Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 01:53   #1
Default New car (4.5L otr) i10 1.2 vs a-star vxi

Hey guys, I've trolled around the other threads, esp Rastapopoulos's and have gotten decent insights from there , my requirements being slightly different as am getting this for myself:
So would like suggestions to compare between i10 1.2 magna/sportz vs a-star vxi .

Its my first car and my requirements are more or less:
- want a city car which can handle highways well (sporadic long drives), but mainly city commute - so agile handling is primary criteria
- 4.5L OTR is the limit i've set myself,dont really wanna exceed it for i20 ,etc
- safety equipment (abs , airbags ) would be more preferred than power ( a-star vs i10 here)

Will go on TD's on the weekend,but reading online, what I want suggestions on is:
- it isnt clear if A-star has foldable rear-seats or not .That really isnt very practical , + for i10
- A-star has ABS + air bag , + for A-star
- i10 has a muchos better engine , + for i10 , but considering that I pretty much consider myself to be a safe driver 0-80/100 rather than go quick, is A-star's engine a let down even in city acceleration or highway speed?
- car stability ?
- rear seat comfort?
- boot space ?

any other views will be appreciated as well.

Last, I live in mumbai/navi mumbai ,so service shouldnt be an issue, but do let me know of any discounts / dealer discounts you may know of here.

Muchas Gracias!
Old 10th December 2009, 08:58   #2

I may not be answering "exactly" what you want here. but having seen / sat in an Astar, I wanted to add my two cents.

1) A-Star generally feels / looks cramped (No offence meant to owners), I am a 6 footer and my dad (65 +) had a difficult time for the ingress / egress.

2) The engine is slightly coarse, probably because of a 3 pot one.

3) Boot space is very limited, even though you may be driving in the city, it would be difficult to plan out for a quick weekend getaway considering the boot size.

4) Rear seat IMHO (and my dad) felt claustrophobic / cramped. I am not sure if it is the roof line or the windows getting angular and closing at the end, it felt sort of dark (hope you get what i am expressing here).

I will let the experts comment on much important things. Hope my views help you.

Old 10th December 2009, 09:16   #3

I have had the opportunity to drive both A-star and the i10. dont remember the variant. ito it was the top of the line kappa i guess with sunroof. even had the opportunity to drive a i10sportz.
suzuki has a huge reputation and a widely spread network but IMO in comparison between the two you've you've chosen i10 does stand better in almost all perspectives. don't ask the details cause i am not quite equipped with the boot space in litres and stuff.

Maybe experts would be able to throw some more light on this.

Best of luck in choosing your car.

Old 10th December 2009, 10:03   #4

The rear seats of A-star are really cramped and as mentioned by @vj_carlover, it is extremely difficult for a elderly person to get in and out of the a-star back seats.
If your requirement is for only 2 persons to travel in city or on highway then A-star would suit. If anything more than that go for i10.
if you put 3 laptop bags, the boot is full.

Here is a superb review of A-star by @sidindica
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html (Maruti A-Star review + test Drive)

Last edited by rk_sans : 10th December 2009 at 10:06.
Old 10th December 2009, 10:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note:

Please continue in one of the existing threads.

Example: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...i-i10-era.html
Closed Thread