a limit of 5.5 and i need peace of mind and satisfaction
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 11:41   #15
BHPian

Default Umm..

@ BuRnT RuBbEr
My 2 cents, if you please.

1. Finalize the segment. From your posts, it appears a hatch is what you want. Stick to it.

2. Having done the deed as in 1, your options narrow down to Swift or Getz. Enough Gyaan available on the forums on this topic. Wish to add the following though;

Swift - Can be arranged in 2 days flat - Color and model of your choice. Just spend that extra 25K as premium.
Getz - Ditto for availablity. The time to buy is NOW as Hyundai plans to jack-up prices by middle of Sept (Economic times, current date news).

Keep it simple and make your decision.

Cheers
Xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote